• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

which amplifier suits Wilson Benesch Discovery 3

hushpuppy

Recently i am looking for a power amplifier or integrated amplifier to suit my Wilson Benesch Discovery 3 loudspeaker.
Here's my list
1.Ypsilon phaethon integrated (110W)
2.Pilium odysseus integrated (200W)
3.Nagra Classic AMP power amplifier(100W)
4.Soulution 511 power amplifier(120W)
5.Boulder 1160 power amplifier(300W)
6.Dan D'Agostino proqression S300 power amplifier(300W)

I am very confused that how much power can drive this pair of loudspeakers?
which one suits best?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the Discovery 3 is like the 3zero, it’s a bookshelf that seems pretty easy to drive

6 Ohms Nominal / 4 Ohms Minimal
Sensitivity89dB @ 1-Meter on axis, 2.83V Input

On that list, I like Boulder since their designs are pretty low noise. You are paying a lot for the look and bragging rights.

Personally, my favorite integrated is still the Marantz PM-10 at any price (in part due to the great remote control). If it was made by any of the other brands listed above, it would be 2-3x as expensive. It’s very much like the original Honda/Acura NSX or Lexus LFA.

With separates, it’s hard to beat the Benchmark AHB2. The main criticism is power and the Wilson’s aren’t that demanding.

If you live in the U.S., consider sending in your amp for testing with Amir, whatever you end up choosing.

BossBunos

Welcome! Doing a quick search and I can't find measurements of the speakers so we have no other option then to believe the manufacturer and use the spec sheet.
It seems like your speaker is a 4ohm load minimum with a sensitivity of 89db. In general that means it's fairly easy to drive and doesn't require massive power but can use a beefy amplifier. Of course power requirements depend on your listening distance and the preferred sound pressure level at your listening position.
Again in general I think your good with an amp in the wattage range your looking at.
More important is load independency, the ability to drive 4 ohm, low distortion and low noise floor. That being said I think most people here will recommend one of the following poweramps:
- any amp with a purifi module. Several options here like NAD, Boxem, Apollon, and many more.
- any amp with a top tier hypex module. Same manufacturers as above.
- benchmark ahb2
- topping LA90
- .... some more

Good luck!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's my list
1.Ypsilon phaethon integrated (110W)
2.Pilium odysseus integrated (200W)
3.Nagra Classic AMP power amplifier(100W)
4.Soulution 511 power amplifier(120W)
5.Boulder 1160 power amplifier(300W)
6.Dan D'Agostino proqression S300 power amplifier(300W)
There will be plenty of more relevant solutions regarding price/performance ratio... but I you really insist for going the High End road, then the Boulder is most likely the best measuring one.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To put things a bit in perspective, buying speakers is like buying furniture. There is innovation in materials and build, but a lot of it is appearance and fit and finish. Wilson Bench are some of the most attractive cabinets. They aren’t the most neutral but they are +/- 2 dB and have nice dispersion.

This is the older designs and presumably the newer stuff is better.

You can get better measuring speakers for a lot less money, but for the looks, if you like the look of the Wilson Benesch — it’s definitely distinct.

Electronics are a different story. Just as the original IBM PC-XT was over $7K with the hard drive, solid state electronics have gotten better and better. If you think about it like cars, you are just asking a car to go 10 mph in a parking lot. You’re not stressing technology. There are differences that are exciting to talk about, but the 0-60 and handling and “feel” are in the speakers not the electronics.

For that reason, you will see very impressive electronics for not a lot of money. A lot of the Chinese made gear reviewed here is built using US (Texas Instruments, ESS) or Japanese (AKM) integrated circuits. I would still recommend voting with your wallet and buying domestic wherever you are from or from a company that has a track record of support and service.

One thing that I have suggested to someone else looking at this type of budget. If you are spending $32k on your speakers and $45k on your Pilium electronics, you will likely get far better sound spending $72k on speakers and $5k on electronics by moving up in the speaker line that you like visually, room treatment, and skimping on electronics.

In a blind environment where looks are unimportant, we can certainly point out state of the art speakers which are an order of magnitude lower in cost.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And if you'll get one of the good Purifi models you won't be missing anything. The speaker by its minimal specs is easy to drive. Might be nice if they told you the max they recommend, but you don't need all that much.

You are on the wrong forum if you want long paragraphs of prose that describe the sound character of each.

If you have a preference on your list, any of those have enough power.

This monoblock Purifi based amp from March audio is nicely built and would be more than enough. March also offers stereo amps if you prefer that.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
H

hushpuppy

If the Discovery 3 is like the 3zero, it’s a bookshelf that seems pretty easy to drive

6 Ohms Nominal / 4 Ohms Minimal
Sensitivity89dB @ 1-Meter on axis, 2.83V Input

On that list, I like Boulder since their designs are pretty low noise. You are paying a lot for the look and bragging rights.

Personally, my favorite integrated is still the Marantz PM-10 at any price (in part due to the great remote control). If it was made by any of the other brands listed above, it would be 2-3x as expensive. It’s very much like the original Honda/Acura NSX or Lexus LFA.

With separates, it’s hard to beat the Benchmark AHB2. The main criticism is power and the Wilson’s aren’t that demanding.

If you live in the U.S., consider sending in your amp for testing with Amir, whatever you end up choosing.
Hi GXAlan
Thanks for your advise, Discovery 3=3Zero, it's hard to drive due to the unique ISOBARIC drive unit. 200w into 8 ohms is the general opinion to drive discovery 3 well.
i am not live in US, and in my city the wilson benesch dealer only have vitus and audio reasearch to collocate with WB speakers.

OP
H

hushpuppy

There will be plenty of more relevant solutions regarding price/performance ratio... but I you really insist for going the High End road, then the Boulder is most likely the best measuring one.
Thanks for your advise, and Boulder is also the most beautiful one;)

OP
H

hushpuppy

@hushpuppy did you make a decision? Do you live in the US where local retailers may provide you with an in home trial?
Hi,thanks for your reply,It's difficult to make a decision right now,wilson benesch dealer just have vitus and audio reasearch amplifiers;)

dfuller

Major Contributor
For that kind of money, buy two Benchmark AHB-2s, run them bridged as monoblocks. More power than you'll ever need.

Also, I'm just here to say that I am baffled at how poor the crossovers must be designed in those speakers. First order crossovers have so many disadvantages I can't even begin to state them.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,thanks for your reply,It's difficult to make a decision right now,wilson benesch dealer just have vitus and audio reasearch amplifiers;)

If you live in the US, I will say that TMR Audio and Music Direct have very good return policies where you are just responsible for shipping. MusicDirect has some deals on open-box gear

https://www.musicdirect.com/equipme...c_fsnf=1&sort=pricedesc&Availability=In+Stock

Remember that amps are like smartphones -- technology does help drive costs down. Furniture isn't like a smartphone. TMR does sell Mola Mola which was mentioned above.

Top Bottom