• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

roz

Topping D50s, JDS Atom a couple years or so ago. Recently Buckeye amp 2 channel Hypex 252mp module in ghent audio case as well as a Schiit magnius modius stack.

LearningToSmile

Even though it has not been reviewed here yet, I bought a FiiO Q3 Balanced THX DAC / AMP and balanced 2.5mm cable set.
They arrived today and so far VERY impressed.
I was kinda interested in this one, did you maybe use it with any sensitive IEMs? One criticism I've read is that with some IEMs like Campfire Andromeda/Solaris there is an audible noise floor, but it came from a review filled with the most blatant audiofoolery, so I'm not sure how much weight to put into it.

CJH

Topping D70--Happy now that the 768Khz issue has been fixed with 5.0 update.
KEF LS50 Meta--Just received these. Was curious how they sound with such a nice vertical and horizontal contour.
CJH

TomekNet

I wish I haven't discovered this forum :D

Denon x3700
KEF R3
NAD c298
Buckeye 6-channel nCore amp
Mogami 2534 RCA-XLR cables

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Not directly because of reviews, but because of the crowd on these forums:
AudioTechnica AT-VM540ML

I wish I haven't discovered this forum :D

Denon x3700
KEF R3
NAD c298
Buckeye 6-channel nCore amp
Mogami 2534 RCA-XLR cables
How do you like your R3s?

I was kinda interested in this one, did you maybe use it with any sensitive IEMs? One criticism I've read is that with some IEMs like Campfire Andromeda/Solaris there is an audible noise floor, but it came from a review filled with the most blatant audiofoolery, so I'm not sure how much weight to put into it.

Alclair Reference Triple Drivers / custom molded

SPECIFICATIONS
  • Three Balanced Armature Drivers
  • Two Way Crossover
  • 102 dB sensitivity at 1 kHz (100mV)
  • 108 dB sensitivity at Peak (100mV)
  • Two Bore
  • -26 dB noise reduction
  • 27Ω impedance at 1 kHz
No discernible noise floor / dead silent actually on either gain setting.

Using balanced 2.5mm TRRS output the Q3 was a definite improvement over the $9 Apple 3,5mm DAC. I’ll try to avoid the usual audiophile trope but biggest improvement was in LF “girth” and detail / apparent mix separation.

That said what I’m not sold on yet is whether I’ll be able to deal with the extra hassle of another device and cables to listen to music. Primary use is travel / pre COVID 75K miles a year + 3-4 trips to Europe. Since I’m not playing live gigs anymore the Alclair‘s live in my backpack and get used solely during flights.

Last edited:

TomekNet

How do you like your R3s?
They are much better than my previous KEFs Q350. Sound is very clear. Bass is tight and springy. Sound is very refined in general. I don't have lot of experience, but I've never heard a better speakers. I have crossed them at 80Hz with two subs.

jeffbook

Topping L30 headphone amp followed by its immediate replacement with a JDS Atom amp. Sennheiser HD6XX headphones from Drop based on Amir's review of his HD650 phones.

That purchased started a successful search on this site for EQ information. All of this was due to the existence of this website.

deprogrammed

Adding one more. The Topping D10 and now the Loxjie D30. Just set it up today and I am digging it. Does all I need and more. Sounds good.

Vetal

Infinity R162.
Thanks to ASR.

Nozza

Only been on the forum for a week or two and bought an SMSL m100 mk2 on the strength of the review.
It has solved my noisy output issues and seems like a great bit of kit.

the_hamster 2

Introduced to the Topping/SMSL line, and US vendor Apos...bought an E30 DAC dedicated to CCA streaming...also purchased a Gustard A18 DAC - on its way and will be interfaced with Win10 PC/Audirvana for hi-res Qobuz streaming upstairs in the “man cave”.
Auditioned the Bluesound Node 2i, but cost/convenience not justified vs optimised computer > DAC SQ, IMHO.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
First product I bought because of these forums was the Topping D10. It was suppose to replace my Creative titanium hd but I went back to it. Next I bought a used EVGA Nu Audio card, great sounding adc and dac but the drivers are terrible. Switching from ASIO to DS and back made the drivers crash. Im not the only experiencing these issues and also the fact that evga doesnt want to update there drivers anymore. I only use it these days to record. Next product I bought was Topping E30. Great little dac and I would say its really good for the money. Ironically before I bought my evga card, I was thinking of buying the creative ae-5. I didnt because it didnt do dsd and had a super ****** line in.

the_hamster 2

Gustard A18 in hand - MQA(?) ready, USB input...ready to tune it up via WinPC>Audiviran>Qobuz>DAC...life is good.

Shadaraman

Because of Amir's reviews, I bought the Modi 3 and Magni Heresy. Because of another thread on the forums, I ordered a Stressless Mayfair recliner for my new listening space. Hopefully the damn thing actually shows up soon. :p

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Added a desktop setup: Genelec 8010+7040 sub.

Prior ASR-inspired purchases: RME ADI-2; HifiMan HE400, Roon

Also several Raspberry Pi-based streamers, not because Amir recommended them so much as this place made me feel more certain that the audiophile streamers were a waste of money, and provided some encouragement to get through the fiddly part of setting them up.

holbob

Recently sold my 8 year old Marantz AVR and speakers and have replaced them pretty much exclusively with advice and measurements from this forum (and elsewhere).

Raspberry Pi Streamer
Hifiberry digi+
Minidsp Nanodigi
Topping E30
Behringer A800
Elac Debut Reference DBR62

Speakers haven't arrived yet, looking forward to seeing what proper equalisation can do - only ever used Audyssey in the avr before.
This now has changed due to the Topping E30 malfunctioning. I tried a SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII Dac for a while, but eventually upgraded to a RME ADI-2 FS dac due to direct input remote issues and electrical and pc noise. Enabled me to sell the minidsp as well. This improved the issue slightly but continued with the "upgrade" of the A800 to an xtz edge a2-300. Well made amp, but too much noise as the gain increased. In the end I sold it and recently got an audiophonics hypex using xlr. All ground loops, electrical noise, gpu noise - all gone, overnight. Absolutely nothing, even with a higher non controllable gain on the hypex.

The only thing I have that hasn't been bought as a result of ASR is the SVS SB1000 subwoofer. Review more subs!

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A decent but cheap Lenovo laptop. It wasn't until coming here that I understood it as a powerful audio component for free measuring, EQ, etc.

Top Bottom