• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to export speaker data from images and EQ them for a better experience?

jtk9412

I would like to EQ my Edifier MR4. There is already a few EQs on the forum and Spinorama.com however the users say that there is a version 2 of this speaker which I also have. And it looks like the existing EQs were made for version 1. I asked Edifier support if version 2 is a real thing or not, they said no but the meaurements doesn't lie and it looks like there was an upgrade.

I would like to export the data from the images that are in this post: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-its-probably-been-upgraded.42941/

And then EQ this raw data to make it sound more natural/flat or whatever term it is, I am newbie. How could I make it happen? I can't make a room adjustment, just a simple EQ for a better overall experience.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is really little point - the room interaction will make a much bigger varaition from flat. Better to measure the in-room response, and eq that.

OP
J

jtk9412

There is really little point - the room interaction will make a much bigger varaition from flat. Better to measure the in-room response, and eq that.
Can't afford to buy or rent the equipment.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Which image should I use for WebPlotDigitizer? There are a ton of them on the post.
For speakers, this approach is barely useful.

Even moreso since the MR4 has:
-poor QC
-different modes
-infinitely adjustable tone controls on top

There's no way to ensure that whatever other people have measured, is actually applicable to your own MR4.

I recommend you buy a UMIK-1 to make your own measurements.

If it's too expensive, consider the Micbooster EM258 instead.

If you have an iPhone, use HouseCurve.

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree that EQ based on graphs is only sort of useful. You'd want to EQ the power / in-room response, and probably only above 500hz, if anything. Overall I would not expect big noticeable improvements from that.

If you flat out can't afford any measurement gear then maybe just try to fix the bass by ear. This will depend vastly more on your room than the speakers, so graphs from the internet are useless. Also a pretty iffy proposition, but certainly possible to get good improvements if you are careful.

OP
J

jtk9412

I got the data exported using WebPlotDigitizer however I can't set the scale properly. The program only allows me to select 2 X and 2 Y spots. Since the length of the frequencies are not equal on the graph, it exports wrong scaled data. Do you know how could I make it right?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I got the data exported using WebPlotDigitizer however I can't set the scale properly. The program only allows me to select 2 X and 2 Y spots. Since the length of the frequencies are not equal on the graph, it exports wrong scaled data. Do you know how could I make it right?
Set the scale to logarithmic. Then just define two points like you did before and all other spots will match up.

OP
J

jtk9412

For speakers, this approach is barely useful.

Even moreso since the MR4 has:
-poor QC
-different modes
-infinitely adjustable tone controls on top

There's no way to ensure that whatever other people have measured, is actually applicable to your own MR4.

I recommend you buy a UMIK-1 to make your own measurements.

If it's too expensive, consider the Micbooster EM258 instead.

If you have an iPhone, use HouseCurve.
I just used HouseCurve and now I have my own room EQ for both Harman and B&K targets. Thank you for the advice though, the app is perfect. Same for its developer, pretty friendly gentleman.

Now what is the next step for me? Should I merge this room EQ with another Edifier MR4 EQ? Should I make a room EQ with flat target and then merge it with Edifier's official frequency response? Could you please lead me?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Now what is the next step for me? Should I merge this room EQ with another Edifier MR4 EQ? Should I make a room EQ with flat target and then merge it with Edifier's official frequency response? Could you please lead me?
Forget about other measurements of the MR4.

Your HouseCurve measurements already include the response of your own MR4 units. Use that for room correction.

OP
J

jtk9412

Forget about other measurements of the MR4.

Your HouseCurve measurements already include the response of your own MR4 units. Use that for room correction.
I remember not going higher than 7000Hz when I am EQ'ing my headphones since the Auto EQ stuff is not pretty good above 7000Hz. What is the best frequency range for room EQ? I selected 30 to 15000 with 10dB max gain, PEQ filter type. If there is a better settings, I would like to apply them.

staticV3

Master Contributor
What is the best frequency range for room EQ?
Take a look at these threads:

Though remember that in the end, good sound to your ears is what matters most. If that ends up being with full range correction, then that's perfectly fine.

Top Bottom