• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the best version of fleetwood macs rumours album?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I got that album on LP, cassette tape, 8-track tape, CD and youtube.
Mike, I even saw them live in Kelowna years ago when they were ascending. Can't remember the exact year, but it was around the later part of the 70s.

♪ Bonus: https://qello.com/concert/Live-in-Boston-Part-1--2574#

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
For further comparison:

Daft Punk, Random Access Memories

upload_2016-7-5_18-50-49.png

I may have to refine my "calibration".

TBone

Major Contributor
I've an orig LP (not yet ripped), an original Canadian CD3010 CD, two early Japanese pressings and an early WGerman Target. The orig LP could very well prove the benchmark, yet the CD3010 offers excellent DR values, although some limiting and/or normalization are evident. The 3 other pressings share exact DR values, about ~1 or 2dB > CD3010 with no apparent limiting. However, to complicate matters further, supposedly too much EQ was used w/certain CD pressings and apparently reverb also added. Then the several Gold Dust Woman versions ...

Mivera

Major Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Rumors Super Deluxe
I'm curious as to how much value you felt you got from that "Super Deluxe" edition? They did add 3 full CD's worth of additional material [at a substantial added cost] but is there much in there you think you will find yourself listening to much in the future?
I recently grabbed the Deluxe version of ELP's Brain Salad but in the end felt they were just grabbing stuff, off the cutting room floor, so to speak. I am a album listener and like to listen to a complete album as the artists intended, so in the end I ended up creating a file with all the addition material removed.
Personally I'm finding much of this "Deluxe" stuff being done today more of a marketing spin than anything. More like DVD/BDs, after maybe once, how many times to you watch all the extras included with the movie. I my case for the limited number of movies I have collected I don't think I've watched anything but the movie itself in more than 1 in 10.
Just a personal rant really on the once again re-marketing of the Classic Rock gems from back in the day. I hate feeling like I'm getting hustled. :mad:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Mivera

Major Contributor
I'm curious as to how much value you felt you got from that "Super Deluxe" edition? They did add 3 full CD's worth of additional material [at a substantial added cost] but is there much in there you think you will find yourself listening to much in the future?
I recently grabbed the Deluxe version of ELP's Brain Salad but in the end felt they were just grabbing stuff, off the cutting room floor, so to speak. I am a album listener and like to listen to a complete album as the artists intended, so in the end I ended up creating a file with all the addition material removed.
Personally I'm finding much of this "Deluxe" stuff being done today more of a marketing spin than anything. More like DVD/BDs, after maybe once, how many times to you watch all the extras included with the movie. I my case for the limited number of movies I have collected I don't think I've watched anything but the movie itself in more than 1 in 10.
Just a personal rant really on the once again re-marketing of the Classic Rock gems from back in the day. I hate feeling like I'm getting hustled. :mad:

I wouldn't buy it again. But I would listen to is as a part of the other 40 million plus songs included with my Tidal membership for only $15.35 per month :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Gee, I only have one copy of it, and it's the only Fleetwood Mac I have. It's enough for me.
I have a 16 track "Greatest Hits" release that didn't sound too bad but with all this talk about Rumors I felt left out. LOL

fas42

Major Contributor
Gee, I only have one copy of it, and it's the only Fleetwood Mac I have. It's enough for me.
Gosh, even I have some bits of when they sounded a wee bit different ...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I wouldn't buy it again. But I would listen to is as a part of the other 40 million plus songs included with my Tidal membership for only $15.35 per month :)
I can dig that. As soon as someone figures out how to rip Tidals digital stream to my hard drive I'll sign up. ;)

Mivera

Major Contributor

Mivera

Major Contributor
I can dig that. As soon as someone figures out how to rip Tidals digital stream to my hard drive I'll sign up. ;)

Why do you need to do that? Don't have a good internet connection?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Why do you need to do that? Don't have a good internet connection?
Just a hard head old school way of thinking.
And joking. ;)

Mivera

Major Contributor
The Van Morrison Moondance Deluxe edition in 24/192 was worth the money for me. I listened to the redbook one on Tidal, and decided I needed the master copy on my hard drive in high res.

The beauty of some of these "Deluxe editions" is they are sourced from untouched master tapes that weren't pimped out to 100 studios over the last 40-50 years getting worn out and dull sounding. The sound is stunning. Some of the alternative takes are better than the originals as well.

http://www.hdtracks.com/moondance-deluxe-edition-144343

Mivera

Major Contributor
Just a hard head old school way of thinking.
And joking. ;)

Well some are still spinning disks. At least you are running a hard drive! :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well some are still spinning disks. At least you are running a hard drive! :)
Hey, some are still cleaning their needles between each play.
I've come a long way baby. LOL

Mivera

Major Contributor
Hey, some are still cleaning their needles between each play.
I've come a long way baby. LOL
Wow that's 1 step away from being Amish! :)

TBone

Major Contributor
I have 4 versions including 1 in DSD 64. Hands down the best is the HDtracks 24/96 version.

Not even close to being the "best", unless one prefers much added compression.

Top Bottom