• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Warning: suspected scam on this forum

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A forum I used to be an admin for had doppelganger detection. I am sure this forum has it, given that there were a few cases of banned members re-registering and showing up as a different alias. They were spotted pretty quickly. You do have this feature, yes?
MAC address would be good. For the worst of the script kiddies that are untrained.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
MAC address would be good. For the worst of the script kiddies that are untrained.

As an experiment I tried to fool the doppelganger detector. I used a different computer, used a VPN, and re-registered with a different name. The doppelganger detector still detected me. I had no idea how it did that.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As an experiment I tried to fool the doppelganger detector. I used a different computer, used a VPN, and re-registered with a different name. The doppelganger detector still detected me. I had no idea how it did that.
Something to do w/the ISP perhaps? TCIP denotes limited info. Where could they get it from?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What idiot scammer uses the same username at more than one place :facepalm:
Sometimes it works though, if for example you Google the user name and see him other places.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes it works though, if for example you Google the user name and see him other places.
Or get results like, "Aloysius from Newfoundland is lost and out of gasoline and needs some contributions at the London Drugs shopper mart on 17th St ASAP! Please contribute ASAP people...

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
We can not confirm or deny if we have such a feature in a public thread. Amir will have us erased if we do. :oops:

Keith_W

Major Contributor
We can not confirm or deny if we have such a feature in a public thread. Amir will have us erased if we do. :oops:

Well, it's a simple flick of a switch :cool: Having said that I am not familiar with this forum software, so I don't know for sure if it has it or not. Most forum admins I know have doppelganger detection turned on. But yeah, I get that you don't want to divulge!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, it's a simple flick of a switch :cool: Having said that I am not familiar with this forum software, so I don't know for sure if it has it or not. Most forum admins I know have doppelganger detection turned on. But yeah, I get that you don't want to divulge!
Keep on KEEPin ON regarding the pass-worded monthly entry security stuff. Not even allowed to speak about it... FFS! LoL... :D It's hush puppy stuFF!

JSmith

Master Contributor
Quite a few ways actually... stored session cookies, tracking cookies, browser fingerprinting, leaking vpn etc.

JSmith

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Quite a few ways actually... stored session cookies, tracking cookies, browser fingerprinting, leaking vpn etc.

JSmith
Does it come down to TCIP and the header and footer and spoofing or not?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used a different computer, used a VPN, and re-registered with a different name. The doppelganger detector still detected me. I had no idea how it did that.
Had you ever logged in from the other computer? I'm not really savvy enough about IT to say much here...

However, any online transaction where they ask you to send money to any third party is almost definitely a scam.

Whenever I suspect a scam, I just reply "F*** OFF, SCAMMER!" and so far nobody has claimed I had a false positive...

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope this warning is helpful to other members.

I recently posted a request here for a particular amplifier I wanted to buy. A new member “bradonryan” gave me the email address for a “Christopher Scott” who had one to sell. He had photos of the item and appeared to know what he was selling. I transferred the agreed price to his “son” through PayPal.

After that, neither “bradonryan” “Christopher Scott”, nor his “son” have responded to my emails.

Luckily it was quite a small amount, PayPal has supported me and it looks like I will be refunded, but I would be suspicious of new members with items to sell.
I have had someone attempt this several times over the years. Always on an item I was looking to purchase. Same thing… gave me an email address of a friend that had one for sale. There seems to be several variations on this particular scam.

jerryfreak

ive gotten the exact same scam on reverb, as a seller. somebody whose "son" wanted to buy. got hammered with multiple ones frpm different sources that were literal copypastes

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Funny also, Karen Micheal seems to be quite a common name used for other scams:
I was watching one of those scam warning videos and they said common names for scammers is two first names! I guess it is easier for them to learn this than last names.

Top Bottom