• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

where should the speakers stand in a room and how can I make an acoustic isolation

duiso

Hello everyone, I am new to music production and I want to arrange a room for music production. In this way, where should the speakers stand in a room and how can I make an acoustic isolation. Thanks for your time !

1.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Floorstanding or small monitors on/above a desk at ear-level with a workstation?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have a choice between these two rooms? The room on the right would probably be easier to work with, overall, IMHO.

OP
D

duiso

I'm sorry I forgot to mention..
Side view of the room on the right and that angle ceiling.
I only have this room for this.

OP
D

duiso

Do you have a choice between these two rooms? The room on the right would probably be easier to work with, overall, IMHO.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention..
Side view of the room on the right and that angle ceiling.
I only have this room for this.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
5 inch on the desk at ear level with workstation

In that case, my less than professional opinion might be it doesn't much matter where you put the desk and speakers.

I might try here, in the corner:

1604707804238.png

It should get rid of the sidewall early reflection.

Beyond that, who knows.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I am new to music production

What sort of "producing" will occur?

People playing instruments in the room, just rearranging tracks, or ?

OP
D

duiso

What sort of "producing" will occur?

People playing instruments in the room, just rearranging tracks, or ?
I am a guitarist. I want to record, compose and mix by myself. I also make polyphonic soundtracks with DAW as an amateur.I want to improve this.
I have used headphones until today, but it is very tiring. I want to make mixes and arrange the room to improve my sensation.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am a guitarist. I want to record, compose and mix by myself. I also make polyphonic soundtracks with DAW as an amateur.I want to improve this.
I have used headphones until today, but it is very tiring. I want to make mixes and arrange the room to improve my sensation.

What type of guitar do you play, and how do you plan to record it? Do you want to capture the acoustic of the room in your recordings, or do you want to record nearfield and try to isolate the direct sound of your guitar from the room's acoustic?

OP
D

duiso

What type of guitar do you play, and how do you plan to record it? Do you want to capture the acoustic of the room in your recordings, or do you want to record nearfield and try to isolate the direct sound of your guitar from the room's acoustic?
I have semi-hollow .My first plan is to record from an isolated amplifier with a microphone.because chepaer and practical for now .if i develop commercially, i can look at other options. Still ,I want to create a good reference listening area. Now I think the priority is to create a mix area.
Do you think it's the right way?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have semi-hollow .My first plan is to record from an isolated amplifier with a microphone.because chepaer and practical for now .if i develop commercially, i can look at other options. Still ,I want to create a good reference listening area. Now I think the priority is to create a mix area.
Do you think it's the right way?

Ok, just wanted to clarify that because obviously the type of setup you want for a mixing studio is very different from the type of setup you want for a recording studio. Based on what you've said here, I would focus on making your room a mixing room, and record your guitar in the nearfield as you suggest.

So, if I were you, I would start by trying @RayDunzl's suggestion with the desk on an angle like that, but probably bring the desk out a little, away from the low ceiling and the corner (see the diagram on the left). You might also want to try something like the setup in the diagram on the right:

1604712981276.png

It's a small, irregular, difficult room, and your goal is to use the system for monitoring, so I'd try to focus on getting the speakers away from boundaries.

You have lots and lots of options for treatment. It depends how serious you want to get about it. In a room that size/shape, I would focus on broadband absorption (thick rockwool absorbers) at first reflection points, and bass traps. Ceiling absorption would probably be a good idea too. For both setups in my diagrams, I would definitely want to use broadband absorption behind the desk. And for the setup on the right, also between the speakers and side walls/balcony.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I think you are at wrong forum, try to find some musician forum for yours questions.

I suspect there are a few people here that fit the broad description of "musician".

OP
D

duiso

I think you are at wrong forum, try to find some musician forum for yours questions.
I am sorry about that. However, my native language is not English.and I could not find much helpful content in my native language.I may have made a mistake. When I searched for my problem and my question, I found people who were currently helpful and thought to write.I will delete after all .. soryy..

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sorry about that. However, my native language is not English.and I could not find much helpful content in my native language.I may have made a mistake. When I searched for my problem and my question, I found people who were currently helpful and thought to write.

You're fine here @duiso :) It's not much of a place for recording engineers or musicians, but there are some among us, and it's definitely a good place to ask about setting up a mixing studio.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I am sorry about that. However, my native language is not English.and I could not find much helpful content in my native language.I may have made a mistake. When I searched for my problem and my question, I found people who were currently helpful and thought to write.I will delete after all .. soryy..

You're in a "right place".

Wait 24 hours for others around the world to respond.

OP
D

duiso

Ok, just wanted to clarify that because obviously the type of setup you want for a mixing studio is very different from the type of setup you want for a recording studio. Based on what you've said here, I would focus on making your room a mixing room, and record your guitar in the nearfield as you suggest.

So, if I were you, I would start by trying @RayDunzl's suggestion with the desk on an angle like that, but probably bring the desk out a little, away from the low ceiling and the corner (see the diagram on the left). You might also want to try something like the setup in the diagram on the right:

View attachment 91923

It's a small, irregular, difficult room, and your goal is to use the system for monitoring, so I'd try to focus on getting the speakers away from boundaries.

You have lots and lots of options for treatment. It depends how serious you want to get about it. In a room that size/shape, I would focus on broadband absorption (thick rockwool absorbers) at first reflection points, and bass traps. Ceiling absorption would probably be a good idea too. For both setups in my diagrams, I would definitely want to use broadband absorption behind the desk. And for the setup on the right, also between the speakers and side walls/balcony.

thanks you all!:)

I have one last question, does the acoustic arrangement work well according to the image on the right that you suggested by making the wall space in the lower left into an artificial wall? This way , will the symmetry of the room work correctly??

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks you all!:)

I have one last question, does the acoustic arrangement work well according to the image on the right that you suggested by making the wall space in the lower left into an artificial wall? This way , will the symmetry of the room work correctly??

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. Could you rephrase the question? :)

OP
D

duiso

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. Could you rephrase the question? :)
sorry, :oops:
if i make an artificial wall.the corner (see the diagram on the left).
Does it provide a symmetrical acoustics in the room?
and does that make some things easier?
like this??
2.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom