• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What makes big speakers sound "big"and smaller ones sound "small"?

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"Big sound", as defined by dynamic sound, should never sound loud, imo.

Sure thing. Dynamics of the direct sound + spectrally correct late reflections can make you disregard your own room and hear the acoustics of the venue.

For example, this easy going performance is to me very dynamic, but the reverb of the venue and background audience effects makes it sound very wide and big:

Funny thing, but this can make me believe that my room has no ceiling :confused::

IME, such acoustic effects are usually much lower in level than the actual performance and can be easily drowned by the ambient noise. To me this makes sense because you also lose some of the dynamic contrast along with it so it makes you want to compensate with more loudness. If you can't get higher SPL without compression the sound gets just perceived as loud but not big. So it's a perception thing and small speakers may lack the required uncompressed dynamic range.

As in pro audio world dynamics are highly regarded, M-Noise comes to mind for testing this. I don't know how applicable it would be for domestic loudspeakers or what would actually be required in terms of dynamics for home listening environment.

benanders

I have two unique systems, horn with 15 inch mid woofer vs a standard 3 way bookshelf. The horn system has stereo subs(front left/right corners) time aligned with Audiolense(tri-amp) and the 3 way bookshelf has three subs(front left/right and back left) summed into mono not time aligned though with a correction filter with Audiolense that has time alignment against the mains in the AVR with speaker distance( REW support). I probably will tell them apart in a blind test due to the phenomenan of how the bass evnevelopes and the bass lag(good lag just longer than the stereo, I believe audible) associated with the mono summed bass, possibly 3 subs frequencies arriving at different times to the ear. Of course the stereo subs have more powerful motor structure also allowing you to feel the immediate thump.

Point is that if I take away the subs from both systems, I probably wouldn't tell which system is which, even with such unique radiation patterns of both systems. There have been times when I have been confused which system is playing(even though it takes a few min to turn on the horn system due to the tri-amp nature) before I had my subs so perfectly designed and set up. So I am going to agree with Mitch here, as much as I want to believe that the bigger system sounds larger than life the difference is very small and very hard to discern.

I think this points to exactly how muchof a role subwoofers play in a system and how they can be manipulated to provide a certain sound character to the overall sound.

This made me very curious. I use two systems - 2.2 (lifestyle “bookshelf” L/R) for tv, and 2.2 for music (tall line array L/R).
The subs are the same, 10” sealed 300w continuous / 600w peak; they’re literally moved between the two systems as needed.
Both systems are usually crossed to the subs at 100 Hz.

The tv speakers, despite playing surprisingly well/loud, do sound like what one would expect without the subs. Rather small.

I played a few new-to-me tracks on the music system without the subs on so my brain would be less likely to focus on a “what’s missing” factor (familiar bass notes).
The sound was still very big, especially with vocals since the lines do reach below 100 Hz and handle male voices just fine, only failing to fill out deep resonance in the lowest octave. Depending on listening position in the room, vocals and some instruments also show considerable “height”. I assume this is due to the unorthodox employment of the tweeters (which have very wide horizontal dispersion) in this setup. The uppermost tweeter is ~8.5’ high.

There was, however, still a noteworthy effect on “soundstage width” based on bass (on/off), with subs definitely contributing to a wider (the word enveloping was used in this thread…) soundstage. Without subs, the approximate driver surface area for frequencies up to 6 kHz is 150in^2 per Ch; for frequencies 6 kHz and up, it is ~50in^2 (ribbon tweeters of sorts) per Ch. Perhaps dynamic capability without compression mentioned by @gnarly and others is sufficient to offset some of the compromises in music playback’s higher frequencies discussed by @MattHooper ? Surface area maybe being quite important to higher frequencies but more limited (than bass freqs) by conventions of speaker / driver design / implementation?
With regard to sound height, I suspect it’s more due to reflections, or phase issues that people are not supposed to be able to notice.
All just in musing, of course.

@Trdat did you disconnect your two systems’ subs (+ use new-to-you tracks) to see if your assumption re: bass determining most of the difference in “size” applied to either setup?

Trdat

Forum Donor
@Trdat did you disconnect your two systems’ subs (+ use new-to-you tracks) to see if your assumption re: bass determining most of the difference in “size” applied to either setup?
Yes, that was the point in hand, that when there was no subs connected it was very hard to tell them apart considering they were very different type of speakers, but adding in the subs was enough to help me discern between the two. However, I wonder if I switch the subs set up to the other speakers how things would be perceived then.

I think this to some extent supports Mitch's experiment, it also tells us that subwoofer set up can play a large role in perceived depth and envelopment and that not enough research or at least experiments have been done to understand the enjoyment(subjective though should be able to be backed up by measurements) differences between two uniquely different sub set ups.

geox

What's the chance of him being inspired by this thread ?;)
he mentioned that some patreon asked him.

anyhoo, i agree with him more often than not, but in this case, I'll have to gently disagree - rather felt it bit incomplete as he focused on crossover between midrange and tweeter but not the woofers

between well designed speakers , say between bookshelves -Kef R3 and tower - Kef R5. Kef R5 might sound bigger simply because of additional woofers. creating a "wall of sound".

alternatively, subwoofers + Kef R3 might sound bigger than Kef R5 without the subs as the lower ranges get filled in with the sub.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Erin always has something worthwhile to say. I was glued to that video. In essence, he argues that the larger soundstage of a large speaker is due to interference between the multiple drivers, creating phase issues which give the impression of wider soundstage, but sacrificing precision in the process.

cavedriver

Erin always has something worthwhile to say. I was glued to that video. In essence, he argues that the larger soundstage of a large speaker is due to interference between the multiple drivers, creating phase issues which give the impression of wider soundstage, but sacrificing precision in the process.
I kind of had been assuming that "big" speakers had wide vertical dispersion generating significant early floor and ceiling reflections, but I could support phase issues if there was effective testing done to prove it (elsewhere seem to remember comments that most people can't detect phase differences but that's highly out of context)

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I only listened to the first half but it seems like my compression theory didn’t get any love.

But I’m telling you, my desktop setup (genetic plus sub, ruler flat on REW) sounds tiny at distance. I’m thinking how I should measure the difference in a controlled way.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
I rather think that his video is inspired by Amir's Polk ES60 review:
2. Large image. This is another major advantage tower speakers have over bookshelves but once again, the impression was even more positive than I expected. Images are almost life-sized which I really appreciate (compared to miniatures with bookshelves).

RobL

I tried an experiment today, comparing these 2 very different speakers:
IMG_0855.jpeg
I dunno but I’m not getting any sort of “size” information from either pair of speakers, outside of bass extension and SPL capability.
On a song without much low content such as:
They sound damn near identical from the chair in the pic. I can switch back and forth between them and both project the same image size.
On a very enveloping song like:
Both pairs project the huge image and the “behind your back” effects with no problems. The Genelec play the low content that the iLouds miss of course, but that’s really all the difference.
What am I missing or doing wrong?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Bigger speakers also sound bigger to me than smaller ones even at the same volume.

What is the cause of this phenomenon?

I'll vote "bass".

Does an old landline phone sound "big"?

No.

"Telephones have been using a limited frequency range of 300 hertz to 3.4 Kilohertz for over 100 years. While the frequency spectrum of the human voice ranges from about 50 Hertz to 8 Kilohertz, speech remains quite intelligible when transmitted at the very limited bandwidth."

Can Headphones sound "big"?

Bigger than an old phone. As big as the recording permits.

I don't think it's the high frequencies because I can't hear them.

I don't think it is "reflections" because my panels barely excite the room.

D

Deleted member 48726

I tried an experiment today, comparing these 2 very different speakers:

I dunno but I’m not getting any sort of “size” information from either pair of speakers, outside of bass extension and SPL capability.
On a song without much low content such as:
They sound damn near identical from the chair in the pic. I can switch back and forth between them and both project the same image size.
On a very enveloping song like:
Both pairs project the huge image and the “behind your back” effects with no problems. The Genelec play the low content that the iLouds miss of course, but that’s really all the difference.
What am I missing or doing wrong?
Play Murder One by Metallica. I also don't know if any of those otherwise nice speakers qualify as large tbh. :)

RobL

Play Murder One by Metallica. I also don't know if any of those otherwise nice speakers qualify as large tbh. :)
Tried it on both speakers and at first I was like “aha!”, the 8361A’s definitely had more “slam” with the kick drum! I wondered if it was, again, just a bass extension issue so I dialed in a low shelf on the 8361A’s and rolled the of below 70hz so their FR was approximating the iLoud Micro’s. The extra “slam” disappeared and the two pairs sounded remarkably similar again.

I agree that these pairs might not meet the definition of “large” for some in this thread (though many are surprised at the size of 8361’s when they seem them in person lol). If there was some “extra” info conveyed by a pair of speakers though, shouldn’t this comparison at least give a hint of it? :)

D

Deleted member 48726

Tried it on both speakers and at first I was like “aha!”, the 8361A’s definitely had more “slam” with the kick drum! I wondered if it was, again, just a bass extension issue so I dialed in a low shelf on the 8361A’s and rolled the of below 70hz so their FR was approximating the iLoud Micro’s. The extra “slam” disappeared and the two pairs sounded remarkably similar again.

I agree that these pairs might not meet the definition of “large” for some in this thread (though many are surprised at the size of 8361’s when they seem them in person lol). If there was some “extra” info conveyed by a pair of speakers though, shouldn’t this comparison at least give a hint of it? :)
Both yes and no. I think it's a bit of a cheat to high pass the speakers when comparing size vs. sound differences. Surely I can make my Infinity Kappas sound tiny if I high pass them as well.
If you were to compare them directly I would go about it by EQ'ing them to the exact same response curve at the listening pos. As this is most certainly also a flawed test because of different speaker designs and different directivity it would perhaps reveal something new?

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From my subjective experience I would agree. I describe the sound of speakers like the JBL DD67000s and my DIY horn based systems as having a more diffuse image, but these system are not only large, they sound huge and have relatively unlimited dynamic range with minimal compression.
I only listened to the first half but it seems like my compression theory didn’t get any love.

But I’m telling you, my desktop setup (genetic plus sub, ruler flat on REW) sounds tiny at distance. I’m thinking how I should measure the difference in a controlled way.
My personal experience with mini monitors and subs aligns with this.

I directly test OPs question in my “work in-progress” 2 channel listening room. I can tell you that the bookshelf speakers pictured do not sound any smaller than the towers. If anything, the smaller speakers sound wider and not as pinpoint focused. I don’t know why this is though. I initially bought the towers expecting larger “scale” and “soundstage” but that is not what happened. I can say this with confidence though, the super tweeter has a large impact on my perceived soundstage width, height and depth. The super tweeters make an immediate and significant difference. However, there is a limit, if I keep turning them up, the effect increases, but integration worsens and fatigue quickly occurs.

Attachments

• IMG_7792.jpeg
    IMG_7792.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 42
Top Bottom