• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is exactly hi-res audio, and should I care?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
For various reasons, I find both references irrelevant to my interests.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I read the articles. Typical of mass market press it has some glaring mistakes such as saying our first introduction to 24-bit audio files was through SACD which as we all know, it is a 1-bit format.

The best reason to get high resolution audio is because that is how it is created. There is no reason anymore for a middleman to then crunch it down to 16/44.1 when we are not dealing with a CD or compressed audio distribution.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The best reason to get high resolution audio is because that is how it is created. There is no reason anymore for a middleman to then crunch it down to 16/44.1 when we are not dealing with a CD or compressed audio distribution.

Not sure what you mean....what middle man are you referring to?

If I buy a high resolution file straight from the record label, I can often choose whatever resolution / file size I want, no middlemen involved, e.g.:

http://www.2l.no/hires/

Top Bottom