• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What do you guys think of this DAC here?

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A lot of people say that Sabre has a boring sound signature, makes me hesitant to buy the D50 or Khadas.
Don't listen to a lot of people. ;)
A proper designed DAC (as the D50 or Khadas) are transparent.
You don't listen to a DAC. You might be listening to an AMP, but you will certainly be listening to a headphone or a speaker.
There are things like impedance matching on the analogue side, like headphone out from a Scarlet 2i2. High impedance will colour the sound of a low impedance iem. Same goes for amps vs speakers. You might be able to mismatch certain speakers with certain amps. An IC that sounds boring? LOL

OP
Nobunaga

Nobunaga

Don't listen to a lot of people. ;)
A proper designed DAC (as the D50 or Khadas) are transparent.
You don't listen to a DAC. You might be listening to an AMP, but you will certainly be listening to a headphone or a speaker.
There are things like impedance matching on the analogue side, like headphone out from a Scarlet 2i2. High impedance will colour the sound of a low impedance iem. Same goes for amps vs speakers. You might be able to mismatch certain speakers with certain amps. An IC that sounds boring? LOL

I get that, but a different DAC might alter the sound that comes out of your speakers or headphones. Some might sound better or worse than others and the DAC chip plays a role in that, i know it's not the only thing.

I am pretty sure that each chip manufacturer has a "house-sound".

Anyway, M00ndancer and graz_lag convinced me to go for D50 or Khadas.

Is there any difference in terms of sound between the two?

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I get that, but a different DAC might alter the sound that comes out of your speakers or headphones. Some might sound better or worse than others and the DAC chip plays a role in that, i know it's not the only thing.

I am pretty sure that each chip manufacturer has a "house-sound".

Anyway, M00ndancer and graz_lag convinced me to go for D50 or Khadas.

Is there any difference in terms of sound between the two?

Khadas will come out with a card update in two-three months, you may want to wait a bit ...

deafenears

Forum Donor
The 4495 is the worst chip among the 44 series from AKM.
The one that saves a bit the 44 series is the 4497.
IMHO.
The 'product portfolio' taken from the AKM website - https://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/detail/0054/#tab02:
MLcwdXi0.png
So both the 4493 and 4497 seems to measure better, according to AKM.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Many DAC's have been reviewed on this site. Just pick any of them tested at 100 db or better noise + distortion. There are different prices and features, but all of them will be transparent.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Many DAC's have been reviewed on this site. Just pick any of them tested at 100 db or better noise + distortion. There are different prices and features, but all of them will be transparent.
Thanks Ron, a more eloquent answer than mine. My English isn't that good.

vert

Forum Donor
I have been using this DAC for some time and have been very happy with it. Driver installation took 30 seconds, it's been super stable and glitch-free from day one on all inputs, with any device. At the time I was looking at the DAC market in Switzerland and there was hardly anything worthwhile under $400. Audiophonics had the ASR-tested Topping D30 but the build quality and the power supply didn't seem as good. And with no access to such insider knowledge as the 4495 chip being the worst in its series that wasn't a consideration in my decision. Regardless, I get great sounds from it.

D

Deleted member 4987

I would like to see a measurement one day showing evidence that a Sabre chip should sound "sharp" whereas other chips shouldn't.

I know there are many non-native English speakers here, so I'll make it completely clear that my tongue was firmly in my cheek.

Though it's certainly worth considering the psychoacoustic propererties of a product when you name it.

Top Bottom