• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What makes big speakers sound "big"and smaller ones sound "small"?

SwampYankee

My assumption has been for sometime that larger drivers, on average, can generate higher SPL while remaining in the more linear portion of their mechanical and electrical compliance envelope. "Big sound" often references dynamics or high output conditions. Small drivers are more likely to compress (generate lower SPL relative to input voltage) and distort because they need more excursion at a given SPL and reach the limits of their suspensions or the ends of the voice coil gap sooner than larger drivers. I know this is a gross simplification. Some drivers compensate with exotic surrounds/spiders or complex motor structures to retain linear motion at high excursion, but it's hard to fight physics.

Kvalsvoll

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
How do you adjust the directivity of the one speaker? Removing a waveguide? Wouldn't that mess up other stuff (technical term)?

It was possible to change the pattern at lower frequencies below 1K on this speaker, without affecting other properties too much. So that it basically is like any other quite small floor-standing speaker.

This was done as part of the development of this speaker, only for lab/testing purposes.

JiiPee

I'm not aware of any scientifically valid test that would prove that a physically bigger speaker "sounds bigger" than a physically smaller speaker. As far as I can see, all evidence presented to support such claim is anecdotal and based on sighted comparison, and therefore prone to preconception caused errors.

Just because some big speakers appear to sound bigger than some small speakers, does not mean that there is an universally valid 1:1 cause-effect relationship.

D

Deleted member 48726

I'm not aware of any scientifically valid test that would prove that a physically bigger speaker "sounds bigger" than a physically smaller speaker. As far as I can see, all evidence presented to support such claim is anecdotal and based on sighted comparison, and therefore prone to preconception caused errors.

Just because some big speakers appear to sound bigger than some small speakers, does not mean that there is an universally valid 1:1 cause-effect relationship.

And vice versa!

I will go on a limb and suggest people having slim line or bookshelf speakers go ahead and try a well built three way speaker with a 12" woofer or larger and then with a straight face tell me that there was no difference even with comparative volume. Much of it is in the bass area IME where the larger speaker will smash the small in terms of clean SPL and physical presence.

I have NO DATA to back this up but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

There are a couple of threads on here reg. sound from larger speakers vs. small.

RobL

I have a PA speaker (12” sub on bottom, column array on top and about 7’ tall overall) set up in my listening room atm and can directly compare it to a single 8361a. The “big” speaker and the “small” speaker don’t sound any different in size to me. I think it’s mostly sighted bias, SPL capability and bass extension that we perceive as “bigger”.

D

Deleted member 48726

I have a PA speaker (12” sub on bottom, column array on top and about 7’ tall overall) set up in my listening room atm and can directly compare it to a single 8361a. The “big” speaker and the “small” speaker don’t sound any different in size to me. I think it’s mostly sighted bias, SPL capability and bass extension that we perceive as “bigger”.
Of course. And that we perceive as more realistic or dynamic. "Effortless" for another word. -->Bigger sound

Bound to SPL and clean dynamic range IME.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
So theoretically a 8010 and 8361 should sound the same size at the same SPL ?
I'm not saying you're wrong or something but from personal experience the smaller speakers always sounded smaller to me

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
The size of the box. There's so much of what we think of as the "sound" of electronic gear that comes from the look of the gear. Of course, the baffle, the box the speakers are in also gives sonic cues as regards the size of the speakers. This makes me think of the Spica TC 50 speakers, small speakers that could throw a large image. Open you eyes, much of the illusion fell apart [of course, they also were pretty limited in the bass as well].

View attachment 118915

Amazing pair of speakers. I chose the Magnepan 1C's over these - back in the day. The Spica's were definitely "imaging kings". During the demo they got pushed a little too hard and the woofer on one speaker got stuck in the "out" position. The sales guy pushed it back and it started playing fine again, but I think that is what pushed me away from them.

RobL

I'm not saying you're wrong or something but from personal experience the smaller speakers always sounded smaller to me
If you limited the 8361 to the same frequency response as the 8010 and played them at a level the 8010 wasn't straining I think in a blind test you have some trouble :)
I think this size difference is bigger actually:
IMG_0804.jpeg

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The 8010 is severely SPL limited

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you limited the 8361 to the same frequency response as the 8010 and played them at a level the 8010 wasn't straining I think in a blind test you have some trouble :)
I think this size difference is bigger actually:
View attachment 345420
Emphasis is mine .... You "Think".. :)

Has this been measured /tested?

Peace.

Top Bottom