• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Stein

This picture summarizes my feelings right now
4D90D6D1-F49F-4B4C-80FB-15C3712FD222.jpg

Recently got a Aeon Flow Closed...

digititus

Most of my listening is done on headphones these days, with the exception of movies/tv.
Ultrasone Pro 900 and Ultrasone Pro 750 (donated to other family member) for use with DAC and headamp.
Dunu 2000J and Falcon C IEM's for the majority of listening. Portable / travel / work.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
HD-650 & HD-6XX (favorite full size)
Campfire Andromeda (favorite IEM)
Audioquest Nighthawk
Fostex TH-X00
Bose QC25 (noise canceling)

These I’m gonna sell:
------
Bose QC20 (noise canceling IEM)
Hifiman HE-560
HD-800 (really bad without EQ for my taste)

Maybe there’s some more

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I replaced my Sony WH-1000X M2 wireless noise cancelling headphones with a pair of normal Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 headphones recently. The Sony's had excellent noise cancelling but I find that for commuting on trains the passive noise isolation of the Audio Technica's is quite sufficient and their sound quality is a class above the Sony's. I know some criticise the MSR7 for being too bright, but whilst I admit they're on the bright side they're not unduly bright and are still within the bounds of what I'd call pretty balanced. They're nicely made, comfortable, and sound terrific. And they were cracking value. They're now my daily "working" headphones I use on trains, when travelling etc. The Beyerdynamic T5P II is marketed by Beyerdynamic as a mobile headphone but it isn't, it is a closed back model otimised for mobile devices but it isn't really mobile. However, I do love my T5P II's and wouldn't part with them. I also love the Oppo PM-2, a wonderfully smooth, inviting and sonorious sound. I may sell my DT1990's as I have too many headphones, I will keep the Sony MDR Z7's though, I know a lot of people were a bit negative about those and although I wouldn't rate them as being as good as the T5P II or PM-2 I find them huely enjoyable when I'm in the right mood.

Tircuit

Forum Donor
This picture summarizes my feelings right nowView attachment 19052
Recently got a Aeon Flow Closed...

Love to hear your thoughts on each. I have HE-400i (amongst others) and have the upgrade itch even though I enjoy them a lot. I'd like more subbass, which I'm guessing the Aeons have and the Senns don't?

Tircuit

Forum Donor
Loves:

HE-400i (amazing sound with angled leather pads)
Sennheiser Momentum (comfortable and light for commuting)
Final E4000 IEM - highly recommend

Have and are good:

Philips 9500 (pretty good for the money!)
Fostex T40RP mkii (for modding)

Have and were good until I heard the above:

ATH-M50x (kid loves and hasn't broken)
Koss Porta Pro (lots of fun, connection will break yearly)
Phillips Fidelio earbuds (discontinued, but cheap and good)

Dogen

Forum Donor
I can only now answer in the plural. A few days ago, I added the Sennheiser 6xx, which joins the Sony MDR-v6. I’m loving the 6xx (what more can be written at this point?) but I’m also appreciating more the Sonys. They each have their own strengths and personalities, and it’s nice to have a choice between two inexpensive options I like.

Stein

Love to hear your thoughts on each. I have HE-400i (amongst others) and have the upgrade itch even though I enjoy them a lot. I'd like more subbass, which I'm guessing the Aeons have and the Senns don't?

Yep, the Aeons have more subbass than the HD6XX. The build quality is also excellent, using carbon fiber, metal, leather, and high quality synthetic material. Besides the differences in subbass, the Aeons sound a tad more neutral(without filter pads) whereas the HD6XX is a bit more warm. From a quick preliminary listen, it would seem that the Aeons have better resolution with hectic passages in music. Personally, I find the pads also a bit more comfortable, as they do not get as hot and retain less moisture as the Sennheisers do.

Last edited:

westyjeff

I just added Focal Elex and Mr Speaker Either C Flow's to my collection,,,, The Elex's sound amazing on the Loxji P20, nice wide sound stage, warm and vibrant. The Either C Flow's are closed back and have a great sound presence, great bass, crisp highs. They look awesome too with the carbon fiber cups.

artismo

HE4XX, smooth and my go-to relaxing headphone
Focal Elex, for mixing and critical listening

Oppo PM-3, tracking and critical listening
Audeze Sine, my go-to portable, to my ears the bass is fuller and more textured, though brighter than the PM-3
Blue Ella, flatter, more detailed, and more accurate than the Sadie
Blue Sadie, warmer and fuller sound than Ella, my sealed “relaxing headphone”

Just sold my HD58X, treble was a bit grainy. Listened through my Topping D30 and MDO2.
Had Meze 99 Neos and thought the bass was too fat, BUT I miss that sound now and I am on the lookout for Classic 99s, first release with smaller pads and the rare white colorway.

Looking to expand my open-back headphones, a warm and or relaxing SS that is not an Hd650. I loved the HD650, but I’m trying to expand my horizons a bit.

I auditioned the Acoustic Research AR-H1, it sounded flat and boring, good for mixing, but for an open-back, I couldn’t get past the intensely in-head sound. Tried binaural tracks and the UD-505, Marantz 5012, and Cayin A1-H1 MK2 tubes and couldn’t get the sound out of my head enough. It felt as narrow as the HD series, sometimes narrower on some tracks. The best I could get was sound sitting outside one ear, passing center-head, then just outside opposite ear.

My wallet has a built-in fuse that itching for a light from the PM-1/2, LCD2, and Sundara.

D

Deleted member 5035

HiFiMan Arya and HiFiMan HE400i - Driven by a JDS Element headphone amp...

D

Deleted member 5035

I also have the HE400i. I just upgraded to the new Arya. You'll have a hard time finding a better headphone for the money - not to imply that they are affordable. They sound similar to the 400i, but much more open, and with much better bass.

Veri

Master Contributor
Audio Technica ATH-AD2000

My guilty pleasure. Fans of these don't own them for their accuracy or detail. Very fast driver with a very coloured and romantic sound signature. Love them for tracks where the emphasis are on vocals (especially female vocals), strings (violins, guitars etc), and snappy percussion. The odd sound signature doesn't make it a great all rounder though.

<3

HiFiMan Arya and HiFiMan HE400i - Driven by a JDS Element headphone amp...

how are those Arya's ??

D

Deleted member 5035

how are those Arya's ??

The drivers are basically the same as those in the HE1000 and HE1000-V2. They are neutral and smooth, with no annoying peaks or valleys, and that includes nice, even, textured bass that is flat, all the way down to 10 Hz. From what I've gathered from others who are more familiar with HiFiman that I am, they have a pretty typical HiFiMan sound signature, but with better bass, and a much more open sound than most. I don't have a lot of experience with very many high end headphones, but I'm having a hard time imagining how anything could sound much better.

Veri

Master Contributor
From what I've gathered from others who are more familiar with HiFiman that I am, they have a pretty typical HiFiMan sound signature, but with better bass, and a much more open sound than most. I don't have a lot of experience with very many high end headphones, but I'm having a hard time imagining how anything could sound much better.

Damn that sounds great..

D

Deleted member 5035

Damn that sounds great..
My experience with high end headphones is fairly limited, so I'm careful not to overdo it with the superlatives, but I'm impressed. There aren't many professional reviews or measurements for the Arya available yet, but what little I've seen has been positive. I must add that, unless there is a glaring problem, most headphone reviews tend to be positive. Even some relatively inexpensive headphones sound pretty good these days, but the sound of the Arya seems to hit well above it's price. I really, really want to see them objectively compared to the HE1000-V2.

ruppertgreen404

My DT 770 Pro headphones I found about 2 years ago here: https://besttechexpert.guide/ The legendary model from the German company Beyerdynamic, is the most popular model among studio headphones. Headphones will suit both professionals for work and lovers of natural sound. I never regretted my choice.

Last edited:

Swtoby

My favorites depend on what i'm doing/circumstances of when I'm trying to listen. If I'm out for a walk Superlux HD562 work well because they help keep out the environmental noise and my player has no issue driving them. I also use them at work because they do not radiate sound my coworkers can hear and are cheap so I won't get fussed if something happens to them.

At home my preferences would by NAD Viso HP50, Audio Technica ATH M40x or Senal SMH 1000 for when there's more noise around me from family, etc. I find the sound of the NAD to be tops along with my favorites, but agree with some that comfort isn't optimal. The Audio Technica is better in that regard.

When the outside world is quiet enough my favorites are the Sennheiser HD 6xx, HD 58x and Fostex T50rp. I prefer the HD 6xx on a Little Dot Mk2 amp and the HD 58x/Fostex on a JDS Labs EL amp. If I could only pick one setup out of all this for the desert island it would probably be the HD 58x and JDS Labs.

I also have a pair of Grado SR125 which I don't use much and used to have a Stax Lambda setup. The Stax headband broke and the earpads started sliding off. That soured me on Stax even though soundwise they might have been my favorite of all the headphones I've owned. They were also the most expensive so I wasn't impressed by the build quality. I also won't buy headphones anymore that don't have detachable cable after I broke the connector on a pair of Sony MDR 7506.

On order is a pair of Vokyl Erupts from an Indiegogo campaign. I wouldn't have bothered until I learned of the JDS Labs connection, so I decided to take a risk with this crowd funding option.

Veri

Master Contributor
I just bought AD700 again (non-x). The purple funky looking kind. These are so insanely good for the money lol, very airy and wide, non fatiguing and very comfortable. Could easily just live with these €60-80 headphones and be content :) too bad they're out of production.

Top Bottom