• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Volume & DAC?

bplatypus

Hi,

Just for my knowledge, I wanted to know why my volume increases like 'insane' between a Denon x6700 and a Denafrips Ares DAC (lent by a friend)...ok the denafrips doesn't have a volume control but if I increase the volume on my Denon to match the one of denafrips I don't have the same crystal-clear sound.

Is it really due to the on-board DAC? Or am I missing something? (I'm quite shocked by the difference... I mean the x6700 isn't exactly cheap o_O)

Thanks.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
It's hard to understand what you are describing. What was the before arrangement (e.g. what is your source, how does it feed the amplifier); what are you trialling now.

If you don't have the levels identically matched, your brain will convince you that you can hear all sorts of differences.

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Most AV receivers will convert the analogue input to digital, so that becomes the limiting factor.

You might be able to work around it by selecting pure direct mode (or whatever it's called on your receiver), however I suspect it might still carry out the analogue to digital conversion anyway.

An AV receiver is a less than ideal platform to be comparing DACs.

Top Bottom