• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What was your best (and worst) audio purchase for the dollar?

london_r

Best: Marantz CD-63SE CD Player… can still remember the genuine excitement and joy this thing gave (was my 1st hifi, up from a boom box).

Worst: Auralic Aries Femto… paid £650 thinking It was a bargain (£1500 new) - ended up getting chucked in the bin when the repair costs for a known design fault exceeded the value of the player (never again).

Nango

Major Contributor
Best PER: LG G7 Thinq, Topping NX-1, Pinnacle P1. No need to spend more for good music enjoyment.

Worst PER: Allo Shanti PSU, no added value at all.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Best: Levinson HQD stacked Quads, Decca super tweeters, Hartley subs

Worst: Marantz Model 19 Receiver. Known as “Saul’s Revenge” after Superscope bought his name and company. Simply stayed in repair shop for two years. I bought Dynaco pre and Mark IVs to drive the KLH 9s. About 1969.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Best: Hivi Swans 5 speaker system for about $800 while living in China.

Worst: Any of the headphones I purchased in the 80s and 90s only to almost never use them because they hurt my ears.

Carey J

Best audio purchase. Tin P1 -$125 from Drop. Swapping the tips for the "bass enhancing" tips from my Fiio FH3 fixed the bass extension. They're still not Beats, but the bass is fine with the Fiio tips. Just over 1/3 the price of my Sundaras, 95% of the quality, and MUCH more comfortable for long listening sessions.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Best, NAD M3. Great features, solid engineering, built to last with good amount of power for my needs. I purchased it used, but virtually as new for I think $1500 Canadian. I will be sad if it ever stops working, but for the last 7 years it has been working like a charm. Using a custom speaker tap cable I even drive headphones right from the speaker terminals so it has also allowed me to no longer require a dedicated headphone amplifier.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought my second Kinergetics KBA-75 power amp on ebay.com for USD ~$500.00 When I received it I found the unit was shutting down. I had provided warranty service for Kinergetics and I was familiar with this model. So I opened it up and realized it was going into thermal protection. Somebody had soldered a resister in series with the AC fan reducing the RPM and cooling capability. The fan CFM is calibrated with the amp design and can't be substituted with anything with less CFM. So I jumped the resister with a alligator test lead and voila a perfectly good power amp that cost ~$3500.00 new. I was a very happy camper.

Last edited:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Best: believe it or not, a no-name ceramic cartridge stylus, 50 pence. Staff at the Manchester Record Library had to inspect your stylus every year for membership and they rejected my Nagaoka MP50 stylus because they didn’t recognise the shape. But they accepted the cheap conical every year for the 15 years I was a member, and I got access to thousands of LPs and cassettes. I got so much out of that library!

Worst - Project 5.9 turntable. That thing needed a new motor every year. I have up vinyl after the third one, never looked back.

zeppzeppzepp

Best,
Focusrite interface, Shure 1540/Sennheiser HD650 headphone, DL-103 cartridge...........

Worst,
isoAcoustics stands and all the speaker gadgets,

babayaga

Best: Onkyo A 7040 & T 4040. First purchase when I got a real job paying $5.19 per hour in 1980!! Still in service after 40+ years. I gave it to someone that needed a way to listen to music a couple years ago. Purely a sentimental choice but I used that combo along with The Advent loudspeakers for 1000's of hours of listening pleasure.
Best: Oppo 203 can play anything
Best: Node 2i perfect little streamer for my office!

Worst: Bose acoustimass 2.1... Does not even warrant an explaination!

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Best amps: AHB2 and Dyna MkIV. The former because it's now almost an 'old' design, but no one has really bested it with newer tech; the latter because there aren't many 60 year old designs you can count on, fix yourself, and still buy all the necessary parts and upgrades you could ever want.

Worst amps: Sony TAN-77ES and Amber Series 70. The former because although the amp part of the package was OK, its meter lamps kept blowing up. You buy an amp like that to watch the meters bounce around, so if you can't see them, what's the point of paying extra? Both the Sony and Amber were in the shop two times each (the Amber didn't have meters, but just kept blowing up). Boutique Amber actually turned around the amp quicker than the Sony service station. The last time each was fixed I sold them while they were 'factory fresh'. Amber soon went out of business, and dealing with Sony was as if they might as well have been out of business. Out of the tens of thousands of Sony employees, I couldn't find one to talk to about the problem.

Best Turntable: Techincs SL-1100a (1975) and SL-1200 Mk5 (2008). Former still runs like new, and the latter is even better.

Worst Turntable: Transcriptors Skeleton. Motor stopped after about a year and the company had gone out of business. No Internet then, so you couldn't get ready parts. Looked pretty cool. So it had that going for it.

Best loudspeaker: JBL L100/4311. Wonderful for what it does.

Worst loudspeaker: JBL L100/4311. Horrible for what it does.

Best little add on: Magni headphone amp from the full of Schiit guys. Dirt cheap, small, works well with what I own.

Worst little add on: dbx crossover. Broken out of the box. Dealing with Harman for a return was a very frustrating experience. As bad as dealing with Sony, years earlier. I learned never to buy direct from any big company, when you can drive to your local guitar store and deal with a human, for the same price.

Worst overall component class: Anything open reel. The 'cheap' stuff never lasted, and the expensive stuff was too expensive to keep going, from a home user's standpoint.

Best component class: Almost anything guitar related. When you can get something like a Boss Kantana 100 MkII for less than four hundred dollars, and a 'name brand' Indonesian guitar for give away dollars, it makes you wonder why anyone would pay top dollar for home audio gear.

zeppzeppzepp

Best amps: AHB2 and Dyna MkIV. The former because it's now almost an 'old' design, but no one has really bested it with newer tech; the latter because there aren't many 60 year old designs you can count on, fix yourself, and still buy all the necessary parts and upgrades you could ever want.

Worst amps: Sony TAN-77ES and Amber Series 70. The former because although the amp part of the package was OK, its meter lamps kept blowing up. You buy an amp like that to watch the meters bounce around, so if you can't see them, what's the point of paying extra? Both the Sony and Amber were in the shop two times each (the Amber didn't have meters, but just kept blowing up). Boutique Amber actually turned around the amp quicker than the Sony service station. The last time each was fixed I sold them while they were 'factory fresh'. Amber soon went out of business, and dealing with Sony was as if they might as well have been out of business. Out of the tens of thousands of Sony employees, I couldn't find one to talk to about the problem.

Best Turntable: Techincs SL-1100a (1975) and SL-1200 Mk5 (2008). Former still runs like new, and the latter is even better.

Worst Turntable: Transcriptors Skeleton. Motor stopped after about a year and the company had gone out of business. No Internet then, so you couldn't get ready parts. Looked pretty cool. So it had that going for it.

Best loudspeaker: JBL L100/4311. Wonderful for what it does.

Worst loudspeaker: JBL L100/4311. Horrible for what it does.

Best little add on: Magni headphone amp from the full of Schiit guys. Dirt cheap, small, works well with what I own.

Worst little add on: dbx crossover. Broken out of the box. Dealing with Harman for a return was a very frustrating experience. As bad as dealing with Sony, years earlier. I learned never to buy direct from any big company, when you can drive to your local guitar store and deal with a human, for the same price.

Worst overall component class: Anything open reel. The 'cheap' stuff never lasted, and the expensive stuff was too expensive to keep going, from a home user's standpoint.

Best component class: Almost anything guitar related. When you can get something like a Boss Kantana 100 MkII for less than four hundred dollars, and a 'name brand' Indonesian guitar for give away dollars, it makes you wonder why anyone would pay top dollar for home audio gear.
Smiling when seeing the comment of JBL L100/4311, I totally agreed just like my impression of my friend's JBL 4312 and my own Acoustic Energy AE1.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Smiling when seeing the comment of JBL L100/4311, I totally agreed just like my impression of my friend's JBL 4312 and my own Acoustic Energy AE1.
It's kind of a funny thing to me. Loudspeakers are still the 'subjective' part of the system. Because of that, I think each person should listen a lot, and then buy whatever 'toots their horn'.

In another 'funny' vein, I've read some commenters on ASR saying, "I want to hear what's accurate. I want to be able to hear what the engineer heard when he was in the booth! I need speakers like that!" I have to smile when I read those comments. If someone really wants that, and if they listen to Euro classical recordings, they better buy B&W. If 'classic' rock is their thing, especially if it was engineered in LA in the '70s, then they'd better run down a refurbed pair of JBL monitors--the one's they love to hate. Only then will these 'accuracy chasers' be able to truly hear what the recording engineer was hearing! :)

Addendum: When Stereophile was in its 'when will it arrive in my mailbox' phase, I remember Gordon Holt commenting on a survey that indicated how most studios back then (I think it was the late '60s or early '70s) were using JBL monitors. His quip: "Well that explains why most records sound so bad!"

dlieb

Best: (tie): Sennheiser HD650 and Audiophonics Ncore amp

Worst: Centrance Skyn (it was a kickstarter-funded iphone dac. The company changed the terms several times, delayed production, and then it promptly broke.)

Top Bottom