• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What cables do you use in your systems?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question....I have these xlr cables to my active speakers....and even though many here says there is no difference in sound......in my ears these sound better than basic ones. I red about this skin effect here ......cables specs says they are unshielded....could that be the cause for ”better” sound?

No. The most likely cause is confirmation bias. Try a proper double-blind listening test.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw your other post on the snake oil that you replaced. It was not even crazy expensive but even so probably enough to buy something useful from the proceeds.
That's exactly the point. Instead of spend hundreds and hundreds to buy cables, trying to improve my speakers... I'd have rather buy another pair of speakers.

gino1961

Hi just to say to not overlook connectors. I think that same cable with better plugs can sound different=better.
For instance i put some banana plugs on my speaker cables and the sound is cleaner and more powerful
Also RCAs can have different quality.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that same cable with better plugs can sound different=better.
For instance i put some banana plugs on my speaker cables and the sound is cleaner and more powerful
Also RCAs can have different quality.
Most likely: not possible, from a scientific approach. So I would be the first one to ask: Try to do the listening blind, without knowing if there is bananas connected or not.

Plus, I would like to add: 99% of speakers binding posts are made of gold plated brass. How whatever metal in between could do a better job in conductivity?

Last edited:

gino1961

You have now got yourself on a very tricky road.
So, do you have something concrete to support your claims? How do you define cleaner sound or more powerful sound?
How should one interpret "better plugs"?

just listening to the same system ... at first with bare speaker wires and then terminated with this kind of bananas

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x-Nakamichi-24K-Gold-Plated-Copper-BFA-4mm-Banana-Plug-Male-Speaker-Connector/254336655844?hash=item3b37a561e4:g:TGkAAOSw2XFUdYb5&LH_BIN=1

much better sound ... less noise the image better the power in the bass better for same volume levels. Maybe the bare wire had a worse contact
Unfortunately not all speakers i use have binding post some have spring clips ... i am so positive about the plugs above that i am thinking to change binding posts on speakers
The very good ones unfortunately are also very very expensive (i.e. rhodium plated). But when the concept is sane even cheaper models are good. I can only guess that this kind of plugs allow for a greater surface contact area ? love them.
Also a friend of mine in his system has had a similar result.

Willem

Major Contributor
In fact, I happen to be using the same Nakamichi connectors. I do not hear any difference, but they sure look elegant. But to be honest, they are not as reliable as they should be. If I had a choice I would prefer Neutrik for a more secure connection (and identical sound).

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
just listening to the same system ... originally with bare wires and after with this kind of bananas

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x-Nakami...sh=item3b37a561e4:g:TGkAAOSw2XFUdYb5&LH_BIN=1
Well, most of the Nakamichi bananas are fake on eBay. They claim to be made of "copper" but most are magnetic (meaning: brass or even worst, iron). I had a ton of these. I cut one or two and discovered it was some kind of grey metal beneath the "gold plating".
much better sound ... less noise the image better the power in the bass better for same volume levels. Maybe the bare wire had a worse contact
Unfortunately not all speakers i use
Or maybe all changes you believed to perceive are nothing but placebo.

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
just listening to the same system ... at first with bare speaker wires and then terminated with this kind of bananas.

Ever heard of expectation bias? ABX? Double-blind tests?

Willem

Major Contributor
My Nakamichi plugs were the real thing from the Dutch importer. Unfortunately my speakers (Quad 2805s) do not have Neutrik connectors and that is precisely the only reason I am not using them.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The very good ones unfortunately are also very very expensive (i.e. rhodium plated).
From an electrical point of view, rhodium do has less conductivity than gold, so this doesn't make any sense.
Also a friend of mine in his system has had a similar result
Just another victim of the power of suggestion.

If I had a choice I would prefer Neutrik for a more secure connection (and identical sound).
Unfortunately, Neutrik doesn't build bananas or spades, just SpeakOn.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
How about this: https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/cables/products/benchmark-speaker-cable-nl2-to-banana-2-pole

Benchmark is as reliable a source as we have. Gino is right to bring up connections, in that bad quality ones that come loose can lead to a loss of dBs, hence making something sound "less powerful." Also see Amir's review of the AHB2 and what he says about the NL2 connectors.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything on the page claiming they improved the sound.

"poor speaker connections can easily create more distortion than the entire power amplifier"

Well, sure....but a jiggly speaker cable connection can cause this in any amp.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or just buy Canare 4S11 bulk, SpeakOn and bananas, and build your own cable for significantly cheaper.;)
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything on the page claiming they improved the sound.
I don't think this kind of serious manufacturer would do such claims. They just say it transmit the sound as it is

Top Bottom