• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What streaming service do you use?

What streaming service do you use?

• Total voters

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tidal for listening to music, but I also have Deezer for the family that came free with my cell phone plan.

Barrelhouse Solly

None. I haven't seen anything that's worth the subscription fees to me and the free offerings are terrible. Oh, I sometimes use Tune In in the car to listen to internet radio. The one feature I like is that you can use it to play stream urls that the service doesn't offer.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Spotify subscription which I occasionally use for music discovery, but I attempt to buy anything I really like afterwards.

Barrelhouse Solly

My favorite internet radio site is Document Wireless Radio, put up by Document Records. Otto's Baroque and Ancient FM are pretty good too.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazon via wiim on main rig. Tidal via uapp on android for everything else. If amazon worked on uapp or tidal offered a full library shuffle I would only have one

Duo account with wife for Spotify to share playlists etc.

Mean & Green

I stream my own library stored on my computer and iOS devices.

I‘ll check out new stuff via YouTube. If I like it I buy it physically.

Madlop26

Apple music, which I have in a bundle which make it inexpensive, and lossless (if really has any importance); but the main reason is actually i can listen to ATMOs music through my Apple TV- x3700- revel speakers combo. Now some song ... or better said ..... most song will sound still better in stereo, but there some good mastered ATMOS songs that make soundstage a whole new experience.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know what it really means but I may be accused of exhibiting passive/aggressive tendencies when it comes to enjoying my music.
*I don't want to futz over my music but I also demand it to be always playing.
*It turns out that decades of aggressive foraging for music pays wealth of benefits in the long term.
*Passive/*Aggressive?

Each of the above 8 music streaming platforms seems to demand too much involvement w/i their own bubbles, whereas all I want is a volume knob... and a 24 hour playlist.:D

Audioagnostic

I quit streaming and only play CDs.
Your poll is missing this option.

The physical aspect of playing a cd and listening to whole albums is a more involved music experience to me.

It may be a phase though, fuelled by purchasing industrial amounts of second hand CDs.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I quit streaming and only play CDs.
Your poll is missing this option.

The physical aspect of playing a cd and listening to whole albums is a more involved music experience to me.

It may be a phase though, fuelled by purchasing industrial amounts of second hand CDs.
Without prejudice, how do you find new music. I bought three CD's this week 1) After hearing a song on internet radio and streaming the album. 2) After searching for artist of which I am a fan and found a recording unknown to me and streamed it. 3) one of my favorites artist's passed and I added to my collection. I have a list of rare CDs and one of those come up I may buy it too. Seems like streaming expands my musical knowledge and enjoyment for the cost of one CD a month.

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
None. I haven't seen anything that's worth the subscription fees to me and the free offerings are terrible. Oh, I sometimes use Tune In in the car to listen to internet radio. The one feature I like is that you can use it to play stream urls that the service doesn't offer.
Me too. None. Don't see a favour to my ripped CD colection.

Audioagnostic

Without prejudice, how do you find new music. I bought three CD's this week 1) After hearing a song on internet radio and streaming the album. 2) After searching for artist of which I am a fan and found a recording unknown to me and streamed it. 3) one of my favorites artist's passed and I added to my collection. I have a list of rare CDs and one of those come up I may buy it too. Seems like streaming expands my musical knowledge and enjoyment for the cost of one CD a month.
I buy CDs for around a euro. This week I bought 30? Discovered the Roots, acoustic Hiphop. Primal scream, EDM rock fusion. Dj Krush, Japanese glitch EDM. Some Turkish Armenian world music, and much more.

It helps to live in a city, Amsterdam, where people with good taste dump their CDs though. If I dont like a cd I simply donate back.

I pay more than streaming but I also convince myself this is the way because it is more environmentally friendly to buy second hand CDs...

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use inspirations from magazines and radio for new music ... but mostly stick to what I have (...not listened to till now but purchased)

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It helps to live in a city, Amsterdam, where people with good taste dump their CDs though. If I dont like a cd I simply donate back.

I pay more than streaming but I also convince myself this is the way because it is more environmentally friendly to buy second hand CDs...
Thanks for the reply. I live in a rural area just outside San Francisco Bay Area where many CDs end up in thrift shops. I too like world (outside N. America) music, Jazz, Blues, Surf and acoustic music of all types. I guess I am more targeted and would not buy 30 at at a time. I often find something from this list, a very small percentage, but the list is huge and varied, and I like the radio station. https://kfjc.org/music/ Streaming lets me try before I buy.

David_R

I am using tidal connect through my Wiim Mini and thats as simple as it gets for now. I need to set up my server as I have alot of flac albums that I need to rediscover.

Although I love CD's, Vinyl and tape as alternative sources. I find it easy to discover new artists on Tidal and then I will search for physical formats to collect.

JG2020

Prestomusic UK for Classical and Jazz. Streaming in hi-rez up to 192k. I'm in the Antipodes and haven't had any glitches in several months of use. All my past album purchases from Presto are available as a separate curated collection. Don't see myself ever buying another CD apart from SACDs for multi-channel.

Tom Schneider

When streaming for my dedicated system I use Tidal primarily due to the interface and Tidal Connect. My wife uses Pandora and Amazon simply because she can use Alexa through her Sonos Era 300. She is more into having back-ground music.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Without prejudice, how do you find new music.
I have current prejudices: Alt/Indie/Blues/Afro/Island.
17 full digital 'album' purchases in the past 12 months, oldest being of 2017 release.
My music library contains north of sixty-thousand songs, stretching from the 1940s to 2020s.
Sales of CD (RedBook) format turned 40, in March 2023. Yey!
According to RIAA, U.S. music lovers have purchased 14.9Billion CDs since then. And that is only in the UnitedStates.
So, please don't convince yourself any further!;)

mmi

Personal library stored in Apple Music app, Soundcloud, Mixcloud, NTS Radio, Apple Music, Sonos Radio

Top Bottom