• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What VPN service do you use? Good or bad.

BrainBugs

I use proton vpn (and proton mail). No complaints really but sometimes when I'm downloading I have to reconnect to the fastest connection to get better Mb/s.

nobodynoz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I honestly can't think of ever subscribing to commercial VPN providers because not all of them have the best of privacy practices (there's tons of information on the nets for this). Mullvad in my opinion is one of the reputable providers with good speed and security and I have used it extensively prior to setting up my own VPN.

I would recommend hosting your own VPN on a VPS at DigitalOcean, Vultr and etc for around $5 to $10 a month with latest protocol such as Wireguard. Heck I'll link a script that makes it all easy to install and setup in 15 minutes. Benefit of having your own VPN on a VPS is you control the traffic endpoint and security of the server running it.

Wireguard Script

Takanaka

Forum Donor
Mullvad is IMO hands down the best VPN available for privacy, very reliable too. ProtonVPN on the other hand...

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a subscription to PIA but don't often make use of it. I find Smart DNS Proxy to be more convenient for my purposes.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Google often interrupts my sessions on Opera with demands that I justify my existence as a human

kiwifi

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using Surfshark which cost me $59.76 for 2 years. I have the VPN terminated on my pfsense router with policies in place to route specified hosts down the tunnel. I'm getting 55-59MB/sec download speed through the tunnel which is basically maxing out my 500mbps internet connection. VPN throughput was limited to around 15MB/sec by the ARM CPU in my old router (Asus RT-AC68U), this wasn't much of an issue before I upgraded to the 500mbps connection earlier this year.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried a few different VPN services before settling on Proton VPN, including Mullvad, Cyberghost, Vyper, Avira, Hidemyass, Long Tail, and a few others. In terms of speed and security, Proton presented the strongest argument for me. I'm not trying to advertise here, but in my opinion, they offer the greatest overall package.

Welcome to ASR!

Top Bottom