• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is it that makes the 598's sound so much better than every other headphones I've tried?

BingaMoon

I've tried the Sennheiser 560's, 600's, 650's, 660's. Also tried Shure 1840's, AKG K702's, Hifiman Sundara's, KLH Ultimate One's, Fidelio X3, Avantone Pro's, Audio-Technica R70x's, and I thought the 598's sounded better than all of them. What could it be? Angled drivers? What else could make them sound much better to me? What headphones should I be looking to for a similar sounding upgrade?

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would suggest something way different then the Sennheiser HD598 headphones.
Soundmagic HP 200 open headphones, nice fiesta sound.

staticV3

Master Contributor
What could it be? Angled drivers? What else could make them sound much better to me?
Could it be that you simply prefer how the HD 598 is tuned? It has a somewhat unusual tuning and so I wouldn't be surprised if that's why other headphones didn't do it for you.
Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 16.28.42.png

The 598 combines a typical, old-school DD bass response with a pinna gain that's similar to HiFiMan's house sound.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What could it be? Angled drivers?

Since you tried the HD560S as well which has the same angle driver and even enclosure that cannot be the sole reason.
The HD598 has more midbass/warmth (around 150Hz) than the other headphones you mentioned.

Tried the Shure SRH1540 ?
Beyerdynamic DT880 BSE, Amiron home, TYGR300R, DT1990 with Balanced pads.
The Beyers may be too sharp sounding for you though but there are solutions for this so these might be interesting as well.

Chyżwar

The HD598 sound more spacious to me than the HD560s, probably due to less headband pressure (same thing with DT880 Pro vs HD880 Edition and DT990 Pro vs. DT990 Edition).

twsecrest

I've tried the Sennheiser 560's, 600's, 650's, 660's. Also tried Shure 1840's, AKG K702's, Hifiman Sundara's, KLH Ultimate One's, Fidelio X3, Avantone Pro's, Audio-Technica R70x's, and I thought the 598's sounded better than all of them. What could it be? Angled drivers? What else could make them sound much better to me? What headphones should I be looking to for a similar sounding upgrade?
If you like the HD598, chances are you like a somewhat boring but detailed sound.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you like the HD598, chances are you like a somewhat boring but detailed sound.
After EQ'ing my 598's to death they sound pretty good. :D But then I have not heard anything else to compare them to. :D

Smitty2k1

I too have the 598se and nothing else. Always wondered what something "better" would sound like.

fun

I used 598 for many years, and it sounds really good especially after EQ. That say, after acquiring the Ananda, I rarely listen to 598 anymore. I find the Ananda (EQ) to have better clarity, deeper bass, more precise imaging and larger sound stage. 598 is smoother, so may sound better for poor recordings.

twsecrest

Best bang for the buck, IMHO, Takstar HF 580 planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads, about $225-$250 for the combo.
I too have the 598se and nothing else. Always wondered what something "better" would sound like.
Something with a bigger, in your face bass.

DeepFried

I also found the HD598s to be quite enjoyable, they have quite a bit of mid/upper bass warmth and just enough low treble to pull out some detail so that they don't sound dark but without any sharpness or sibilance. Depending on music genre it can be a very pleasant sound signature.

I think many here are too used to listening to the Harman curve, or overly bright 'audiophile' headphones to really be able to appreciate them. When you're used to something brighter or more Harman aligned then you hear them as boomy and dull.

My main criticism of the HD598's is the lack of clarity I found in them compared to my HD600's. Side by side the HD598's sounded more blurred and mushy in the treble and upper mids. I gave away my HD598's in the end, and currently PEQ my HD600's to oratory's Harman target. I feel the 600's were an upgrade for me from the HD598's, but you have to realise you'll need to 'break' yourself of the HD598 tuning before you can appreciate something else without just comparing it to the HD598.

Svperstar

My first "real" headphones were the Senn 595 which are the generation behind the 598s. Very fun headphones I sold them to my friend and he used them till they were falling apart in his hands. I preferred the sound of the Senn 580s I got out of my old Gilmore Lite amp. Just smoother and more refined.

MachOne

It's just the tuning suits your particular ear response I'd say. I have 598 and 560 (with filter) and the 598 is just too rolled off for me and the mid bass hump is pretty obvious. It's fine for TV use though.

ADU

Major Contributor

I think the HFM Sundara was revised around 2020 or 2021. Just curious which you tried, and whether it was before or after that revision.

ADU

Major Contributor
I had it in December of 2021

Thanks for the reply BingaMoon. I'm sorry to say I haven't used the HD 598, or any other headphone that you mentioned, though it sounds like several other folks here have. I can speculate a little though based on the sound signature of the headphone.

Some people are more sensitive to brightness in the upper mids than others. Alot of older men experience hearing loss in that range, for example. And consequently are less sensitive to sound in that range than many younger people.

A younger listener, with less upper midrange loss, might tend to prefer a headphone that is more withdrawn in that range, like the HD 598. Whereas an older listener might experience the same sound signature as too warm or muddy. And prefer a headphone with more brightness in the upper mids to compensate for their hearing loss in that range.

ADU

Major Contributor
Based on looking at the graphs, the HD 598 might be just bit too withdrawn in the upper mids (but not much) and maybe also in some spots in the mid treble. And maybe a bit too warm in the upper bass/lower mids.

I would look for a headphones that is somewhat similar, but a bit better extended into the sub-bass frequencies. And a bit more neutral in the upper bass, mids and treble. And maybe a little closer to the in-ear response of a well-extended neutral loudspeaker in a room. If you like the warmer sound of the HD 598, then you might want to continue to err a little toward that on other headphones.

Finding all of the above in a good open-back headphone might be a little bit of a challenge.

If you didn't like the sound of the HFM Sundara, then maybe you also prefer dynamic headphones to planar magnetics. Or maybe you need a little EQ to add some more bass and warmth to the planars instead, since they're a bit lacking in that range.

ADU

Major Contributor
If the HD 598 has angled drivers, that might also be a contributing factor to why you like its sound. Alot of folks think that can help improve a headphone's soundstage and/or imaging.

I owned a pair of AudioTechnica M50x's for awhile. And I think the angled drivers did make some difference in the sound on those headphones versus other headphones I've used in the same price range with flat drivers.

I am told by audiophiles that the depth of the earpads can also make a difference though. The HD 800/800S has fairly deep pads, for example. And is known for having a very large sound stage. It makes some sense, because there is probably better pinna interaction in headphones with deeper cups. Which may help to contribute to the illusion of a greater sense of space in the headphone. The HD800/S is a brighter headphone than the HD 598 though, which may not be what you want. It's also quite a bit more $$ too!

I think, as solderdude mentioned, that you have tried some other headphones with angled drivers, like the HD 560S. And I think the AKG K702 may also have bevelled or angled earpads (though I may be confusing it with a different model). If your preference for the HD 598 is based on multiple factors though, including its somewhat warmer sound signature. Then that could explain why you still preferred it to some other headphones with angled drivers or pads, that have a different or brighter sound signature.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What headphones should I be looking to for a similar sounding upgrade?
None, I you like your 598's why keep looking?
I've been perfectly happy with my HD650s for X number of years now so I quit searching. That's what leads to audiophilia nervosa. ;)

Top Bottom