• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hasselblad, Leica M, Alfa boat-tailed Spyder, original Alfa GTV, Porsche Boxster

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
and ... Riva ;)

1629224832185.png

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks a lot for this information.

After working 15 years in Assistant Management Positions in Zurich / Zug / Geneva, I assure you wearing Rolex is by no means a career booster. This may work in middle managemant. In Top Positions in Banking and Wealth Management etc. the Brand is a no go. These Guys are no collectors what so ever, but like in American Psycho, the Business Cards, these guys like to show their JAEGER-LECOULTRE etc.

In this sphere they buy complete collections of rare Watches with their anual Bonus...it is disgusting to watch.
All nice things need to be bought by poseurs to fund their production, so that those few of us (well, as the joke goes, you and me, and I'm not sure about you) who bring the proper appreciation have the product available to us to admire.

I'm not sure if that's any less disgusting than buying something expensive just to show off wealth, but I'm no moralist on that topic. My justification doesn't extend beyond: I want it and I have the money. Usually, I will add a requirement that one's other financial obligations (including the obligation to be generous) have been handled.

But among the wealthy, a Rolex is probably still on the dresser, for working in the garden or riding their horses or for the weekends on the deck of the sailboat, when one would not want to risk a spill or a saltwater dunking of their Patek Philippe or A. Lange ut Soehne. That doesn't mean they would wear the Rolex to a board meeting, of course.

And, of course, this is all a fantasy-land of assumptions and stereotypes.

Rick "who now works for the gubmint and admittedly wouldn't wear a Rolex in many situations for a variety of reasons" Denney

Kling75

Forum Donor
All nice things need to be bought by poseurs to fund their production, so that those few of us (well, as the joke goes, you and me, and I'm not sure about you) who bring the proper appreciation have the product available to us to admire.

I'm not sure if that's any less disgusting than buying something expensive just to show off wealth, but I'm no moralist on that topic. My justification doesn't extend beyond: I want it and I have the money. Usually, I will add a requirement that one's other financial obligations (including the obligation to be generous) have been handled.

But among the wealthy, a Rolex is probably still on the dresser, for working in the garden or riding their horses or for the weekends on the deck of the sailboat, when one would not want to risk a spill or a saltwater dunking of their Patek Philippe or A. Lange ut Soehne. That doesn't mean they would wear the Rolex to a board meeting, of course.

And, of course, this is all a fantasy-land of assumptions and stereotypes.

Rick "who now works for the gubmint and admittedly wouldn't wear a Rolex in many situations for a variety of reasons" Denney

You got that right. There are a lot good jobs in the premium Watch industry. Living in switzerland i also benefit from the taxes of the wealthy / rich folks. The reason why i used the word disgusting is because i saw how this kind of guys got a branch of also wealthy Bankers who only work to avoid paying there fair cut / taxes. This is a worldwide Problem. The system is working for this kind of People. I dont envy rich folks, but we have to tax them already...

Wicky

Those where wonderful machines. They where kOOL to work on too. Very interesting mechatronics.
It was a nice, but short-lived idea.... a consumer-grade alternative to Sony's DAT but ultimately killed by MP3 and the Apple iPod

Kling75

Forum Donor
It was a nice, but short-lived idea.... a consumer-grade alternative to Sony's DAT but ultimately killed by MP3 and the Apple iPod

Sony was despred finding a successor to CD lincense. Apple turned the whole market around with iTunes.

Kling75

Forum Donor
It seems our host was adressed in the Apple new business case. Also Microsoft never launched a itunes alternative. Having that kind of money failure has minimal impact. Generate new markets needs innovation. Not realy the strength of Microsoft....

Wicky

It was a disruptive time, the transition to digital music, and we are still feeling the after effects now. Apples iPod was a game changer, first time I saw it I knew I was living in the future!

I think Napster and it's ilk gave Jobs the extra leverage he needed to bring the recording industry to the table

Kling75

Forum Donor
It was a disruptive time, the transition to digital music, and we are still feeling the after effects now. Apples iPod was a game changer, first time I saw it I knew I was living in the future!

I think Napster and it's ilk gave Jobs the extra leverage he needed to bring the recording industry to the table

That make sens, Apple was (and is) the first company who made money from streaming business solutions. Also Apple TV and Apple Music. Microsoft is no where...

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In no particular order:

E-type Jaguar
Citroen DS
JR Shinkansen Series O
DB Br103 locomotive
PRR T1 locomotive

Top Bottom