• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the best version of fleetwood macs rumours album?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
hi,

I have a recent remaster but the vocal is gutless and thin, half the album sounds crap but the other half is ok'ish.

I don't like the eq either , they have done weird things to the top end.

What's the best cd version to get?

Strangely the extra disc with a live performance and another with studio rarities are ok.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have:

Fleetwood Mac Rumours
Warner Bros 3012-2
sku 7559-27313-2 4

Maybe this one: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/3936

Out of: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=fleetwood+mac&album=rumours

So I put it on, since I haven't listened to it in this rotation, and it sounds fine to me.

Looking at the listings, I did ok...

Looking at the frequency response and levels, it's not too hot, it's not severely rolled off in the bass, it has less than "natural" roll off in the treble, so that might offend some ears.

Here's the left and right peak RTA coming off the CD player for the first tune, Second Hand News:

upload_2016-7-2_16-42-46.png

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

ceedee

I think the Sanyo Japan edition is the best, but I've tweaked it with some EQ and brought the levels up with some normalization. That CD does sound a lot like the original LP — and I think both could be improved.

The 2013 CD is fine for the car. Unfortunately, there is no "good" CD mastering of this album. I have a feeling that the two early CD variants (the Sanyo Japan and the West German Target) were made from two different copy tapes. A search of the Steve Hoffman forums will uncover tons of threads. I don't believe anything Steve himself says, but the forum is a good resource on the best masters of a given title.

fas42

Major Contributor
Just to confirm what Ray said, I have the 3010-2 version, from West Germany, and it's always come over extremely well - in fact, this is a top notch show off disk; dynamics, tone, guts - a goody ...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This post made me realize I didn't have one myself :eek:
Grabbed this off ebay just now, looks to be the good one
s-l1600.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It's far better than the 2013 remaster I had but for one area.. Bass.

There is non.

The kick drum obscures the detail of the notes in the 40Hz area, but I wouldn't say there is none.

Left/right RTA, no EQ, from disc, several tracks

upload_2016-7-5_16-25-3.png

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well it's rather lacking in weight imo, but no doubt it's been traded off for another advantage. Voices sound.. Well like voices unlike my 2013 copy that sounds thin and empty in the vocal.

As it turns out your copy is possibly not the same as mine.
Mines 3010-2

Mivera

Major Contributor
I have 4 versions including 1 in DSD 64. Hands down the best is the HDtracks 24/96 version.

In WAV of course to avoid the FLAC conversion.

http://www.hdtracks.com/rumours

I'll also add that Tidal has the 16/44.1 version of the same mastering for those living in 2016.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
For comparison, here is something with "no bass" - although there is some low energy present from bumping and plucking. The Modern Mandolin Quartet, with mandolin, mandola, and mandocello, corresponding to violin, viola, and cello. Recorded to a Studer 1/2" two track.

upload_2016-7-5_17-8-20.png

Mivera

Major Contributor
Rumours 16-44-super deluxe.JPG
Rumours DSD.JPG
Rumours 24-96 Hdtracks.JPG
Tidal Super deluxe.JPG

Top Bottom