• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What stuff do I need to add to my order? (complete beginner)

mubix77

Hi all,

I am getting ready to order the things from Thomann Switzerland, but I wanted to check what things I need except the following:
  • 2x Genelec 8330
  • 2x Genelec 8000-323W stands
  • Motu M2
  • Genelec 7350
  • Genelec GLM set
What else do I need? I guess some cables as I saw that Genelec doesn't put in XLR cables.
Do I need anything else to connect the speakers/sub to the Motu and the Motu to my laptop?
I don't have anything of audio stuff so I need to order everything at once.

Thanks, and best regards,
Mubix

1677485652377.png

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Motu comes with a USB cable, so all you need are cables from the Motu to the sub and from the sub to the mains.

Since both sub and mains are digital, I would normally use Spdif to connect them all (avoids unnecessary A->D/D->A conversions).

Unfortunately, the M2 doesn't have Spdif out, so at least from the Motu to the first speaker would have to be analog. From that you may be able to use digital to the other three.

OP
M

mubix77

I didn't buy it yet, so I can still change the M2 to something with SPDIF :)

BelgianJoey

To use the GLM set you need also some network cables to daisy chain from the GLM to the sub and the speakers and back. Edit: these are supplied with each speaker so that should be ok.

Trell

Major Contributor
The Motu comes with a USB cable, so all you need are cables from the Motu to the sub and from the sub to the mains.

Since both sub and mains are digital, I would normally use Spdif to connect them all (avoids unnecessary A->D/D->A conversions).

Unfortunately, the M2 doesn't have Spdif out, so at least from the Motu to the first speaker would have to be analog. From that you may be able to use digital to the other three.

The MOTU M2 works great with the 8330A and 7350 using analog on my wife's desktop system.

OP
M

mubix77

The MOTU M2 works great with the 8330A and 7350 using analog on my wife's desktop system.
Hi Trell, how are you connecting them all? Could you describe a bit (e.g. laptop --> via usb --> m2 ---> XLR? ---> sub --> XLR? --> speakers?)?

Trell

Major Contributor
Hi Trell, how are you connecting them all? Could you describe a bit (e.g. laptop --> via usb --> m2 ---> XLR? ---> sub --> XLR? --> speakers?)?

From MOTU M2 I use USB connection.

For cable from subwoofer to the monitors I use a pair of these XLR male-XLR female.

From MOTU M2 to the subwoofer I use a pair of these TRS-XLR male:

Edit: For my other Genelec 2.1 setup I use these nice cables that are a little more expensive, from subwoofer to monitor. They are quite flexible and lays nicely:

A big benefit of having a subwoofer is to place it where the response is the best before using GLM for calibration, so having long enough cables for this is needed. You can use GLM to do a quick calibration for each placement of the subwoofer to see the response at each placement.

The Genelecs are quite sensitive so only a small portion of the M2 volume pot is usable unless you turn down the volume in the speaker via GLM (same as changing input sensitivity). I set it to -15 which at full volume is very loud but does not blow my ears off. You must set it from GLM via "Store to loudspeaker" (or similar name) in GLM.

Last edited:
OP
M

mubix77

Thanks a lot both of you.

The 8330 has three XLR inputs: Digital IN, Digital OUT, Analog IN. So analog IN would use the internal DAC of the M2 for the conversion?

How can I use the digital XLR? Can I use the digital XLR with the M2?

staticV3

Master Contributor
The 8330 has three XLR inputs: Digital IN, Digital OUT, Analog IN. So analog IN would use the internal DAC of the M2 for the conversion?
It would go M2 DAC -> 8330 ADC -> 8330 DSP -> 8330 DAC -> Amp -> Drivers.

For the digital XLR you need an interface or DDC with Coax or AES output. The M2 doesn't have either.

OP
M

mubix77

It would go M2 DAC -> 8330 ADC -> 8330 DSP -> 8330 DAC -> Amp -> Drivers.

For the digital XLR you need an interface or DDC with Coax or AES output. The M2 doesn't have either.
So going with something like the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 should work?

Trell

Major Contributor

As @staticV3 wrote above you can't use digital to the monitors/subwoofer with the M2, and I doubt that you'll hear any difference using digital. The M2 is an excellent interface for using as a DAC that is measuring very well, and there are no pops in the monitors when powering on/off the M2.

The most important part is that you chose Genelec monitors that you can use GLM for room EQ.

With digital input you can get the problem of the monitors not going into standby:

>>>It’s quite common that the digital audio source keeps the digital bit clock active when the source is powered ON. That prevents the monitor or subwoofer to turn ISS sleep state.<<<

staticV3

Master Contributor
So going with something like the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 should work?
Yes. You should then be able to daisy chain the three speakers in whatever order you'd like, all in series.
So interface->7350->8330 L->8330 R
Or interface->8330 L->7350->8330 R
it shouldn't matter.
The first cable would have to be RCA to XLR, the last two regular XLR to XLR.

OP
M

mubix77

Ok. Perfect, that makes it all clear.
I think for now I will then stick with the analog connection using the M2.
Next year I will then go to an AES connection with an RME maybe, but only after learning more and treating the room where I'm in...

OP
M

mubix77

Are there no reps from Thomann on this forum who want to give me a little discount on my shopping basket?

Top Bottom