• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What about "Bluetooth emitters" ?

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

Yes, to me the M0 is the "MUST HAVE"' audio swiss army knife.

Now that I could hear the BTA-30 coupled to the Little Bear, of course the M0 does not compete with that.
But it is a more than capable device given the size and price...

I like the "concept" so much that I plan to upgrade it by getting the Hidizs AP80Pro.
You said you have one. Any thoughts to share ?

Regards.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

I bought my red-color AP80 Pro directly from the Hidizs website along with a nice brown leather case, because they had the best price for the combo of DAP and leather case. When I received it and verified that it powered up and functioned as a DAP, without checking what the default equalizer setting is. My brief impressions of the Hidizs AP80 Pro are consistent with the experiences of members smasherat and Sak in the following thread:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hidizs-ap80-pro.12953/

I have not yet found any time to work with it further, so I cannot comment anything until I do find time. I kept an eye out for info on it since it was first released, and might have bought it on Amazon Prime Day, except that all listings for it (four colors) on Amazon disappeared on Prime Day, perhaps because it was rapidly sold out. Watching the following YT video recently triggered me to finally buy it because at 12:41 the reviewer seems to say that "it carries USB C signal from my smartphone even in LDAC", which sounds to me like possibly he meant that it could act as a USB DAC and transmit LDAC at the same time. (I may be misinterpreting what he said.) Also note that at 2:01 he calls the AP80 Pro a "Swiss tool".

Hi,

Yes, to me the M0 is the "MUST HAVE"' audio swiss army knife.

Now that I could hear the BTA-30 coupled to the Little Bear, of course the M0 does not compete with that.
But it is a more than capable device given the size and price...

I like the "concept" so much that I plan to upgrade it by getting the Hidizs AP80Pro.
You said you have one. Any thoughts to share ?

Regards.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I'm waiting for all the devices ordered to arrive : Aune x7s, Aune x5S and Auris Amplify (Black). Then I may give a thought to the AP80Pro.

Regards.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Got the Aune x5s 6th Bluetooth Edition.

If you look at this post, it seems that the x5s can be used either as Bluettoth emitter or as Bluetooth receiver.
So far, I have been able to use it as a Bluetooth TRANSMITTER (or EMITTER not sure which word to use).
But I have not been succesful at using it as a Bluetooth RECEIVER.

I cannot really tell about the transmitting quality as it came without the antenna... So I have to wait for the reseller to ship it.
I got some serious loud quirks when used without antenna...
But I'll have to investigate that...

Still if it can indeed be used as Bluetooth emitter and receiver, it would be really nice :)

I am waiting for the antenna AND for the reply from AUNE support to see how it can be used as a receiver.
And I will post here if it works.
It won't be able to transmit in LDAC, only aptx-HD.
But after listening to LDAC and patx-HD, I tend to prefer aptx-HD...

100rounddrum

Bluetooth = bluetooth, there’s no difference in the different transmission codecs or USB strength. That’s like saying DACs sound different from one another

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Bluetooth = bluetooth, there’s no difference in the different transmission codecs or USB strength. That’s like saying DACs sound different from one another

Hi,

Can you be more specific ?

As I understand what you wrote, that sound like :
- all devices should be able to work in Tx and in Rx mode ?
- all codecs will produce the same result, be that SBC, aptx-HD or LDAC ?
- all device have the same transmission range ?

Is that so ?

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

OK. After playing a little around with the Aune x5s 6th anniversary, I can report that it works :
- as a standalone file player from USB and SD card ;
- as a Bluetooth transmitter so you can play your files from your USB drive or SD card to Bluetooth headphones or Bluetooth amplifier ;
- as a Bluetooth receiver so you can stream music from your phone and play back over the x5s 6th (of course to wired headphones).

So this little thing is a really nice device to get :)

But : no LDAC (only aptx-HD). But maybe that is with no influence on sound ?

Regards.

FRED

100rounddrum

Hi,

Can you be more specific ?

As I understand what you wrote, that sound like :
- all devices should be able to work in Tx and in Rx mode ?
- all codecs will produce the same result, be that SBC, aptx-HD or LDAC ?
- all device have the same transmission range ?

Is that so ?
Only the transmission range varies. All else is the same.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

So use of SBC, aptx-HD or LDAC doesn't matter ?

Are you sure about that ? Have those been measured and proven to be the same ?

Regards.

wasnotwasnotwas

Again, what? No.

Now, are you suggesting there is no audible difference between music transmitted over the different codecs? That might be worthy of further testing. But the codecs are very, very different technologies.

Higher bit rates in LDAC than APTX than SBC. So unless you're saying those differences are in practice inaudible, then just plain wrong.

Last edited:
OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Of course I have no instrument to measure if the output of 2 codecs is the same or not.
So I have to trust my ears... which are the most untrustworthy tool on earth.
My ears do not tell me that there is no difference...

But I'd like this to be confirmed by someone who has measurement tools... and I have no idea what should be measured there.

100rounddrum

Again, what? No.

Now, are you suggesting there is no audible difference between music transmitted over the different codecs? That might be worthy of further testing. But the codecs are very, very different technologies.

Higher bit rates in LDAC than APTX than SBC. So unless you're saying those differences are in practice inaudible, then just plain wrong.
It’s just snake oil. It’s inaudible anyway, even if there are measured differences, they would be well below audible

OP
P

PenguinMusic

It’s just snake oil. It’s inaudible anyway, even if there are measured differences, they would be well below audible

Hi,

Well, if you say so, so it must be.

As stated before, my ears tell me differently.
I am ready to admit that this is purely biased/not level matched test/psychoaccoustics...

But please show me the measurements that shows that measures are beyond any audible threshold.
Because unless I have those I will continue to trus my ears.

Regards.

wasnotwasnotwas

Hi,

Well, if you say so, so it must be.

As stated before, my ears tell me differently.
I am ready to admit that this is purely biased/not level matched test/psychoaccoustics...

But please show me the measurements that shows that measures are beyond any audible threshold.
Because unless I have those I will continue to trus my ears.

Regards.
Well, as we know, ears are untrustworthy. But should somebody be so inclined, it's eminently testable. Personally, I don't really care and higher bitrate codecs are commonplace. But I can't agree with blanket assertions from @100rounddrum with no indication what evidence there is to support the claim.

I suspect the reality is, the lowest bitrate codecs are discernible from highest but lots of inaudible differences in the levels in between. Like varying rates of mp3/lossless /hi res files. Which is not to say "they are all the same".

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Well, as we know, ears are untrustworthy. But should somebody be so inclined, it's eminently testable. Personally, I don't really care and higher bitrate codecs are commonplace. But I can't agree with blanket assertions from @100rounddrum with no indication what evidence there is to support the claim.

I suspect the reality is, the lowest bitrate codecs are discernible from highest but lots of inaudible differences in the levels in between. Like varying rates of mp3/lossless /hi res files. Which is not to say "they are all the same".

Hi,

I fully agree : ears are untrustworthy. I even wrote that before...
But it is the only tool I have at my disposal.
So I'll trust them for the time being.

I have had this talk in other threads on this forum.
And I was shown my ears probably fooled me with measured evidence.
So, as you, I would like to be shown measured evidence that there is no audible difference between various Bluetooth codecs.

Regards.

Last edited:

wasnotwasnotwas

Hi,

I fully agree : ears are untrustworthy. I even wrote that before...
But it is the only tool I have at my disposal.
So I'll trust them for the time being.

I have had this talk in other threads on this forum.

Who are you talking to? You seem to be conflating my statements with @100rounddrum without referencing him in your reply.

wasnotwasnotwas

As a starting point this could be read https://www.sereneaudio.com/blog/how-good-is-bluetooth-audio-at-its-best

Some comments in this thread https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-bluetooth-sound-quality.12729/

I have yet to find something resembling controlled tests to see if people can differentiate different bitrate codecs. But I am sure @100rounddrum has some links that show it is impossible to distinguish all bluetooth formats.

For me , you would be silly in this day and age to not opt for kit that isnt at least APT X HD or LDAC compatible regardless. All Android for the past few generations have been LDAC compatible.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Who are you talking to? You seem to be conflating my statements with @100rounddrum without referencing him in your reply.

Hi,

Yes, I made some confusion...
Hence the numerous editing of my message.

Still awaiting for the measured proof of 100roundrum claims. Because I am like you.
I think there is a difference between 2 codecs.
But I'll admit it's just in my head if I'm given the measured proof.

Until then , I will keep believing my ears.

And it looks like there is at least measurable difference if I look at your links.

Regards.

Top Bottom