• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What about "Bluetooth emitters" ?

cecelo01

The R2, in addition to playing all files, also plays Tidal (MQA) and Qobuz.

Galke6

I've discovered this thread because I'm in a similar situation, I'm looking for a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver for desktop, yes because I want to pair my Qudelix 5k with it and make my headphones wireless
My PC>Bluetooth Transmitter>Qudelix 5k>Headphones/Speakers
I find dac/amps which have Bluetooth connection but only RECEIVE, so is there a good Bluetooth transmitter with a good price and performance? Especially with LDAC codec

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The FiiO BTA30 will transmit over Bluetooth using LDAC. Although I think there are some limitations on the inputs you can re-transmit over bluetooth.

*edit* Yeah, it won't retransmit USB input (which makes it a bit of a 'chocolate teapot' IMHO)... https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/454064.html

If you don't have SPDIF/Toslink output on your PC, and you're comfortable rooting around inside it, then it's pretty easy to add a SPDIF/Toslink output with an add-in card (you'll need the motherboard manual to locate the SPDIF header on it)...

Here's the one I used to solve a ground loop issue with TOSLINK (before I bought a balanced DAC)...

I should add that the SPDIF header on the motherboard is likely to only have 2 pins, you'll need to power the adapter (+5V pin) from another header on the motherboard (+5V on a spare USB header will do the trick).

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
I've discovered this thread because I'm in a similar situation, I'm looking for a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver for desktop, yes because I want to pair my Qudelix 5k with it and make my headphones wireless
My PC>Bluetooth Transmitter>Qudelix 5k>Headphones/Speakers
I find dac/amps which have Bluetooth connection but only RECEIVE, so is there a good Bluetooth transmitter with a good price and performance? Especially with LDAC codec
I tried a few of the budget usual suspects that you usually find in amazon a 1-2 years ago (mii eksa avantree...). Always bad results, sound drops... nothing worked as well as a regular smart phone in my experience. I think the spdif inputs where the problem. In any case, this made me decide to abandon Bluetooth for home use and go all in with wifi. My 2cents.

levimax

Major Contributor
I tried a few of the budget usual suspects that you usually find in amazon a 1-2 years ago (mii eksa avantree...). Always bad results, sound drops... nothing worked as well as a regular smart phone in my experience. I think the spdif inputs where the problem. In any case, this made me decide to abandon Bluetooth for home use and go all in with wifi. My 2cents.
I have had a similar experience with Bluetooth. How did you go about going with Wifi?

MCH

Major Contributor
I have had a similar experience with Bluetooth. How did you go about going with Wifi?
I stream the sources (currently only my turntable) with LMS to my other pi based streamers or phone.

keithm55

The FiiO BTA30 will transmit over Bluetooth using LDAC. Although I think there are some limitations on the inputs you can re-transmit over bluetooth.

*edit* Yeah, it won't retransmit USB input (which makes it a bit of a 'chocolate teapot' IMHO)... https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/454064.html

If you don't have SPDIF/Toslink output on your PC, and you're comfortable rooting around inside it, then it's pretty easy to add a SPDIF/Toslink output with an add-in card (you'll need the motherboard manual to locate the SPDIF header on it)...

Here's the one I used to solve a ground loop issue with TOSLINK (before I bought a balanced DAC)...

I should add that the SPDIF header on the motherboard is likely to only have 2 pins, you'll need to power the adapter (+5V pin) from another header on the motherboard (+5V on a spare USB header will do the trick).
The newer version, the BTA30 Pro supports LDAC transmission on transmit from USB & SPDIF. bta30pro
It has more flexibility on input selection than the BTA30 did.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Not sure this is right place to post this... If so, please feel free to move this post.

Here is what it is about.
I am connecting my headphones to my computer via Bluetooth.
To do that I use an ASUS BT-400 USB Dongle (this is a desktop and the motherboard is a workstation motherboard so has no integrated BT or Wi-Fi).

Visiting the Amazon website, I see a lot of products called "USB emitters" (here's an example : Bluettoth emitter).

My question is quite simple : I will drive an aptx-hd enabled Bluettoth headphone.
Will these thing show a benefit (metter signal, nojerky sound, no interference with other BT devices...) over the ASUS BT-400 ?
They're not super cheap but reamin mostly affordable (40 to 70 dollars)...
So I was wondering if they will do any good and if anyone has experience/recommandation...

Thanks a lot for your answers :)

Regards.

I'm not sure but perhaps this information will help: I use Blu Dento BLT HD at my stereo. 45 feet away, upstairs & through one interior wall, it manages to connect to my ASUS USB-BT500 USB Adapter on my desktop computer. This is an APT-X connection that allows me to send audio from my computer into my APT/Holman Pre-AMP. It works well (although it is on the edge of the reception range & I had to fiddle with the Blu Dento box & antenna some to get the reception with no drop outs.
I'm waiting to upgrade to LDAC.
May your setup be as fortuitous as mine that worked for me.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm waiting to upgrade to LDAC.

I would not assume that LDAC would work or sound any better at extreme range. It's certainly going to step the connection down to the lowest bitrate and may have difficulty maintaining the connection, regardless of the bitrate.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would not assume that LDAC would work or sound any better at extreme range. It's certainly going to step the connection down to the lowest bitrate and may have difficulty maintaining the connection, regardless of the bitrate.
That is why I am waiting. I haven't seen an implementation that will work for me (yet! [But I am hopeful])

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is why I am waiting. I haven't seen an implementation that will work for me (yet! [But I am hopeful])

You'll be waiting for the laws of physics to change. Bluetooth is designed and optimized for relatively short range, low power & bandwidth applications. A streamer with wi-fi support would be more appropriate for your use case.

Blorg

I'm using the new BTA30 Pro to stream LDAC from PC USB to Qudelix 5K, and it works generally well. Range is the same as with my phone, not any worse, not any better (or maybe very slightly). I get the impression this is mostly down to the receiving rather than the transmitting device- I get distinctly better range on the Qudelix than on the BTR5 and that seems broadly similar whether I'm using phone or BTR30 Pro as transmitter, the BTR5 breaks up in a similar way at similar distance, while the Qudelix doesn't.

Only issue I have is sometimes it can be a bit fiddly in reconnecting, if you use multiple devices. I guess this is going to be inherent with any device where it doesn't have a screen to select the BT device to reconnect. This is easy on a phone, just go in and pick the previously connected BT device

I have it working with BTR5 and Qudelix, one on A and one on B, and can switch between them, but there isn't any way to add a third device (like my Sony XM4 earbuds) without having to re-pair every time.

This is a good solution for LDAC and headphones I think. For a fixed setup particularly if the range is marginal I'd agree, better to consider Wi-Fi options.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You'll be waiting for the laws of physics to change. Bluetooth is designed and optimized for relatively short range, low power & bandwidth applications. A streamer with wi-fi support would be more appropriate for your use case.
I am waiting to finish renovating my other (new to us) house (only 1.3 miles from work) which will have the computer room next to the audio/video/living room. Since the rooms are smaller & only have 8 Ft. ceilings (as opposed to cathedral ceilings), everything is going to change, likely for the worse (except for the distance between the computer & the stereo), which will be less than 1/2 of what it is now. The renovation cannot be completed without my wife's input & she is currently overseas. Hopefully she will be back by the end of March. In the meantime I have taken down 4 major, dangerous trees (one was beating the house in high winds, a second one was almost at that point, 2 others had destroyed the driveway from opposite sides of the driveway, I installed a new 2 & 1/2 ton gas-pack heat/AC, all new duct work, registers & return & new gas lines. Next is all new electrical lines & outlets & then rip out the 2 bathrooms and level the 1968 home. When she gets back we'll tackle installing new bathrooms, new kitchen/dining room & then my parts of what I want for our house.
She has done the renovating of our 2 previous places. I am now realizing what she went through to get them to the point that I only had to hook up the washer & dryer & we were done.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am waiting to finish renovating my other (new to us) house (only 1.3 miles from work) which will have the computer room next to the audio/video/living room. Since the rooms are smaller & only have 8 Ft. ceilings (as opposed to cathedral ceilings), everything is going to change, likely for the worse (except for the distance between the computer & the stereo), which will be less than 1/2 of what it is now. The renovation cannot be completed without my wife's input & she is currently overseas. Hopefully she will be back by the end of March. In the meantime I have taken down 4 major, dangerous trees (one was beating the house in high winds, a second one was almost at that point, 2 others had destroyed the driveway from opposite sides of the driveway, I installed a new 2 & 1/2 ton gas-pack heat/AC, all new duct work, registers & return & new gas lines. Next is all new electrical lines & outlets & then rip out the 2 bathrooms and level the 1968 home. When she gets back we'll tackle installing new bathrooms, new kitchen/dining room & then my parts of what I want for our house. She has done the renovating of our 2 previous places. I am now realizing what she went through to get them to the point that I only had to hook up the washer & dryer & we were done.

That's a lot of work! This sounds like a great opportunity to flood wire the house with CAT6 Ethernet!

Reactions: EJ3

auxout

The FiiO Control app lets you choose (via) whether to optimize LDAC for audio quality or range and the antenna might indicate a good signal, so I guess it's worth a try.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The FiiO Control app lets you choose (via) whether to optimize LDAC for audio quality or range and the antenna might indicate a good signal, so I guess it's worth a try.

You can also change 'Bluetooth Audio LDAC codec: Playback Quality' in Android developer settings, but it still doesn't change the laws of Physics.

...and Welcome to ASR :)

auxout

I never claimed that, just thought that the FiiO might fit for @EJ3's usecase. I'm very happy with mine.

Blorg

I get 909kbps reliably from the BTA30 Pro to a Qudelix 5K (which reports the bitrate) if in the same room. It starts running into problems beyond "same room" though, that's the context it's really designed for. This isn't specific to the BTA30 Pro or Qudelix, it's pretty similar for any other BT devices I have too, they work great in the same room, to an extent some work in an immediately adjacent room, but beyond that starts to get problematic.

Top Bottom