• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are we listening to right now..

bbfoto

Album Of The Evening - February 5, 2021:

naim True Stereo: Unprocessed Analog Recordings - [2004 naim Audio Compilation]

https://www.discogs.com/Various-True-Stereo-Unprocessed-Analog-Recordings/release/2163405

R-2163405-1267419853.jpeg.jpg

R-2163405-1267419858.jpeg.jpg

This compilation of mostly acoustic instruments and vocals in the jazz genre were recorded directly to an analog Nagra IV-S 2-track reel-to-reel tape recorder using a single Pair of legendary AKG 414EB Microphones in the "ORTF" configuration to capture a natural balance and "in the room" 3-Dimensional stereo image...

R-2163405-1267419932.png.jpg

R-2163405-1267419926.jpeg.jpg

The recordings here are "raw" with no post-processing applied, i.e. no EQ, Compression, Limiting, etc.

Unlike most "studio albums", the individual vocals and instruments were not recorded separately and then artificially "placed" in and across the imaginary soundstage using traditional multi-track & overdubbing mixing techniques such as L/R "panning", level adjustment, EQ, phase, or digital delay, etc.

There are absolutely no timing or phase anomalies when using just the 2 microphones to capture the entire "scene". This maintains the true and natural 3D holographic soundstage. Mixing multiple "close mics" as well as distant "room mics" on separately recorded instruments and vocals where each mic is in a different place in the room at different distances to each instrument and to each other, then mixed together can never recreate an authentic live "your are there" soundstage.

The single pair of "ORTF" configured microphones are designed to capture the natural placement and room reflections/reverb of the actual instruments and vocals in the room as they perform together, just as you would hear them in person with your own two ears in the room.

The Album Art Liner Notes illustrate a rough "Stage Map" of the placement of the instruments and vocals in the room for each track, and below is a list of the venues or rooms that these were recorded in...

Some of the standout tracks for me are, "Ted Sirota's Rebel Souls, Tubby" for the layering & placement of all of the instruments, as well as "Tom Gullion's, Blues Danzon", where the upright bass is also incredibly dynamic!

Then there is "Charlie Haden's, Chairman Mao" for the realism of the piano & upright bass in the room, and "Bonnie Koloc's, Keep It To Yourself " for the Vocals and instrument layering realism...they really are "in the room with you" when played back on a good system!

If you've ever been to a smaller club or venue with these types of performances, these recordings will really bring you back to those memories, as they are just so realistic.

Living in the Los Angeles area, now and especially back in the day, I was lucky enough to experience a lot of live performances in the multitude of small & medium live clubs, including The Catalina Club (no longer in existence) and The Baked Potato, etc., and some of these recordings really take me back to those live, non-amplified performances. :)

I encourage you to listen to these on your best headphones and/or 2-channel home audio system, in addition to your vehicle system in order to differentiate between the imaging placement, depth, focus, and the "sound of the room" that you are able to discern on each system. Email me if interested... bbfoto AT h o t m a i l DOT com

Last edited:

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Listening to Gary Moore who passed away 10 years ago today...

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
After listening to the recent Miley Cyrus cover of "Zombie" I couldn't resist listening to a live performance of the original I have liked for so long!

UCrazyKid

SEAL - SEAL 2

Top Bottom