• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

What VPN service do you use? Good or bad.

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
also Express VPN - seems a bit slower than none at all
Express VPN is now offering a proprietary protocol they call Lightway. I just switched to it yesterday instead of Open VPN Protocol. It appears to be equal to native speed with no VPN in use. Previously I took about a 30% hit on speed versus no VPN. My connection speeds here are 250 mbps. So whatever speed the new protocol is capable of is more than 250 meg.

I'd expect more services to be switching to the Wire Guard protocol which also promises speeds near native.

https://www.expressvpn.com/lightway

muslhead

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Surfshark
Cheap, decent speed and lots of servers.
The speed has definitely improved since i originally paid for it. Increased more than 2x using the same, nearby server.
Since they give a trial, its worth a look. i had my doubts due to the price but i am suprisingly pleased

matt3421

mullvad. and once my extra 2 months expires i will be switching to Mozilla VPN, which is the same thing, but mozilla gets a cut of the revenue.

Last edited:

Phorize

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Proton vpn. Costs a bit more than some, decent Linux client support with a Debian repo, iOS client is ok, hopefully will get split tunnelling at some point, plenty of servers and locations, I like the use the secure core option, more audited than many. I liked the look of Mozilla but no Linux client yet so won’t change for now.

BrainBugs

I use proton vpn (and proton mail). No complaints really but sometimes when I'm downloading I have to reconnect to the fastest connection to get better Mb/s.

nobodynoz

Last edited:

keebz28

Forum Donor
I honestly can't think of ever subscribing to commercial VPN providers because not all of them have the best of privacy practices (there's tons of information on the nets for this). Mullvad in my opinion is one of the reputable providers with good speed and security and I have used it extensively prior to setting up my own VPN.

I would recommend hosting your own VPN on a VPS at DigitalOcean, Vultr and etc for around $5 to $10 a month with latest protocol such as Wireguard. Heck I'll link a script that makes it all easy to install and setup in 15 minutes. Benefit of having your own VPN on a VPS is you control the traffic endpoint and security of the server running it.

Wireguard Script

Mullvad is IMO hands down the best VPN available for privacy, very reliable too. ProtonVPN on the other hand...

Otaku+

I have a subscription to PIA but don't often make use of it. I find Smart DNS Proxy to be more convenient for my purposes.

Wes

Major Contributor
Google often interrupts my sessions on Opera with demands that I justify my existence as a human

Top Bottom