• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently pre-purchased the Gustard X16 DAC, with a SINAD score of 121 for 450$ ? who could resist tbh.

It is my very first stand alone DAC, i feel it's like losing your virginity to Henry Cavil lol.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, well, well. Since I read ASR I've stopped to buy expansive gear. Better than that, I've sold a lot.

But, but, but... I've started to buy a lot of ChiFi... Last week it was the Gustard X16, and combo Topping E30 L30 (note sure in fact).

And, and, and, because of Solderdude, bought a K361 and K371. In fact 2 K361: it's the beauty of having many children, It offers a lot of occasions to buy something.
Perhaps you forgot to say that you bought the ELAC DBR-62 & the JBL 305p mk2!

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Is there anything you bought thanks to ASR that you regret purchasing?

Frankly speaking, no.

But I though the JBL 305P MkII where better than what they are. Anyway, for the price, of course it's a bargain.

I forgot to mention I also bought the Cambridge Audio Duo and it's an huge improvement over what I was using.

Maybe I should write somewhere all the money spend on new equipment (because of ASR), and in the near column the money from high end equipment I've sold. Clearly the balance is in favor of my pocket (righ now, but...)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Those speakers were not recommended here, why did you buy them nevertheless?
Are they any good? :)
Genelec 8040B not recommended? I didn't see that discussion.
8040B can play +3dB louder, and has -6db at 41hz (not 47hz like 8030C).
In terms of overall speaker size, I like it for my setup...it's not too big (like the bigger PSB bookshelves I have for home theater) or too small (like 8030C would have been).
I bought since it was cheaper than retail 8030C by 14% (amazon warehouse deal). Deal was too good to ignore. ;)
If you guys like, I would gladly send it for testing.

It blows my JBL 305P MKII out of the water, in terms of clarity.
Unfortunately, my other HT speakers and measurement microphone is in storage, so I'll do a comparison next year.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec 8040B not recommended? I didn't see that discussion.
8040B can play +3dB louder, and has -6db at 41hz (not 47hz like 8030C).
In terms of overall speaker size, I like it for my setup...it's not too big (like the bigger PSB bookshelves I have for home theater) or too small (like 8030C would have been).
I bought since it was cheaper than retail 8030C by 14% (amazon warehouse deal). Deal was too good to ignore. ;)
If you guys like, I would gladly send it for testing.

It blows my JBL 305P MKII out of the water, in terms of clarity.
Unfortunately, my other HT speakers and measurement microphone is in storage, so I'll do a comparison next year.
I meant "not recommended" as not tested yet.

I would love to see it tested as I'm hesitating with 8030 at the moment.

martin900

What i've bought after reading ASR's reviews? The THX 789 (didn't like it at all) and the Topping D50S, D70 and D90, the Toppings were OK.
Currently switched to R2R Ares II and Terminator+ both from Denafrips.

rongon

Let's see...
A couple years ago I got a Topping D10 (no 's'). It's good. Use it all the time.
Before that I got a pair of JBL 305P (not 'mkII'). Those are still in use too.

NepinMn

Bought:
Genelec 8330As with GLM

Will buy soon: 7350A sub

Quit:
- My path down the tube preamp, tube amp rabbit hole.
- started selling/donating my collection of functional and non-functional vibtage speakers and amps.

A few weeks ago, I got to experience a kind friend's listening room that he has built/tweaked over years. My listening space doesn't compare to that, but I am very happy with what I have got using these Genelecs/GLM. Tidal> Laptop USB > Breeze audio usb to aes-ebu converter > Genelec speakers.

Before asr, I had not heard of Genelecs.

Booker

Forum Donor
I didn't buy them based on the review ASR but still, keep them in use based on their review here. Those are NAD 320BEE as a power amp and Chromecast Audio. I bought the RME ADI-2 DAC FS based on the review here. And I am gathering the courage to purchase a DIY kit to build PURIFI based power amp and finish my hi-fi journey.

To question
Fiio A5, Khadas TB.

Interesting question as well: Which gear did you dismiss AFTER reading about in ASR? I think this list will be substantially longer :) ......

After the purchase of RME ADI-2 DAC FS, I am not using anymore iFi iPurifier S/PDIF that was feeding my previous DAC-PREAMP Nuforce HDP. Now the DAC is fed directly from CCA.

Yoann44

SMSL M500 but I'm quite disappointed by the lack of reliability. My 1st unit has been replaced by the manufacturer but the 2nd still have some little trouble. Anyway, on the sound side, it's fine.
I also bought a NCore 252MP and I'm totally happy with this. The next amplifier will also be a NCore or Purifi with just more power than the 252.

DrJ

Benchmark AHB2.

I was looking for a replacement for my aging MC2105, and was considering Odyssey monos in a middling configuration. But it bothered me that the only reviews/comments were by the golden-ear types, and the only (old! low end!) measurements I found truly were mediocre. I'm of the Aczel/The Audio Critic school, so I figured the manufacturer did not value these sorts of measurements.

So far I am very pleased with the AHB2 decision.

BillG

Major Contributor
As a direct result:

Chromecast Audio
Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle

Verified to be good value after the fact:

Infinity Reference 162
Klipsch PowerGate (when it was on sale at $150USD)

Maki

Topping D90/A90, Topping D50s/A50s. I've been in pain for years from having to deal with hiss when I use IEMs on my desktop stack. The cornucopia of multiple terminations, adapters, and dac/amp stacks for top tier solid state performance with all headphones was a huge thorn in my side. The toppings finally fixed my problems since I can now use the 4.4mm standard for my DAP, desktop, docked laptop, and phone (with the Lotoo PAW S1). I never thought I'd use the bluetooth in the DACs but it's honestly really convenient. Finally I can sort the SINAD list the other way around and play with fun/crappy tube gear and R2R DACs without audio nervosa over my reference stack.

Mostly everything, except speakers:

Matrix X-Sabre Pro
Okto Research DAC Stereo
D-Class amplifiers: Hypex NC250MP based (Hattor 250W), Purifi 1ET400A DIY
Streamer (I recognised USB + low noise are the important factors at streamers): Allo USBridge Signature, RPI4 in Okto Researc DAC

Thank you ASR community and Amirm !

I bought the Okto DAC stereo with PI streamer end of November. Should arrive beginning of februari 2021. Are you happy with the Okto? Does it live up to the expectations?

Top Bottom