• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Whatcha think about "pro" amps from Crown, QSC, etc?

Matthias McCready

If fan noise so obtrusive, where should I place computer? Basement, garage or treehouse?
The fan argument always makes me confused.

Amplifier fans are usually standard sized computer fans and quite cheap... and for probably less than $30 on Newegg one could put in a very quiet fan. This would only take a few minutes.

Granted at the point a fan is probably turning on, a system is probably loud enough that even a noisy fan would be relatively negligible.

D

Deleted member 48726

Amplifier fans are usually standard sized computer fans and quite cheap... and for probably less than $30 on Newegg one could put in a very quiet fan. This would only take a few minutes.

Granted at the point a fan is probably turning on, a system is probably loud enough that even a noisy fan would be relatively negligible.
Yeah, given the superb value for money, you can spend a bit on a low noise fan. My Yamaha p3200 has always on fans, which modulates between 50-100 %. I wired the fans in series and made them unnoticeable.

It's probably not even necessary to have the fans at all with the usage I have.

Newman

Major Contributor
It's probably not even necessary to have the fans at all with the usage I have.
That's been my experience. I just cut the wires. Knowing that any potential peaks I have in my home listening would be microseconds, if at all.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
That's been my experience. I just cut the wires. Knowing that any potential peaks I have in my home listening would be microseconds, if at all.
the XLS core circuits are the same as in the CT8150 or Lexicon DD8 - which both have 8 channels - and are completely passively (convection) cooled...
Yes they are rated at 125W@4ohm but for 8 channels... and they are based on passive cooling.

For any relatively normal home use, I doubt it would be an issue - on the other hand, the DD8 has some substantial heatsinks internally - The heatsinks on the XLS are nothing like the ones on the DD8/CT8150...

D

Deleted member 48726

Only thing of concern would be supply components which is not attached to a heatsink. So I decided to leave a bit of air flow for these.

gnarly

Major Contributor
Very interested in your limiter for my passive sub. How do you implement it, via DSP as a plugin? I currently use a multi band compressor plugin but have to manually activate it when I'm pushing high SPL and it would be nice to have a somewhat automated solution.
Hi, it's implemented in DSP, part of a Q-Sys schematic I put together, running on a Q-Sys Core 110f. So not something that would work any where else.

Passive makes it tricky, to limit the sub and nothing else, huh? Sorry I don't know of an easy solution.

gnarly

Major Contributor
Can't see how fans have much to do with short term peaks. Heat buildup, and thermal cooling exchange both have to be relatively slow compared to transient peaks, no?

On my amps that show temp and fan speed that varies with temp, fan speed ramps up with temp which i've never seen spike quickly upwards.
By quickly, I mean in less than 15 seconds or so....

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Sometimes they have nonstandard electrical connectors so it can take a minimal amount of tinkering.

The fans in pro gear (not just amps) are generally for maintaining temps for long term reliability / endurance, not just short term peaks. Remember these are designed for use in places that may not be as nicely air conditioned as your listening space. So removing or underspeeding fans may reduce the life of the device - whether that means 4 years instead of 5, or 18 years instead of 20, I can't say.

Newman

Major Contributor
Can't see how fans have much to do with short term peaks. Heat buildup, and thermal cooling exchange both have to be relatively slow compared to transient peaks, no?

On my amps that show temp and fan speed that varies with temp, fan speed ramps up with temp which i've never seen spike quickly upwards.
By quickly, I mean in less than 15 seconds or so....
You make my point, thank you.

Scrappy

Sometimes they have nonstandard electrical connectors

these are designed for use in places that may not be as nicely air conditioned as your listening space.
Powercon 32 is the standard for the big ‘uns. So far as I know, Neutrik makes only male panel mount and female inline connectors. I’m actually real curious about uses beyond amps; you’d think a cheap locking 30A “Euro safe” connector would be attractive for other purposes.

O yea, big pro amps need to move air, and should be in road cases with bigger fans. How do +/- 200vDC rails like humidity and moisture?... nah brah

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Powercon 32 is the standard for the big ‘uns. So far as I know, Neutrik makes only male panel mount and female inline connectors. I’m actually real curious about uses beyond amps; you’d think a cheap locking 30A “Euro safe” connector would be attractive for other purposes.

O yea, big pro amps need to move air, and should be in road cases with bigger fans. How do +/- 200vDC rails like humidity and moisture?... nah brah
I meant the internal power connectors for the fans.

There are a variety of other locking connectors, see for instance here and here, the Neutriks have the advantage of being small, cheap, and fairly idiot-resistant.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I meant the internal power connectors for the fans.
pair of diagonal cutters, solder, and electrical tape (or heatshrink) should take that "issue" off the table.
:cool:

In all (well... some) sersiousness: I assume anyone who'd even consider swapping fans (which will, if nothing else, void any remaining warranty) would have no qualms over snipping a couple of wires.

Andysu

Major Contributor
crown cts8200 x3 , only used for the surround channels for each x11 JBL 8330 mkII and each of the x9 overhead surround special plusIIIx JBL 8330A
crowncts82002.jpg

behringer epq300 for JBL five screen wide hf horns
behringer inuke 3000d for JBL TCB front and back of room can do several sw formats
behringer nx3000 and 3000d for sub front JBL 4645 4645c , JBL bass cabs five screen wide and lot more besides that

crown cts8200 was mega cheap i mean i've had fish and chips so cheap before at posh fish and chips restaurant .
obsolate discontinued , heavy they are . dsp eq crossover etc , not bad at the fish and chips price . golfing panther . :)
crowncts82001.jpg

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I stuck a 300 ohm resistor in series with the fan on my QSC RMX850. It was pretty noisy, and moved a lot of air, even at idle. It blows a small amount of air now, more than enough for powering my woofers in the music room.

Sokel

Master Contributor
First thing many audiophiles point to... it has a Fan.
So does this:

ARC.PNG

I stick my ear on it,you can't hear it,but not all audiophile stuff are passive.as long as the fan is good quality it's ok.

D

Deleted member 48726

crown cts8200 x3 , only used for the surround channels for each x11 JBL 8330 mkII and each of the x9 overhead surround special plusIIIx JBL 8330A
View attachment 226081

behringer epq300 for JBL five screen wide hf horns
behringer inuke 3000d for JBL TCB front and back of room can do several sw formats
behringer nx3000 and 3000d for sub front JBL 4645 4645c , JBL bass cabs five screen wide and lot more besides that

crown cts8200 was mega cheap i mean i've had fish and chips so cheap before at posh fish and chips restaurant .
obsolate discontinued , heavy they are . dsp eq crossover etc , not bad at the fish and chips price . golfing panther . :)
View attachment 226082
I wonder what kind of electrical installation you guys have! With a heat pump and a couple of A/Cs I just have to 13A 230VAC in my cabinet for the household left.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
d with signal and clipping indicators. But they sure do look nice in a home amp (even though they don't provide much useful information there, either).
Meters are cool! You have to have them so you can tell your friends "I pegged the meter" when you turned it up. There is nothing like trying to go to 11 on a 10 position knob. Or, as Scotty used to say, "I'm giving her all I've got Captain"! Now, what he meant by that is open to interpretation........;)

D

Deleted member 48726

Meters are cool! You have to have them so you can tell your friends "I pegged the meter" when you turned it up. There is nothing like trying to go to 11 on a 10 position knob. Or, as Scotty used to say, "I'm giving her all I've got Captain"! Now, what he meant by that is open to interpretation........;)
I think the clipping indicator is a very useful tool. Every serious amplifier should have them but then I think many would experience them blink from time to time on their expensive equipment. We can't have that!
With large insensitive towers and a bass heavy track and some volume, you are hitting the limits of, say a 150 W amp, much quicker than you think.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I think the clipping indicator is a very useful tool. Every serious amplifier should have them but then I think many would experience them blink from time to time on their expensive equipment. We can't have that!
With large insensitive towers and a bass heavy track and some volume, you are hitting the limits of, say a 150 W amp, much quicker than you think.
May I never see the clipping light on my Crown XLS2500's !!

Given how loud it gets with just the Signal LED lighting up (-20db) - and very very rare -10db LED barely flickering....

Having the clipping light come on, would imply trying to push 440W peaks through my speakers.... and that would be frightening for the speakers as well as for my ears! (Running with a set of Gallo Reference 3.2's - which are a full range "tower" design) - typical volume levels here are measured at average of 72 to 75db....

D

Deleted member 48726

May I never see the clipping light on my Crown XLS2500's !!

Given how loud it gets with just the Signal LED lighting up (-20db) - and very very rare -10db LED barely flickering....

Having the clipping light come on, would imply trying to push 440W peaks through my speakers.... and that would be frightening for the speakers as well as for my ears! (Running with a set of Gallo Reference 3.2's - which are a full range "tower" design) - typical volume levels here are measured at average of 72 to 75db....
Well I referred also to the "residential" amplifier, which in general I think is much closer to clipping from time to time, than one may think.

Top Bottom