• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which would you use and why?

429CV23

All,
I won an estate auction for a Carver C-4000 and Harman Kardon TU-610 tuner which will be picked up this weekend. I'm debating if these should just replace the Carver CT-Seven I have set up in a spare bedroom, or replace the Pioneer SX-950 in my main system.
CT-Seven system is a micro system using the M400t I purchased new in the 80s, a Sony PS-X600 BioTracer TT with Nagaoka MP-110 cart, and Carver TDR-1550 and TD-1700 cassette decks through Marantz HD440 speakers.

My main analog system is running a Sony PS-X600 BioTracer TT with Micro Acoustics MA3002 cart, Nakamichi ZX-7, 682ZX, CR-7A, and Dragon cassette decks, BIC T-4M cassette deck, and Sony MDLP through Marantz M-10 (Euro/mirrored version) speakers. Digital/PC feed is through an SMSL M300SE DAC.

I do not plan on placing speakers for a proper sonic holography setup. When I had the CT-Seven on my main system, the SH did expand the stage nicely in most cases. If the C-4000 replaces the Pioneer, I could use either the M400t, or a PM-1.75 I used years ago in my bass rig for amplification.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with similar setups and an opinion on comparative sound quality. I realize much has to do with relative condition of components; I recapped the SX-950 (all but the tuner board) 9-10yrs ago, the C-4000 would likely get recapped only if it replaces the 950.

Also want to thank those who reviewed the M300SE, my purchase was based partly on reviews I read here.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
429CV23,

Welcome to ASR - Glad you found us.

I'm a owner of a lot of vintage Carver gear, but do not have listening experience with your other units, so I cannot offer a useful opinion.

OP

429CV23

I went ahead and recapped the C-4000 (around 95 elcos, mostly BP in the signal path). It originally sounded pretty bad. I ran a BIC T-4M through it, listening with headphones. Sound was very shrill with a narrower stage compared to directly out of the deck. After recapping it's a totally different beast. No real difference in sound swapping the headphones now. I swapped it and a Carver cube with the Pioneer SX-950; the C-4000 sounds just as good, but has a wider stage; so overall sound quality is better than the 950.
The TU-610 is basically rubbish; much diminished output from the left channel. According to the SM it has <30 electrolytic caps, so I'll probably replace those and see if it evens out the channels.

Top Bottom