• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTV Purifi 1ET400A updates

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
VTV is offering an EVAL1-based amp for $959. I thought the whole idea of the EVAL1 board was for “evaluation” and not incorporation in commercially available products, but I could be wrong. In any event, the $959 price is about $400 less than what a person could DIY it for. This just took me out of the DIY market.

https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-purifi-eigentakt-stereo-amplifier-based-on-eval-1/

Other than the EMI/RFI filter on the power mains input and without a front illuminated power button (because the J3 connector is no longer present on the current EVAL1) it looks to be essentially the same as the test units Purifi sent out:

View attachment 102495
Very nice build and incredible price! I predict this will sell a lot, specially being in the US with home trial etc.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nice build and incredible price! I predict this will sell a lot, specially being in the US with home trial etc.
I've been waiting for a made in the USA Pufifi amp to come along at a reasonable price but I too have questions about the "quality" of this Evaluation amp module. Does anyone know the difference between this module and the other Pufifi modules VTV sell?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been waiting for a made in the USA Pufifi amp to come along at a reasonable price but I too have questions about the "quality" of this Evaluation amp module. Does anyone know the difference between this module and the other Pufifi modules VTV sell?
Modules are the same (1ET400A), what changes are the buffer boards. This one (EVAL-1) is made by Purifi and was sent for reviewing in several places such as ASR, SoundStage and other sites.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Modules are the same (1ET400A), what changes are the buffer boards. This one (EVAL-1) is made by Purifi and was sent for reviewing in several places such as ASR, SoundStage and other sites.
Right! I don’t have any question about the quality of the EVAL1 boards, although some people earlier questioned whether the Hypex buffer boards were meant for inclusion in consumer products. My question was more along the lines of the numbers of the EVAL1 boards produced by Purify—i.e., I thought they were only made in quantities suitable for evaluation purposes, not for incorporation in a commercial product. It looks like I am wrong, though.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, that was a strange move but I am glad that they did it.

Aardappel

VTV is offering an EVAL1-based amp for $959. I thought the whole idea of the EVAL1 board was for “evaluation” and not incorporation in commercially available products, but I could be wrong. In any event, the $959 price is about $400 less than what a person could DIY it for. This just took me out of the DIY market.

https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-purifi-eigentakt-stereo-amplifier-based-on-eval-1/

Other than the EMI/RFI filter on the power mains input and without a front illuminated power button (because the J3 connector is no longer present on the current EVAL1) it looks to be essentially the same as the test units Purifi sent out:

View attachment 102495
Yes I ordered one, I'm expecting it next week!

holbob

I ordered a xtz edge icepower this week, that apparently shipped yesterday. Couldn't find a purifi at a decent price, and audiophonics aren't shipping to the UK at the moment. If this has been available before I ordered!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I ordered one, I'm expecting it next week!
My finger is hovering over the "buy" button. Tell me why I should hold off. (please don't)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My finger is hovering over the "buy" button. Tell me why I should hold off. (please don't)
Just do it. There is a 30 day trial. Worst case you send it back as new and lose only the return shipping. Totally worth it.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just do it. There is a 30 day trial. Worst case you send it back as new and lose only the return shipping. Totally worth it.
True. Is it possible to swap input buffer IC's on this version?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think swapping opamps is not possible on EVAL-1, look all soldered to me.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/diy-purifi-amp-builds.10478/post-290902
Not sure why you would want to do that anyway given the specs and the opamp used (OPA1612) and its performance in the circuit. I don’t think substituting a different opamp will improve the measured performance and it certainly won’t be audible unless the substituted opamp is doing something *wrong*.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure why you would want to do that anyway given the specs and the opamp used (OPA1612) and its performance in the circuit. I don’t think substituting a different opamp will improve the measured performance and it certainly won’t be audible unless it’s doing something *wrong*.
Thanks for that. I know I've heard a lot of these class D modules have swappable op amps. I suppose those are the NCore modules?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for that. I know I've heard a lot of these class D modules have swappable op amps. I suppose those are the NCore modules?
Depends on the buffer really. Some modules are bufferless (NCore NC500, Purifi 1ET400A) and the buffers used may or may not have opamps in sockets for changing. Other modules have buffer included (NCore MP series, ICEpower, Pascal) and also no socket opamps for rolling.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
This lack of filtering in the EVALUATION board can be addressed. Spectral used to recommend high capacitance interconnect cables to provide bandwidth limiting.
Same should work here.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The buffer boards from some manufacturers offer socketed opamps so that purchasers can choose between different models of standard package or discrete opamps. In most cases, the different options will cost different amounts of money but offer similar performance. I can’t imagine swapping opamps would result in any discernible change in sound quality. Just more audiophile mythology, IMHO. I quit believing in that stuff when I started beta testing audio gear for companies and engaged in close listening of multiple iterations of different products. For example, in two different pieces of gear I tested differences in the onboard digital filter choices present in the ESS9018 and 9038 and couldn’t hear any differences. Neither could any of the other testers or the company engineers. That was the last straw which ended any lingering belief in audiophile voodoo.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the replies. Finger even closer to the button...

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This lack of filtering in the EVALUATION board can be addressed. Spectral used to recommend high capacitance interconnect cables to provide bandwidth limiting.
Same should work here.
I believe the Purifi buffer does not have this problem and it is the Hypex evaluation boards that did.

mSpot

I think swapping opamps is not possible on EVAL-1, look all soldered to me.
Not only that, with the VTV you will not be able swap the EVAL-1 with a different buffer board. VTV put it in a case specifically made to fit the input/output connectors on the EVAL-1 board. It can't be replaced with a different board without modifying the chassis.

IMG_8462.jpg

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any appreciable difference between this amp and their Eigentakt module based amp?

Top Bottom