• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WARNING: Many people selling their faulty Topping L30 amplifiers in eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tks

Major Contributor
You are using the word "representative" in a very particular context. But John is the face of Topping in the forum, regardless of what post he holds in the company. I am sure he has the implicit benediction of his superiors to do so, or otherwise he wouldn't be doing it.

As far as what Topping said, I am moderately satisfied with John's intention to look into the issue of faulty units being sold by customers who received replacement units.

Okay, so we're on the same page now. Perhaps it resonates with you more, the sort of declarations you're seeking from Topping, can't be extended through John.

Oh and that last bit, where you say "As far as what Topping said". Are you saying Topping told you this when you contacted them (that they're happy with John handling thing on this end?) Or you're simply saying, you haven't contacted Topping, and that in virtue of John's approach outside of the confines of what his occupation entails (as a designer, none of what he's doing is entailed as assumed by you prior, and maybe even up to now?) - you're satisfied with what he's said the company has itself done and what he's done up until now?

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, a picture is very easy to counterfeit nowadays. As a matter of fact, I have several pictures in Imgur of myself making out with Cristina Hendricks. What would be much more useful would be a video with the serial number clearly visible before and after the smashing. That might not be as good as having people ship the units to an e-waste facility prior to getting the new unit, but much better than sitting on your hands.

Haven't you ever seen deep fake videos? And some people could also switch the electronics from one chassis to another and sell the old amp in the new chassis.

The point is that good photographic evidence is sufficient to stop the vast majority of people who might be tempted to fake the destruction and sell the bad unit. Otherwise, the only foolproof method is to do an exchange.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

Okay, so we're on the same page now. Perhaps it resonates with you more, the sort of declarations you're seeking from Topping, can't be extended through John.

Oh and that last bit, where you say "As far as what Topping said". Are you saying Topping told you this when you contacted them (that they're happy with John handling thing on this end?) Or you're simply saying, you haven't contacted Topping, and that in virtue of John's approach outside of the confines of what his occupation entails (as a designer, none of what he's doing is entailed as assumed by you prior, and maybe even up to now?) - you're satisfied with what he's said the company has itself done and what he's done up until now?
No, I don't think you are getting what I was trying to say, and I don't think we are on the same page at all. I can't get John to say anything he doesn't want to, he is an adult. It is also not my responsibility to be aware of the corporate structure of Topping.

John responded to the thread, and we were just having a constructive conversation. The fact Topping is going to look into the issue of defective L30 units being sold in eBay (based on what John, as the "representative" of Topping in the forum told me) speaks volumes about Topping, and restores some of my faith in Topping as a company, so kudos to John and Topping for that.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

Haven't you ever seen deep fake videos? And some people could also switch the electronics from one chassis to another and sell the old amp in the new chassis.

The point is that good photographic evidence is sufficient to stop the vast majority of people who might be tempted to fake the destruction and sell the bad unit. Otherwise, the only foolproof method is to do an exchange.
True, that is why the only surefire way of doing this is actually having the defective units ship out to Topping or to a third party. Then again, a video would be an incremental step from a picture. It would make things even less convenient for scammers to do this.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

You should make a complaint with Ebay
I am, but as I said earlier (and John Yang agrees) I am not a stakeholder, whereas Topping is, and that is why they are going to look into some sort of solution for this. It should take around 20 minutes daily for them to handle this. That is a huge return on a moderately modest investment.

By the way, I already got one of the sellers to remove an auction.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a nice example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303883848889

I just got one of the sellers to cancel his auction. He told me he sold 8 deffective L30 units through Facebook and had 2 left that he was posting in eBay. Wow. He claimed he had no idea about the issue, though. Who has 10 L30 units sitting in their basement and is unaware of the issue? Called me impressed.
How did you know these were defective, confident enough to go after the seller. Where they coming from that sellers have scores of these sealed in the packaging? I thought you were talking about a few joe schmo end users being sleazy.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

How did you know these were defective, confident enough to go after the seller. Where they coming from that sellers have scores of these sealed in the packaging? I thought you were talking about a few joe schmo end users being sleazy.
I didn't know they were defective until I asked for the serial numbers. This guy told me that he sold 8 units in Facebook and had 2 left that he was trying to sell in eBay, and he said he was shocked about this issue. I advised him to contact his buyers to let them know, but who knows if he will do that.

Also, you raise a good point about that seller. Does the serial number appear in the outside of the packaging? I would imagine so, but I don't know.

BTW, that is not the same auction link I posted. I don't want to identify that user specifically for obvious reasons (he already removed the auction).

noobie1

I am, but as I said earlier (and John Yang agrees) I am not a stakeholder, whereas Topping is, and that is why they are going to look into some sort of solution for this. It should take around 20 minutes daily for them to handle this. That is a huge return on a moderately modest investment.

By the way, I already got one of the sellers to remove an auction.

eBay is a stakeholder here as well and they have the power to take immediate action. You should contact eBay directly.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

eBay is a stakeholder here as well and they have the power to take immediate action. You should contact eBay directly.
In my experience it is very hard for eBay to take down auctions, so I think that if Topping takes matters into their own hands they will be far more successful (since they are themselves stakeholders and they manufactured the units themselves). That being said, I might bring myself to suffer through 1 hour of stimulating conversation with the fellows in Bangalore that run eBay's support center tomorrow morning.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
In my experience it is very hard for eBay to take down auctions, so I think that if Topping takes matters into their own hands they will be far more successful (since they are themselves stakeholders and they manufactured the units themselves). That being said, I might bring myself to suffer through 1 hour of stimulating conversation with the fellows in Bangalore that run eBay's support center tomorrow morning.
Amazon and Aliexpress are much easier. Ebay is difficult. All we can do is to report. Seems someones are doing this intentionally.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

Amazon and Aliexpress are much easier. Ebay is difficult. All we can do is to report. Seems someones are doing this intentionally.
Even if they are doing it unintentionally, they can't sell those units, as it goes against eBay's terms. That's why I told you that if you guys take this matter into your own hands and talk to eBay you will be very successful. I agree that it is difficult to take auctions down, but if you guys (the manufacturer) contact eBay and explain things, you will be successful (either that, or eBay is run by a bunch of idiots).

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Even if they are doing it unintentionally, they can't sell those units, as it goes against eBay's terms. That's why I told you that if you guys take this matter into your own hands and talk to eBay you will be very successful. I agree that it is difficult to take auctions down, but if you guys (the manufacturer) contact eBay and explain things, you will be successful (either that, or eBay is run by a bunch of idiots).
Doing it.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

Doing it.
I can post the links to auctions I have verified to be for L30 units with serial numbers below 2012. Hopefully this will give you a nice headstart. Does the OP work for you?

I'm really glad you understand how people doing this is detrimental to Topping, and not just to the potential buyers.

Tks

Major Contributor
No, I don't think you are getting what I was trying to say, and I don't think we are on the same page at all. I can't get John to say anything he doesn't want to, he is an adult. It is also not my responsibility to be aware of the corporate structure of Topping.

John responded to the thread, and we were just having a constructive conversation. The fact Topping is going to look into the issue of defective L30 units being sold in eBay (based on what John, as the "representative" of Topping in the forum told me) speaks volumes about Topping, and restores some of my faith in Topping as a company, so kudos to John and Topping for that.

You're missing what I was saying. I wasn't talking about you forcing John to say something, I was talking about the notion of what you would constitute as a reasonable expectation, in fact, isn't reasonable due to precedent you've not been able to establish with any corollary case of merit worthy similarity.

Also, I was asking, seeing as how you understand John isn't the representative you take him to be, as has been established. Do you now find it prudent to do what you should have done, and inquire about this information from the relevant channels? (e.g. contacting Topping yourself for comment on what you perceive to be an issue on the handling of the situation you're displeased with). And not the avenue of coming on a third part forum for said information and stance on the issue you would want to raise.

The reason I ask is because it seems you're waffling about left and right on the matter. I still haven't seen the compelling argument to be made that Topping ought do anything resembling what you're asking for. And the statement I'm specifically referencing is the following:

"Also, I think you could in some way hold the people who are doing this (selling faulty units after receiving a replacement unit) responsible in some way. Though I imagine this might be a complicated subject. "

Which is fine, but what you suggest as a solution is what? The best I could reasonably see, is sending a warning on social media (or their website better yet) for anyone buying 2012 serialized units, should know those units are in question and shouldn't be bought with an expectation of receiving replacement units if they go belly-up, seeing as how the chain of responsibility is too far removed. Otherwise people can start a scam of 'buying and selling defective units, all asking Topping to send them a new working unit' because they've been sold a faulty SKU they had no idea. Buying used from others doesn't impart a responsibility from the parent company to start offering warranty to ever person such sale was made to.

Unless again, as I mentioned, you have precedent for such company decisions in other instances I am not aware of..

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

You're missing what I was saying. I wasn't talking about you forcing John to say something, I was talking about the notion of what you would constitute as a reasonable expectation, in fact, isn't reasonable due to precedent you've not been able to establish with any corollary case of merit worthy similarity.
That sentence blew my mind, especially because I work with corollaries day in and day out, yet I don't understand what it means.

There is no expectation on my part, I simply brought this issue to the attention of the forum, and John chimed in, and I really think that the balance of the thread is very positive, as John agrees that it would be in Topping's best interest to step in and contact eBay about this problem. In fact I think this thread is very helpful, and that by me bringing this serious issue up, it will allow Topping to do what they consider necessary. Similarly, it seems that it might help some unsuspecting buyers who read this thread to be aware of the problem and not buy L30 units from eBay before first verifying that they are units that had the fixes Topping implemented.

To be honest, the only people who should be upset about this thread are the scoundrels offloading defective L30 units in eBay. It doesn't seem right, for example, for a guy to sell his new and defective unit in eBay for $175 for a profit, while in the process putting somebody's equipment or personal safety in danger.

Also, I was asking, seeing as how you understand John isn't the representative you take him to be, as has been established. Do you now find it prudent to do what you should have done, and inquire about this information from the relevant channels? (e.g. contacting Topping yourself for comment on what you perceive to be an issue on the handling of the situation you're displeased with). And not the avenue of coming on a third part forum for said information and stance on the issue you would want to raise.
No, not really. This should be public knowledge, and I am sure Topping agrees that transparency in the long run is the best policy for any company, so I am sure they are happy I brought it up. If you were Topping, would it please you to see users selling defective units to other people? Units Topping clearly instructed them to destroy? That is not good for Topping.

About the matter of John being a representative of Topping, this is just pointless. He is representing Topping in this forum, and I am sure Topping are aware of that, regardless of what his actual placement in Topping's corporate structure is.

The reason I ask is because it seems you're waffling about left and right on the matter. I still haven't seen the compelling argument to be made that Topping ought do anything resembling what you're asking for. And the statement I'm specifically referencing is the following:

"Also, I think you could in some way hold the people who are doing this (selling faulty units after receiving a replacement unit) responsible in some way. Though I imagine this might be a complicated subject. "
No waffling on my part. This problem is complicated, I know. But taking care of the eBay auctions is an important part of it, and John has agreed with me on that.

The other solution (requiring users to return their defective units before getting a replacement) seems to be prohibitive for Topping from a cost standpoint, so they are making the choice not to pursue that avenue. Logically, that solution would be expensive in the short term, but as I said it would be the best approach in the long run. Plus there are alternate implementations of this solution, such as shipping to some party in the US which can verify disposal. But I am not going to argue for that anymore, I said what I thought, and I am pleased that Topping is at least going to handle the issue regarding eBay.

I just looked again, and there are more like 15 to 20 units being sold right now. If you want a new L30 for less than $90 now is the time, a seller posted 4 of them, and he still has 2 of them left.

Which is fine, but what you suggest as a solution is what? The best I could reasonably see, is sending a warning on social media (or their website better yet) for anyone buying 2012 serialized units, should know those units are in question and shouldn't be bought with an expectation of receiving replacement units if they go belly-up, seeing as how the chain of responsibility is too far removed. Otherwise people can start a scam of 'buying and selling defective units, all asking Topping to send them a new working unit' because they've been sold a faulty SKU they had no idea. Buying used from others doesn't impart a responsibility from the parent company to start offering warranty to ever person such sale was made to.

Unless again, as I mentioned, you have precedent for such company decisions in other instances I am not aware of..
This problem is complicated to solve, and I am just giving my opinion. I am sure Topping have more information about the matter guiding their decisions. I'm just a potential customer, and a consumer, and I find it concerning to see all these units which should have been destroyed popping up in eBay. I thought people would be weary of selling them to unsuspecting buyers, but I guess that the prospect of a quick dollar is too powerful for some people.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Actually I am not. I was here a year before I came to Topping. It just that I'm also very active before. Life just falls into its place. And I'm mostly happy where I am now. I like this place I will be contributing to the forum. It actually more like someone from the forum went to Topping to make something good.
Well it's not obvious to the others, people who are already around here early 2019 would certainly know what I'm talking about.
I 'member :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom