• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WARNING: Many people selling their faulty Topping L30 amplifiers in eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ouch. Even ASR isn't immune to the new cancel culture. Is this our first? A random member joining ASR and attempting to cancel Topping because of they addressed an issue with one of their items perfectly? I am sorry @JohnYang1997 but as they saying goes "Don't feed the trolls"

I am just ashamed this post has not been moderated at all. It almost like all the shills from that other forum, are making their way here.
Pretty sure if you read the entire thread @JohnYang expressed appreciation this had been brought up-perhaps you should apply for the moderator position? Oh, forgot that's already taken.

JSmith

Master Contributor
And this is exactly why current solution is the best we can do .
You should publish a recall notice in papers of all your markets and on your website... otherwise you are liable to prosecution under the majority of consumer laws.

I would not be sending new units until the faulty unit is returned.

JSmith

Music1969

Major Contributor
I'm sorry if I came off as brash or anything of the sort.

Awww Johnny and Amber kissed and made up

Almost as sweet as Amir and Schiit Audio kissing and making up

But jokes aside, John Y is doing everything he can do - no question about that.

But this is not a good look for Topping (the company). Hopefully this kind of design issue doesn't happen again.

And hopefully nobody's hearing was permanently damaged...

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

I feel like that’s a pretty substantial assumption to make that Topping does not have some sort of contingency or business process to deal with these kinds of situations because they’re a small business. Based on the evidence and response of how it’s been dealt with by Topping, they’ve done a far better job than many companies with bigger pockets.
All I can tell you is that there were last evening between 15 and 20 L30 units for sale in eBay which are downright sketchy (like the guy who is selling both the new unit and the faulty unit at a profit) or simply unreasonable deals ($88 for a new L30?). Some of them even seem to be from dealers, that's about the only way I can understand a guy having stocked 10 units and having sold 8 of them through Facebook. Those units were SN 2008. And as of yesterday Topping seemed to be unaware of this issue. This tells me that they probably don't have enough resources to pursue this type of contingency. But like I told John Yang yesterday, it should really not take more than 20 or 30 minutes daily to at least take down most of those auctions.

If I were a manufacturer the last thing I would want is faulty units with my name of them getting resold. That can lead to about the worst type of publicity any company can ever get.

Just put yourself in the shoes of some poor guy who buys one of these units in eBay tomorrow and in a few months he blows up his HD800. Or maybe he finds out in a few weeks, and contacts Topping to get a replacement. What type of experience do you think this person will have, and what does that mean for Topping?

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

You should publish a recall notice in papers of all your markets and on your website... otherwise you are liable to prosecution under the majority of consumer laws.

I would not be sending new units until the faulty unit is returned.

JSmith
That was a big part of yesterday's conversation, but apparently the cost would be prohibitive. What is concerning is that they stopped demanding at some point even photos of the unit having been destroyed or disfigured to avoid it being resold. That's the only way I can explain all these auctions.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

Perhaps it's time to close this thread, as it appears to have served its purpose.
As long as people get the word out there and Topping take matters into their own hands (which will benefit them in more ways than one) it should probably get locked. If I continue seeing defective L30 units getting sold in eBay left and right I will just try to alert in other forums. The reason I chose this forum is because John posts here.

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Years ago I bought an Arcam Diva AVP350 preamp-processor on Ebay from a pawnshop in Montreal. Guy said he had a few. Turns out I didn't do my research and bought a lousy piece of kit with known problems that had been recalled and repaired or replaced for many owners upon return of the defective units. Somehow these defective units ended up at a pawnshop in the same city as the Arcam distributor for Canada.....

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

Ouch. Even ASR isn't immune to the new cancel culture. Is this our first? A random member joining ASR and attempting to cancel Topping because of they addressed an issue with one of their items perfectly? I am sorry @JohnYang1997 but as they saying goes "Don't feed the trolls"

I am just ashamed this post has not been moderated at all. It almost like all the shills from that other forum, are making their way here.
You might want to try and come up with a plan before you hit the keyboard next time. Cancel culture is about people starting public campaigns to fire celebrities who they blame of engaging in Politically Incorrect behavior. What I am doing here is alerting people not to buy second-hand defective L30 units which Topping instructed their customers to destroy. As I have explained many times handling this situation would benefit Topping in multiple ways.

What do you want to moderate? There is only two types of people I can see being upset about this thread: the scammers who are trying to sell their faulty L30s in eBay or people whose irrational zeal far outweighs their modest reasoning abilities.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

Years ago I bought an Arcam Diva AVP350 preamp-processor on Ebay from a pawnshop in Montreal. Guy said he had a few. Turns out I didn't do my research and bought a lousy piece of kit with known problems that had been recalled and repaired or replaced for many owners upon return of the defective units. Somehow these defective units ended up at a pawnshop in the same city as the Arcam distributor for Canada.....
And how did that make you feel? It feels like Schiit, doesn't it?

Were you more or less likely to buy Arcam equipment after this?

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
And how did that make you feel? It feels like Schiit, doesn't it?

Were you more or less likely to buy Arcam equipment after this?
Now that I also know that they measure poorly, thanks to being here on ASR, I'll never get sucked into the status driven purchases of that brand of audio gear again

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

I am done wasting my time too. But hey, what a way to enter ASR for the OP ! I'm sure he will have made lots of friends in the previous 9 pages (good job !). At least he has succeeded with me, since I'll be putting him in my ignore list from now on. I just can't stand that kind of people : they talk a lot, they believe they are superior and that they can lecture everybody about everything, when they basically know nothing.
My goal is not to make friends online with this thread, just to help some people out. It really pisses me off when scum try to scam honest folk.

You should never modulate your behavior in order to get friends. You should behave according to your principles, and hopefully you will get some like-minded people to be your friends along the way.

Also, I never said I know everything about anything, everybody is ignorant and so am I. But as far as I can tell this thread is solid in the sense that there is no misleading information on my part. I told you what I know from my own experience, you just need a set of eyes and a browser to see what the situation is.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

Now that I also know that they measure poorly, thanks to being here on ASR, I'll never get sucked into the status driven purchases of brand driven audio gear again … I hope ...
I hear you. I am not an audiophile myself, I just like music (is that called a melophile?). I just got my first headphone amp/dac, and it will hopefully be my last as long as it functions, because I see technology as a means to an end (experiencing art) and not as an end in itself. If new gear comes out with inaudible improvements I could care less.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My Dad was an Auditor with Nabisco in the 1950's.

He had to audit the destruction of cookies and crackers from time to time, if the truck they were in had an accident or a pallet fell in a warehouse someplace..

Of course, he'd bring some home before the bulldozer got to them, usually the problem was just "product damage" - smushed Oreos or Premium Saltines, nothing dangerous, they just didn't look pretty any more.

I never did develop a taste for Fig Newtons.

JSmith

Master Contributor
That was a big part of yesterday's conversation, but apparently the cost would be prohibitive.
Yes that is odd... was considering a Topping D90, but hanging back now after reading this. I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a product I may have problems returning if there is a problem, assuming I buy from OS rather than a local supplier.

It seems QC may be an issue.

JSmith

Nango

Major Contributor
Really didn't want to reply to this thread. But do you really realize that with all those incidents Schiit never recalled and never tried to improve the protection circuit? Where it was already the goal of L30 just it sadly failed to do unfortunately. Schiit is simply gambling that the cost of refunding the headphones are cheaper and simpler. Enforcing the destruction of the unit is easier said than done. And it really comes down to the responsibility of the sellers of the second hand unit themselves.
Is It an excuse for Topping if others did or did not whatever? Is It that what you saying?

jannek

Yes that is odd... was considering a Topping D90, but hanging back now after reading this. I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a product I may have problems returning if there is a problem, assuming I buy from OS rather than a local supplier.

It seems QC may be an issue.

This is the worst possible outcome of this thread. Making people more aware of a technical problem of a Topping device than of the (in my eyes almost perfect) handling of the issue. Other companies would not have reacted to an issue like this (or maybe just compensate for broken equipment) or even would not have had any issue with DC protection because no protection existent at all.

I have not heard of any problem of the D90 yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom