• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What do you guys think of the newly released Nobsound E6?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The demonization of feedback is very amusing, and very unfortunate. The measurements are unequivocal, and the math can be followed by a person who remembers high-school algebra,
They were promised there would be no math!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In reality they are simply parroting nonsense an "expert" said on the internet. Past there, arguments are futile.

A Crabb

Forum Donor
Precisely. Leaving them in place would have solved or at least reduced the effects of both key problems with this device: microphonics and RFI susceptibility. Using better tubes would have been nice, too.
When I put Soviet tubes into my E6, instead of discarding the aluminum cases, I decided to use them as RF/EMF blocking hats for the tubes (tin-foil hats). ;)
IMG_9441.jpeg

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When I put Soviet tubes into my E6, instead of discarding the aluminum cases, I decided to use them as RF/EMF blocking hats for the tubes (tin-foil hats). ;)
What modifications were required to get them to fit?

A Crabb

Forum Donor
What modifications were required to get them to fit?

After reading through the Audiokarma thread on the E6, I ordered the Soviet tubes off of Ebay and a pipe cutter off of Amazon that can accommodate 1.25” diameter. I just had to mark the new tubes with a marker before I cut them out so that I could easily orient them into the sockets. The Youtube video below shows another method to cut the shells. Truthfully, I was happy with the Chinese tubes that came with mine; I think I got lucky. Initially, they had obvious bass roll-off, but that went away after a couple of days. To me, the most obvious difference with the Soviet tubes was that they didn’t have that initial bass roll-off. There were reports that the Soviet tubes were less likely to be microphonic, but I never had those issues with the stock tubes.

DavidMcRoy

After reading through the Audiokarma thread on the E6, I ordered the Soviet tubes off of Ebay and a pipe cutter off of Amazon that can accommodate 1.25” diameter. I just had to mark the new tubes with a marker before I cut them out so that I could easily orient them into the sockets. The Youtube video below shows another method to cut the shells. Truthfully, I was happy with the Chinese tubes that came with mine; I think I got lucky. Initially, they had obvious bass roll-off, but that went away after a couple of days. To me, the most obvious difference with the Soviet tubes was that they didn’t have that initial bass roll-off. There were reports that the Soviet tubes were less likely to be microphonic, but I never had those issues with the stock tubes.

I've seen the video on removing the cans before. My question is, what is required to get the cans to fit into the E6 as you have done? Did you cut off "part" of the cans?

A Crabb

Forum Donor
I've seen the video on removing the cans before. My question is, what is required to get the cans to fit into the E6 as you have done? Did you cut off "part" of the cans?
Sorry. I misunderstood what you were asking. I didn’t do anything. The shells are literally just resting upside down on the case of the E6. The tops of the shells were cut off to get the tubes out and then I just flipped them over and used them as hats. I sanded the edges of the shells where I cut them because they were pretty sharp.

DavidMcRoy

Sorry. I misunderstood what you were asking. I didn’t do anything. The shells are literally just resting upside down on the case of the E6. The tops of the shells were cut off to get the tubes out and then I just flipped them over and used them as hats. I sanded the edges of the shells where I cut them because they were pretty sharp.
Very clever!

rappaport

I find it quite funny techies vigorously discussing the sound of something they haven't even heard. Under the assumption their brilliant knowledge tells them what it might sound like. And what they've been taught is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. And that if e.g.an amp is low distortion and low noise then this amp will deliver the music untampered with.
Then pray tell me; why is it that two (or more) identically measuring amps most often sound different from one another? Could it be that the measurements mentioned don't really tell much about the quality of the device? And that there's much more to it, still to be uncovered? The discussion on NFB and it being inconcequentual for the fidelity of sound is funny at best. Even the fastest circuit will never be able to faithfully correct an ever changing waveform. It'll always lack behind and trying to correct a signal that has already changed.
To these ears the Time Domain is of far greater importance than if an amp has got 0.005% distortion or 0.5%, if wanting to try and emulate TAS.
I actually have one of these Douk E6 DHT preamps. Having listened to it in different set ups - including hi-end stuff some costing xxxx times more - it's a lot better that what its detracters claim. It contributes a slight organic humaness and 3-D effect to the sound, that will appeal to lots of MUSIClovers. And yes, the russian equivalent to the chinese default tubes, are a noticeable upgrade to the sound of the E6, being smoother, more fullbodied and natural sounding. Enjoy...
P.S. NO affiliation

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then pray tell me; why is it that two (or more) identically measuring amps most often sound different from one another?
Failure to accurately level match.
Failure to listen ears only without using eyes.
Failure to operate inside power envelope.

Tell me - why did you bother to create an account here? Just to come and tell us how wrong we all are? How far do you think that is going to get you? Every word you write tells us how little you understand about audio electronics.

rappaport

You've just inadvertently proven my point!
Going for the man instead of the ball.
- I knew you had it in you!
I'm just dying to hear of all the names, of all the world class amps, you've created with your superior understanding of electronics.
Don't be shy...

JohnnyAudio

I have one but it's not good, The tube harmonics make it impossible to use.

rappaport

Failure to accurately level match.
Failure to listen ears only without using eyes.
Failure to operate inside power envelope.

Tell me - why did you bother to create an account here? Just to come and tell us how wrong we all are? How far do you think that is going to get you? Every word you write tells us how little you understand about audio electronics.
You're answer kills me, and proves my point.
Instead of eyeing the ball, you went for the man. As I knew you would.
I'm dying to hear the names of all the wonderfull world class amps you've created with all your brilliant knowledge. Don't be shy!

Waxx

Major Contributor
You're answer kills me, and proves my point.
Instead of eyeing the ball, you went for the man. As I knew you would.
I'm dying to hear the names of all the wonderfull world class amps you've created with all your brilliant knowledge. Don't be shy!
These things have been tested, but there are a lot of execution variations of the same circuit inside. I have an older version of the same, and it's a distortion box, and not even the good type of distortion. If you like it, it's ok, but don't claim that it's good on hifi (= high fidelity) or that it can replace a real engineered tube amp. It's a ic preamp with a tube buffer that is badly executed, and it mainly generates general distortion, not clean 2nd and 3th harmonic distortion like the better coloured tube (pre)amps does.

Mine is since longtime somewhere in the pile of electronic trash that i may recycle parts of for something else. But like it is it's not usable for me. And you cussing those who don't like it and judge it on engineering (where it sucks) won't change that.

Neo Cyrus

I'm considering this to get the "tube" sound, my main DAC/amp is the SMSL C200 and I really like the ES9038 DAC on that, so I'd prefer to output from that to this thing then a final stage to amplify it. Does that final stage need to be tubes as well for the genuine "tube" sound? I hear just the pre-amp/voltage increase stage (which I'm guessing this would do since RCA out from the C200 presumably bypasses its own amplification?) is enough to achieve that.

Any suggestions for how I should approach this?

Top Bottom