• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welcome New Members to ASR, introduce yourself here.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Hello everybody, Artur here from Paris, audio enthusiast (I’m into mixing, audio editing, audiophile things etc) and a nice guy all around (ha!). I joined your community because I feel I can find a lot of precious informations regarding headphones :) see you soon then! Artur
bienvn-5.gif

JSmith

hussien-11

Hello all, I'm Hussein.

I like technology and I enjoy listening to music from time to time. Thanks to this website, I came to understand the world of headphones/DACs/Amps better. I'm also supportive for such a transparent approach to test products based on scientific methods that are as accurate as possible. I think this website corrected many myths about audio, saving people's money in the process, too.

I don't mind some colors to my world, though :)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello all, I'm Hussein.

I like technology and I enjoy listening to music from time to time. Thanks to this website, I came to understand the world of headphones/DACs/Amps better. I'm also supportive for such a transparent approach to test products based on scientific methods that are as accurate as possible. I think this website corrected many myths about audio, saving people's money in the process, too.

I don't mind some colors to my world, though :)
Welcome to the forum Hussein.

Colours are good. The world would be drab and boring in black and white.

alpha67

Hello good people of ASR, I don't think I ever introduced myself either. I am 56-year-old originally from former Yugoslavia and today residing in Vancouver, Canada. Long time viewer and lurker of this forum, back in 2020, I finally joined up!

It was my uncle that introduced me to the world of music starting with this piece:

Tosca-5.png

RIZ Tosca 5 – circa 1980. It was at his place, I was introduced to records of Sinatra, Beatles, and later on Pink Floyd, Black Sabath, Uriah Heep the rest is the history. Gramophone... it was not just a device for listening to music (in addition to expensive and unavailable tape recorders and before the mass appearance of cassette recorders), it was an institution.We called them the miracle of the 80’s…RIZ TOSCA 5 - 10 and 20........stereo. Of course, world brands were unavailable to us, but over time, Dual, Uher, Marantz, Kenwood, Hitachi and others began to appear, and that's how we entered the world of Hi-Fi through a diamond needle.

Having a good record player spoke about a person and was just as important as today having a car at a young age. Everything was a ritual...removing the record from the cover, cleaning it from dust, removing static electricity, until the moment of lowering the needle into the groove of the vinyl (not by hand, by lifting the handle). If and when a record starts to skip, it was tantamount to disaster...!

Move over to the modern day and we have so much choice to put together excellent sounding systems and enjoy music in so many ways. ASR has played a good part in the choices of gear I made the last few years. I've added: Roon, Tidal, Qobuz, RME ADI-2 DAC, Focal SHAPE-50 monitors, KEF LS-50W system, Sennheiser HD600 and Focal Elegia headphones, to name a few. All this I enjoy immensely and I thank our host of this site as well as all the members who contribute all the useful advice, content and reviews.

My next step is to move back to Europe. I will probably have some questions about the new system I am planning to put together, once settled there of course. Preliminary candidates in the pool are: Genelec’s, EVE Audio, Neumann, NAD, Hypex nCoreX, DALI, KEF’s, so it will be fun to make a next step once the budget and new room/place is known.

In the meantime, may it be marvelous and rock on!

eric tee

Hello, fellow friends of (good and affordable) audio.

I`m a male, in decent age of 60`s. From my first ever salary, bought stereos. What else. Pretty much countless amount of conserts and live music, have been in my life from early teenage.
Not so much of a equipment oriented, I suppose. Music first.

Nowdays, I have used active speakers systems. Very satisfying, that has been. Simple and cost effective.

Hail to the Music!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Alpha and Eric.

Nice to see you here.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi. Im Jesus From Spain, been reading a lot here for years, and decided that time as come to improve my humble setup. As I have some questions registration in the forum was mandatory . cheers to all.
Watcha**

**Greeting from parts of southern England,***

*** Not where I am from ****

****But where I lived for a couple of years many years before.

:D

Pareto Pragmatic

I'm Jeff, and you can likely figure out my approach to audio, and all things, from my user name.

I've used ASR for measurements, and occasionally to read a technical and math heavy post on some aspect of audio. Just for fun, not to apply to my systems. I thought about joining, so I read some "less than 100% audio" content, and found a good group to exist here.

I am neither an objectivist nor a subjectivist, I fall into the intersubjectivist camp. Science is, itself, intersubjective.

In three years of high school physics, we had an acoustics section each year, mostly increasingly complicated speaker placement calculations. My teacher was a "turntable on concrete pillar in the basement/McIntosh/La Scala guy. Heard that thing on a "field trip" and my mind was blown immediately, followed by "I'm never spending that". So I bottom feed on equipment, mostly free/garage sale/thrift shop/used. And am quite happy with my music playback at home, office and the car.

I sometimes EQ, sometimes I don't. I like to move between "different" sounds, that way I am not as temped to chase the "perfect" sound. Not perfect in the sense of accurate/flat, or perfect in any sense of "this is what I value and want to maximize it." Say, holographic sound stage as an example. I tend to listen to one set up per day though, pick my sound, that's the sound of the day.

If I have anything to add in terms of audio discussion here, from my very much not expert point of view, I can see two things. First, I have some experience getting things to sound good in oddly shaped spaces using non-conventional set ups. Second, I have a lot of experience explaining complicated things to people just starting out, so helping to clarify. Hopefully I can give back something for what I have gotten here.

Beyond that, bicycles, food and wine, cats, science fiction, I know some things. And anything that might relate to social science research (findings or methodology or statistical models), I can find something relevant in the literature if I don't know of something already.

Dicky

Hello to all.
My name is Richard and I have just signed up and made my first post.
I have been into hifi equipment since my teenage years never had any expesive gear maybe one day
Other than the actual music I find reaseching and experimenting are a great fun part of the hobby.
I hope to be able to add to the forum if only in a little way as I a afraid you guys have an excellent knowledge of hifi and have an excellent community.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome Dicky.

As another "cost efficient" audio obsessed, hopefully we can show you that you don't need any expensive gear - even one day - to get excellent sound rivalling the most expensive systems out there.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I'm Jeff, and you can likely figure out my approach to audio, and all things, from my user name.

I've used ASR for measurements, and occasionally to read a technical and math heavy post on some aspect of audio. Just for fun, not to apply to my systems. I thought about joining, so I read some "less than 100% audio" content, and found a good group to exist here.

I am neither an objectivist nor a subjectivist, I fall into the intersubjectivist camp. Science is, itself, intersubjective.

In three years of high school physics, we had an acoustics section each year, mostly increasingly complicated speaker placement calculations. My teacher was a "turntable on concrete pillar in the basement/McIntosh/La Scala guy. Heard that thing on a "field trip" and my mind was blown immediately, followed by "I'm never spending that". So I bottom feed on equipment, mostly free/garage sale/thrift shop/used. And am quite happy with my music playback at home, office and the car.

I sometimes EQ, sometimes I don't. I like to move between "different" sounds, that way I am not as temped to chase the "perfect" sound. Not perfect in the sense of accurate/flat, or perfect in any sense of "this is what I value and want to maximize it." Say, holographic sound stage as an example. I tend to listen to one set up per day though, pick my sound, that's the sound of the day.

If I have anything to add in terms of audio discussion here, from my very much not expert point of view, I can see two things. First, I have some experience getting things to sound good in oddly shaped spaces using non-conventional set ups. Second, I have a lot of experience explaining complicated things to people just starting out, so helping to clarify. Hopefully I can give back something for what I have gotten here.

Beyond that, bicycles, food and wine, cats, science fiction, I know some things. And anything that might relate to social science research (findings or methodology or statistical models), I can find something relevant in the literature if I don't know of something already.
Welcome to ASR Jeff.

Eclipsch

Hello everyone. I'm Charlie, and live just outside Nashville TN USA. My ears are old, so I'm not an audiophile, lol. So far, I've enjoyed rehabbing some old Klipsch speakers and I've built a couple of Bill Fitzmaurice subwoofers. Starting on Amirm's Room Measurement Tutorials for Dummies now.

Last edited:

JimBean

My name is Jim, and it's been only about a year since I ended up going down the terrible rabbit hole of separates for my stereo equipment. I'm pretty frugal, aka not wealthy, so I only buy used. Finally happy with my current setup, for now. (Until the credit cards are payed off, in other words)
Big fan of all types of music, save classical and jazz. Which I can enjoy, but not really my go-to jams. Also not a believer in any of the esoteric audiophile bs claims I see and read on other audio forums/sited. Amazing what a racket some of this stuff is. Been using this forum to compare dacs and other audio gear, so I figured I may as well join.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My name is Jim, and it's been only about a year since I ended up going down the terrible rabbit hole of separates for my stereo equipment. I'm pretty frugal, aka not wealthy, so I only buy used. Finally happy with my current setup, for now. (Until the credit cards are payed off, in other words)
Big fan of all types of music, save classical and jazz. Which I can enjoy, but not really my go-to jams. Also not a believer in any of the esoteric audiophile bs claims I see and read on other audio forums/sited. Amazing what a racket some of this stuff is. Been using this forum to compare dacs and other audio gear, so I figured I may as well join.
Welcome to ASR @JimBean. Did you come to a realization that gear does not need to be as expensive as some is?

Top Bottom