• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What cables do you use in your systems?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Well since you only listen to white noise and singular sinus waves at specific khz(science) i can certainly understand that any lamp cord will do :)
I like music ;)

Music doesn't defy the laws of physics :D

The scientists at CERN do not audition cables to find the ones best suited for the equipment detecting subatomic particles. They can pick a perfectly good cable via nothing but calculations. There's zero reason why audio signals should be any different. The audible frequency spectrum even makes it a walk in the park compared to other signal types.

Cables are not an art form. They are 100% at the mercy of engineering.

sotiridaf

m

The scientists at CERN do not audition cables to find the ones best suited for the equipment detecting subatomic particles. They can pick a perfectly good cable via nothing but calculations. There's zero reason why audio signals should be any different. The audible frequency spectrum even makes it a walk in the park compared to other signal types.

Music has to do with laws of perception. Give me some math type that defines the laws of perception and then we cam talk if perception of each human can be measured and thus music. Even if you are tired you listen totally different when you have just woke up.

superczar

This is by far the best analogy I have seen on this debate!
Or maybe the good fellas at CERN could have detected a Biggs Hoson instead of the Higgs Boson if only they’d have chosen a $20K fairydust sprinkled cable for their measurement equipment !

m

Music has to do with laws of perception. Give me some math type that defines the laws of perception and then we cam talk if perception of each human can be measured and thus music. Even if you are tired you listen totally different when you have just woke up.

You are right - but your perception and the factors that affect it are independent of an engineered equipment.
You may very well love the engine on your car when driving after a fresh cup of coffee on a sunday morning and may hate the same on rush hour traffic on a thursday evening

But the engine and its characterstics do not change

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Music has to do with laws of perception. Give me some math type that defines the laws of perception and then we cam talk if perception of each human can be measured and thus music.

The perception of music relies heavily on physiology and psychology, yes. But all of that takes place AFTER the sound waves hits your ears. The cables in your system has absolutely no physical effect that can't be measured.

Even if you are tired you listen totally different when you have just woke up.

I agree, but does that mean that the physical properties of the cables in your system gets altered depending on your level of tiredness?

superczar

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love this topic and it's posts as long as it doesn't get aggressive. This page is a nice example - thank you ! :p

I'm mid way - as engineering and Hifi is Science , no doubt -
It's all about servicing M U S I C ...

And music is (still) art IMHO.

Now, is there any scientific approach to art :rolleyes:

Any analogy between Music and paintings or sculpture ?
It's like saying Hifi engineering is similar to Architecture and buildings.
Sure that there is science to build a Skyscraper
But nobody can define that one is nicer than the other. But there are surely objective reasons to indicate that one building is better than others.

That's the thin limit.

The most complicated issue, was to digitalize a perfect sinus wave. Hence put a lot of zeros and ones or little squares to represent a wave.
Squaring a circle you say ?

So here are the ones who defend the Hifi which is surely objective. The others who look at the musical, emotional part and that is Psychoacoustic if you absolutely wish to put some science behind.

But for sure you need some B A L A N C E or ... Harmonie ;)

superczar

It’s probably a little simpler than that.

If someone intends to add cable induced coloration to the sound, it’s a perfectly good pursuit by all means.
i am sure a thin tin wire will sound different than a decently thick copper wire for the same set of speakers.
It’s a hobby after all.
The art form/ perception aspect will dictate what sounds better.

but the underlying assumption here is that a user on this thread intends to minimise any signalling modifications due to the wires in use. And that does make it a science question, doesn’t it ?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had the pleasure of speaking to folks who do truly believe that an overtightened speaker binding post suffocates the inherent micro dynamics - apparently he could sense the singer’s voice sounding unnatural and muffled when he committed said blasphemous act!

With such golden ears, naturally the quality of the lifeblood supply (Power cables ) will make a huge difference!

And, if you move any of the cables, it will take the entire audio system a few days, even weeks, to settle... I have read that, someone posted that and went on to fund an audiophile website ...

In all seriousness, I got this HOWTO, from a website a few years ago. I have all the tools, so it wasn't a big deal, and constructed my cables following loosely his method. Result was that cables were nice and sturdy... In term of sound benefits : A veil was lifted, the soundstage became wider and in spite of the connector-type, the sound wasn't compressed... :p

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love this topic and it's posts as long as it doesn't get aggressive. This page is a nice example - thank you ! :p

I'm mid way - as engineering and Hifi is Science , no doubt -
It's all about servicing M U S I C ...

And music is (still) art IMHO.

Now, is there any scientific approach to art :rolleyes:

Any analogy between Music and paintings or sculpture ?
It's like saying Hifi engineering is similar to Architecture and buildings.
Sure that there is science to build a Skyscraper
But nobody can define that one is nicer than the other. But there are surely objective reasons to indicate that one building is better than others.

That's the thin limit.

The most complicated issue, was to digitalize a perfect sinus wave. Hence put a lot of zeros and ones or little squares to represent a wave.
Squaring a circle you say ?

So here are the ones who defend the Hifi which is surely objective. The others who look at the musical, emotional part and that is Psychoacoustic if you absolutely wish to put some science behind.

But for sure you need some B A L A N C E or ... Harmonie ;)
Harmonie... You may need to refresh or, likely really learn and try to understand digital ... if that's not in the cards, continue to enjoy the music and your beliefs...

Last edited:

paddycrow

Forum Donor
I use brand name cables that some would call overpriced. However, I didn't pay retail.

I have never heard any improvement or degradation when I've changed cables.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use brand name cables that some would call overpriced. However, I didn't pay retail.

I have never heard any improvement or degradation when I've changed cables.
Obviously your system is not resolving enough to hear the difference that the brand name cables make.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If there was any confusion, I was kidding :) Maybe we should make a list of all the stereotypical excuses we have heard from audiophiles when someone says cables do not make a difference.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
LHC may not be good listeners, but they are really into power cables:

1597453475127.png

But those are the old ones, already replaced with niobium-tin.

Top Bottom