• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's your normal listening distance and db level at that distance at home?

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My typical listening distance is 80-100cm at 70-80dBA.

OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

At 2 meters. 6.5 ft distance, 67 dB, peak 84 dB:
View attachment 343308

Same song, I didn't change the volume on the DAC/Amp, 3.5 meters, 11.5 ft, 69 dB , peak 87 dB:
View attachment 343309

It's a little, but not much, louder than my normal listening volume. I just wanted to test at different distances. It's the same dB then. The small differences can
probably can be attributed to that app accuracy, plus if I affected the microphone (that regarding top , the peak value). I can do a lot more measurements and draw an average value, but I think this shows that distance in a normal listening room (if my room is), you don't need to increase the volume to experience the same loudness at a longer distance.:)
Your wattage requirements will be even less with that room where it gets louder the further away you sit.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Your wattage requirements will be even less with that room where it gets louder the further away you sit.
You can take that result with a pinch of salt. It might as well be the other way around. Uncertainty factor, but okay now I got curious. I will do a number of tests tomorrow and see what the averages from them will be.:)

Besides, anyone can do exactly the same thing. I measured this with a free dB app. Maybe topic for a new thread? Measure at different distances, that is.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Using free NIOSH App on my iPhone 14Pro I just measured a Tangerine Dream song from my normal spot on the sofa. ~~ 60 - 65 dB at about 15 feet from the speakers. Pretty normal sort of level. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower. :cool:

JiiPee

In my living room: avg 65-70 dB with peaks around 80-85 dB. Distance approx. 3 m.
In my office room: same sound level. Distance approx. 1.2 m.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm surprised by the number of folks listener as close as 7' or less. I figured most would be closer to 8 to 12 feet or something.

I'm 7' from my speakers in my listening chair.

Average listening level between 68 - 78dB. Sometimes louder.

That's actually a louder average than it used to be. I used to have to listen more quietly, due to occasionally hyperacusis/tinnitus, but I got treated for it and can listen louder now, to my wife's chagrin. My system is very easy on the ears and so I can crank it without pain and sometimes when I step out of the room I'm amazed how loud I was listening. But I keep it within safe levels, having learned the hard way.

Top Bottom