• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are the thingamabobs called you can use on some speakers to adjust the gain of the high frequencies?

BrainBugs

So I have a pair of speakers that have the option to adjust the gain of high frequencies by one or two dB by putting the thingamabobs in a certain position (see image).
Does anyone know what these are called? I seem to have lost mine and would like to buy a pair, that is if they are sold seperately.
HuPbMn2XUe.png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Switches? ;-)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Often done with L-pads (fixed or variable)

circuit.gif

Sometimes with (single) switched, fixed resistances (e.g., the famous, and justly so, Dynaco A-25 -- one of the best-selling loudspeakers yet produced).

DynacoA25CrossoverAnnotated.JPG

(both borrowed images)

In terms of the OP's question -- I suspect the posts above have nailed it. :)

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I've never seen anything like that...

Did you just get one per speaker or did you get a selection?

It could be a resistor or maybe a shunt (just a wire or a short circuit).

Passive crossovers have capacitors, inductors, and sometimes resistors. That thing looks too small to contain an inductor or capacitor. If you put a resistor in parallel with an existing resistor the total resistance decreases, which would mean more signal to the tweeter.

Similarly, a shunt of short across a resistor makes the total resistance zero. This is my guess... A shunt... Basically just a piece of wire to bypass an internal resistor.

You're really in the dark having lost the originals but those look like banana jacks. The mating banana plugs usually have screw-connections so you can easily create a shunt with a short piece of wire.

You could also attach a resistor to the banana plug but we don't know the value. If it's a resistor it would probably be a few Ohms, and you'd probably want about a 2W resistor. Most of the power would go to the tweeter and any internal resistors so it shouldn't have to be high power, but you probably wouldn't a 1/4W resistor either.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

Passive crossovers have capacitors, inductors, and sometimes resistors. That thing looks too small to contain an inductor or capacitor. If you put a resistor in parallel with an existing resistor the total resistance decreases, which would mean more signal to the tweeter.

Similarly, a shunt of short across a resistor makes the total resistance zero. This is my guess... A shunt... Basically just a piece of wire to bypass an internal resistor.

You're really in the dark having lost the originals but those look like banana jacks. The mating banana plugs usually have screw-connections so you can easily create a shunt with a short piece of wire.

You could also attach a resistor to the banana plug but we don't know the value. If it's a resistor it would probably be a few Ohms, and you'd probably want about a 2W resistor. Most of the power would go to the tweeter and any internal resistors so it shouldn't have to be high power, but you probably wouldn't a 1/4W resistor either.
all good & interesting thoughts!
Perhaps it is in fact a shunt in the sense of a jumper -- i.e.,adding components to the default (unjumpered) XO and/or taking components out of the XO; like a jumper on a PC board or DIP switch (I am probably dating myself now).

:)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Perhaps it is in fact a shunt in the sense of a jumper -- i.e.,adding components to the default (unjumpered) XO and/or taking components out of the XO; like a jumper on a PC board or DIP switch (I am probably dating myself now).
I'm pretty sure you nailed it there, it's just a jumper. But possible it includes a resistor internally also.
@BrainBugs, a close up pic of the "thingamabob" might reveal it.
In any case if you really want a name for it I'd call it a "tone control" ;)

OP
BrainBugs

BrainBugs

I just got one per speaker. They do indeed look very much like banana plugs.
Found something on the internet where they are referred to as jumpers, so @mhardy6647 nailed it :),.
You can use them like this btw:
firefox_qyJZB4W1gi.png

I think I will email the manufacturer to ask if I can buy a pair of these cause they seem to be quite rare.
Thank you all for your input, much appreciated.
@Sal1950 : I can't find close up pics unfortunately.

Zek

Major Contributor
I think I will email the manufacturer to ask if I can buy a pair of these cause they seem to be quite rare.
You can make these jumpers yourself from a little good wire and a couple of banana connectors.

OP
BrainBugs

BrainBugs

You can make these jumpers yourself from a little good wire and a couple of banana connectors.
So some speaker wire and banana plugs? If the manufacturer won't sell them I wil try that, thnx :).

diablo

Forum Donor
My XTZ speakers have jumpers. They are just connections for the crossover board behind the faceplate. They are essentially linked banana plugs. Yours were probably similar - so wire and banana plugs would probably work fine.

XTZ Jumpers.jpg

OP
BrainBugs

BrainBugs

My XTZ speakers have jumpers. They are just connections for the crossover board behind the faceplate. They are essentially linked banana plugs. Yours were probably similar - so wire and banana plugs would probably work fine.

View attachment 220911
They look very similar to the ones I had. Thnx!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Update: Just got an email form the manufacturer (Phonar), they will be sending me a pair for free :). Kudos to Phonar!
Super! If the housing is translucent as it appeared in your first post, take a picture so we can see whats in it.
Just curious if it's simply a jumper or has a component embedded. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom