• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems our host was adressed in the Apple new business case. Also Microsoft never launched a itunes alternative. Having that kind of money failure has minimal impact. Generate new markets needs innovation. Not realy the strength of Microsoft....
In his book Insanely Simple, Ken Segall makes the case for Apple's success being directly related to it's corporate culture.

As for innovation, that's common as rocks, and sometimes just as smart: Samsung is full of innovative products that most people will never remember. Many of Apple's biggest hits were not original ideas, but they were implemented in ways that made sense.

Last edited:

Kling75

Forum Donor
In his book Insanely Simple, Ken Segall makes the case for Apple's success being directly related to it's corporate culture.

As for innovation, that's common as rocks, and sometimes just as smart: Samsung is full of innovative products that most people will never remember. Many of Apple's biggest hits were not original ideas, but they were implemented in ways that made sense.

Hmm...first Smart Phone,Imac, Ipad, Unibody MacBook 2004, Itunes, Mac Mini, M1 Processor.Apple TV.

Innovation defines by its sucess on market and holding patents..

Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm...first Smart Phone
Handspring/Palm Treo preceded it by several years. Then there was Blackberry, even Window phones.
Imac, Ipad, Unibody MacBook 2004, Itunes, Mac Mini, M1 Processor.Apple TV.
iTunes was preceded by Napster, Morpheus et al.
Microsoft had been dabbling with tablet-like devices in the XP era, if not earlier.
The all-in-one PC idea is at least as old as the Kaypro.

Apple is good at taking existing ideas which haven't quite caught fire, and addressing the bit that's lacking. Or in the case of music downloads, making them legal.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If we go that way, I'm still amazed at the concept of stairs.
The earliest permanent cities are interesting in that they all had homes that were basically a big square room, with a hole in the ceiling. And these homes were all built together with each other so going on the roofs and walking around was how you got to different houses. The hole had two purposes. Firstly to let smoke out from your fire. Secondly a place to put a ladder for going and coming from the home.

At least in my mind, going from steep ladders to less steep ladders to stairs seems easy to conceive of happening.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The bearings supporting the wheel are major invention too.
Yes, but the transportation wheel is believed to have come from the potter's wheel which would have had bearings already. The axle however was an idea needed for two wheels or more. Also some think the first wheel other than a potter's wheel is when Greeks came up with wheelbarrows which of course only use one wheel.

Plan9

I know, Icepower..(nothing wrong with that)..tubes..(nothing horrible about that).....but like the minimalist approach..... I had a best selling piece in the MoMA NY catalog years ago so ID is an important consideration for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-08-20-18-09-59.png
    Screenshot_2021-08-20-18-09-59.png
    134 KB · Views: 88

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about the tire which goes onto the wheel?

earliest "tires" I know of were metal rims to preserve the wheels

NHTSA or somebody similar has a pdf publ online called The Pneumatic Tire - must have some history in it

my bet is on stairs evolving from getting used to natural blocky features in rocks, then moving rocks into place...

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
here is an early motor car with a metal rim, etc. but still relying on wood spokes -

wheel - wood spokes & metal rims.jpg

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In 1978 when the Porsche 928 made it's debut, I thought it looked like the most amazing motor vehicle I had ever seen:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a33260520/tested-1978-porsche-928/
To my eyes, it looked like a spaceship, and other cars looked quaint by comparison. But today, I suspect it would be a money-pit to keep in tip top condition, and the period from about 1973~83 was not a great one for USA-spec automobiles in general due to the state of emission controls of the era.

Kling75

Forum Donor
Handspring/Palm Treo preceded it by several years. Then there was Blackberry, even Window phones.

iTunes was preceded by Napster, Morpheus et al.
Microsoft had been dabbling with tablet-like devices in the XP era, if not earlier.
The all-in-one PC idea is at least as old as the Kaypro.

Apple is good at taking existing ideas which haven't quite caught fire, and addressing the bit that's lacking. Or in the case of music downloads, making them legal.

You are correct, but sucessfuly launching a new Product Category is another thing. I remember when HP / Blueberry launched their "palm pilots" etc. it was at most a status symbol. The it Support in the most companys were not ready to integrate these devices in the corp. Networks. Apple took this Market by storm. Still today the iPhone is the Device to go for lots of big corporations. It s closed Sotware Design is still prefered by many IT Departments.

XP Tablets where barely used, certainly not by consumers in numbers. Again, innovations without mass market breaktrough are for the books. Apple Tablets are the one to be rememberd.

Napstert was essentially a Platform where User shared their (mostly not lincensed) content. Other would call this piracy.....

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
here is an early motor car with a metal rim, etc. but still relying on wood spokes -
Yes, it was really bicycles which finally used the patented pneumatic rubber tire. Which lead to them being adapted into automobile use.

Here is an early tire with thread to make it work better in the rain. They didn't know what shape was best just that breaking up the surface helped. So they used the tire name NON SKID as the tread pattern. This also would fit with wooden spoked centers held on as a clincher type rim. Available in black as well as white from Firestone.

1629552089672.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In 1978 when the Porsche 928 made it's debut, I thought it looked like the most amazing motor vehicle I had ever seen:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a33260520/tested-1978-porsche-928/
To my eyes, it looked like a spaceship, and other cars looked quaint by comparison. But today, I suspect it would be a money-pit to keep in tip top condition, and the period from about 1973~83 was not a great one for USA-spec automobiles in general due to the state of emission controls of the era.
I wanted one of those when they came out. Couldn't afford it at the time. I did drive one later. It was very well balanced, and the suspension had loads of grip while also being very compliant and comfortable over rough patches. Not uncommon in well designed suspensions now, but quite rare in the early 1980's. I've never liked the rear engine Porsches. The 928 was supposed to be the Porshce path to a future away from the rear engine. Customers couldn't be persuaded however. I still like the car in general. I don't know how it is now, but at one time engine rebuilds of that engine were ridiculously expensive.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The main problem with modern suspension is the on-trend obsession with"sporty" handling for SUVs and family barges. To control that much weight with a high centre of gravity ends up needing very stiff suspension. Lightweight low slung sports cars often ride pretty well despite very tight body control.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanted one of those when they came out. Couldn't afford it at the time. I did drive one later. It was very well balanced, and the suspension had loads of grip while also being very compliant and comfortable over rough patches. Not uncommon in well designed suspensions now, but quite rare in the early 1980's. I've never liked the rear engine Porsches. The 928 was supposed to be the Porshce path to a future away from the rear engine. Customers couldn't be persuaded however. I still like the car in general. I don't know how it is now, but at one time engine rebuilds of that engine were ridiculously expensive.
Funny thing about money: When I had none, it was really easy for me to spend it, at least in my imagination.

Today when I hear tales of $10K Porsche Boxster engine replacements and the like, I wonder if there's simply something lacking with the engineering, because in my mind, automobiles being (mostly) driven within legal limits on public roads shouldn't be so highly stressed. Spending that kind of money on upkeep no longer seems like a badge of honor to me, so much as a bunch of really nice alternatives forgone.

Nevertheless, in 1978, the idea of owning a 928 made quite an impression on me!

Top Bottom