• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Violectric HPA V550 Pro Review (Pre-amp/Headphone Amp)

rocksteady

Forum Donor
Yea I understand your point also, but for V281 etc. while audibly transparaent, it have less than perfect channel matching for volume control, this one have even higher SINAD, and that the old Vios or LP seems like having some very mild low frequency roll off which is fixed in this one, I for one might buy one if it's at the V281s price bracket, but sadly they just gone most Hifi company route and make them costing an arm and a leg
I understand that this latest offering may be Technically superior to previous models, but being an LP / Violectric user for a number of years, I can safely say that any channel imbalance they may "suffer" from is effectively inaudible at the Volume levels and relative positions of the Pot that I normally listen to.

Especially so since I listen mostly to relatively inefficient, vintage High Z headphones, as well as a few HIFIMAN Planar Magnetics. As for Frequency Roll Off, again, I have never noticed this, even though I admit that at the age of 56 my hearing may no longer be optimal...

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
I understand that this latest offering may be Technically superior to previous models, but being an LP / Violectric user for a number of years, I can safely say that any channel imbalance they may "suffer" from is effectively inaudible at the Volume levels and relative positions of the Pot that I normally listen to.

Especially so since I listen mostly to relatively inefficient, vintage High Z headphones, as well as a few HIFIMAN Planar Magnetics. As for Frequency Roll Off, again, I have never noticed this, even though I admit that at the age of 56 my hearing may no longer be optimal...
yea, I believe all those things they've improved are way beyond perception, so it's basically see the graphs and gets high type of improvement;) same as for the lowered high Z power. personally I believe on the amp and dac side, aside from a few duds like some XXX-gd....

We have reached effective transparency for quite some years and in last 2-3 years a lot of products out there get to the level where even carefully set up and looking for defects type of test can't make any listener find perceivable difference. thus these amp and dacs releasing are just chasing for technical superiority as the designer like, and customer upgrade itch.

muslhead

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nice, but what's it got that Benchmark, Topping and RME ain't got, at a lower price and sometimes with better features? Luxury branding aside, I thought the essence of good engineering was getting the most performance out of the least amount of "stuff".
Power, power and more power.
Your referenced devices are as much as half or less than the 550, depending upon load

Reactions: YSC
Top Bottom