• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker dilemma

Sunsetter

We are remodeling most of our house, and I am really struggling to figure out stereo speaker placement in the master bedroom. The layout is in the attached picture. There will be a king size bed along the 13'6" wall (headboard against that wall). I was hoping to have two bookshelf speakers facing the bed, but there isn't a great location for them due to the location of the walk-in closet doors on the wall opposite the bed. Speakers cannot sit on the outside of the doors since it would block the entrance to the bathroom. I think my options are:

- Two bookshelf speakers on the edges of the 7' wall facing the bed, between the two closet doors. This feels like they would be somewhat too close together, while also being pretty far from the main listening position (sitting up in the bed). Likely candidates here are KEF LS-50 or R3, Revel M106 or M126be, or Focal Aria 906. Need to listen to them.

- Ceiling speakers. I could do two or four. There are various KEF or Revel options which seem like candidates.

- On-wall speakers in the corners? Eg, Revel S16?

I know none of this is optimal, but what is the least-bad option likely to be here? In either case, I can put a small subwoofer (SVS micro of KEF KC62) in the corner along the 18" wall near the windows. Amplifier will be Yamaha XDA-QS5400RK, which can handle 4 pairs of speakers total. I will be able to bridge two channels if necessary. I could actually do two pairs of speakers in this room, but I suppose that is probably causing more problems than fixing
bedroom.jpeg

Last edited:

MarkS

Major Contributor
- Two bookshelf speakers on the edges of the 7' wall facing the bed
That's what I would try first. You can also try corner placement. I wouldn't install anything in walls or ceilings without getting professional advice first.

OP
S

Sunsetter

Corner placement of bookshelf speakers isn't an option due to the bathroom door. I am actually leaning towards in-wall in the corners, perhaps Revel W893. I know in general speakers all the way in the corners is to be avoided, but here on one side I have an extra foot+ of clearance due to the window seat and have a door on the other side. Plus this Revel has a switch that reduces bass output due to boundary placement like this that I can at least experiment with, as well as aim-able tweeters. I think this plus an SVS 3000 micro sub in the corner near the window seat is probably the best I can do within these constraints.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
For a bedroom (presumably a secondary listening room) I'd consider in-wall or in-ceiling speakers, especially if you want surround sound. You could build a subwoofer into a closet.

I would even consider in-wall or in-ceiling surround speakers for my living room if I was remodeling.

Top Bottom