• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

rajapruk

Forum Donor
OPPO Sonica. Maybe it is even slightly better than UDP-205!?

Veri

Master Contributor
OPPO Sonica. Maybe it is even slightly better than UDP-205!?

It has the same internals as far as DAC stage goes. Sonica ≤ UDP-205. There really shouldn't be any surprises.. but if anyone has one to send to amir I'm sure he'd be willing to verify :)

rajapruk

Forum Donor
The top-shelf audiophile dacs like MSB, Dcs, Chord etc would be very interesting.

Jimmy

Looks like they are merging the FiiO E10k and the Q1 MkII together.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...now-the-all-new-desktop-dac-amplifier.889473/

The DAC probably got some improvements and now has DSD support and USB-C.
Shame that single-ended power is actually lower than the current E10k while you have to use the balanced output to equal the E10k.

Wish they just shove a DAC into the K5 and make a nice all in one unit.

It's not the newer k5 (lower output impedance) but the monoprice desktop amp and dac is equivalent to a fiio e09k (virtually identical HP amplifier section) with an internal DAC, although I must say that I'm not a fan of the embedded DAC (PCM1793), but for the price I think it's good enough.

eugenius

I have a second suggestion: a portable sound recorder, the Sound Devices MixPre3.

Great reputation for reliability and sound quality, excellent specs, good headphone out and a swiss army knife of audio. If it can hang with audiophile DAC's ... the value is there.

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-3

Attachments

• BANNER-MixPre-3_REC.png
    BANNER-MixPre-3_REC.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 179
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Still waiting for Phono stage comparos. ;)

Stump909

Accidentally purchased a Non-DSD Topping NX4. Thought it was a steal and by the time I realized it was too late to cancel. I'd be willing to send it for testing at somepoint the future, assuming I don't luck out.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Veri

Master Contributor
Please review the Audio-GD R2R DACs, R-28, R-1 or R-7. Thanks

Some off-forum measurements:

R2R-11: reddit
An older R2R: SBAF (for what it's worth).

Both terrible. Just riddled with noise and harmonics. I guess some people like this sound but it's so far removed from "flat" sound it's just getting funny.
All audio-gd products are fully NFB: no-feedback design from buffer to output. An engineer's worst nightmare, basically :D:D

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some off-forum measurements:

R2R-11: reddit
An older R2R: SBAF (for what it's worth).

Both terrible. Just riddled with noise and harmonics. I guess some people like this sound but it's so far removed from "flat" sound it's just getting funny.
All audio-gd products are fully NFB: no-feedback design from buffer to output. An engineer's worst nightmare, basically :D:D
I own the R2R-11 and I like how it sounds, much more than my Chord Mojo which has superior performance (on paper). I had a Topping D30 too but already sold it off after a few weeks of ownership coz I didn't like it how it sounds. I'm planning to build a streaming setup and am looking for a good measuring DAC, right now I'm leaning towards buying a Khadas Tone board after seeing how it performs on Amir's tests (and it's cheap too!).

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I own the R2R-11 and I like how it sounds, much more than my Chord Mojo which has superior performance (on paper). I had a Topping D30 too but already sold it off after a few weeks of ownership coz I didn't like it how it sounds. I'm planning to build a streaming setup and am looking for a good measuring DAC, right now I'm leaning towards buying a Khadas Tone board after seeing how it performs on Amir's tests (and it's cheap too!).

I'd be pretty confident the Khadas will sound exactly the same as the D30 and the Mojo, TBH. You might be better off sticking with the R2R-11, or searching for something else with audible distortion that you're likely to enjoy the sound of.

Top Bottom