• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What’s the perfect size for a hi-fi room?

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My listening seat and loudspeaker distancing will likely be in a 11’ equilateral triangle configuration. 2.5’ of space directly in front of the front wall willl be dedicated to acoustic treatments - a 14“ layer of diaphragmatic bass absorbers, and a 18” layer of P-23 Quadratic Diffusors. The loudspeakers be placed 8’ away from the face of the 2-layered front wall treatments, and toed-in slightly to the listening seat. Given the room dimensions, each loudspeaker will effectively be 6.5’ away from the side walls. Effectively, there will be NO back wall, as it will be 30’ behind the listening seat, with the empty cavity filled with miscellaneous furniture, cabinets, appliances, desks, etc. And the ceiling, being 16’ high, probably will only need a bit of mid/high frequency absorption treatment.

Are my acoustical treatment priorities appropriate? Any additional advice will be much appreciated !
You have a great location for your music system, with potential for excellence. If I may suggest a few point.

11’ equilateral is too much, try between 7 and 9 instead. Speakers about 7 feet from the front wall.

dmin (feet) = 1.4(1125) / 4f-3dB

or

dmin (meters) = 1.4(343) / 4f-3dB

Where f-3dB is your loudspeaker’s low cut-off frequency. For example, if your speakers have a -3 dB low cut-off at 55 Hz, dmin = 2.18 meters (7′-3″).

Leave at least 3’ behind your seat, more is better. Heavy carpet on the ground will help.
No furnitures behind the speakers and neither between you and the speakers. Furniture behind you is a great idea.
My suggestion is how I roll, and I have a great stereo imaging and no reverberation or room issues in (roughly, as it is not rectangular) 18’ wide, 31’ long, 8' hight room.

Last edited:

sdiver68

Please avoid the "we" and the affirmation without concrete data.

We doesn't have to include you. If you don't understand that, we are not the problem.

Picking on pronouns only distracts from the topic and suppresses expression of perspective.

Top Bottom