• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vinyl sales surpass CD revenue, first time since 1980s

Robin L

Master Contributor
giphy.gif

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
vinyljoke.jpg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Neither vinyl or cd are really significant in comparison to the rest of the market, eh?

Wombat

Master Contributor

rkbates

Forum Donor
I don't have any vinyl, but I love going to a friends place, carefully selecting and playing a few albums over a red wine or two. I don't buy CDs any more, my preference is for FLAC digital downloads rather than physical media (convenience plus environmental concerns). I use streaming for finding and trialing new artists and albums then buy a digital download if I like my discovery because I want that album to be available whenever I feel like it, independent of internet connection or streaming provider (plus better royalties for the artist rather than the streaming company). Looking at the trends, am I a dinosaur and should I be adapting more to a changing environment?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...because CD revenue is miniscule compared to CD's heyday

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Looking at the trends, am I a dinosaur and should I be adapting more to a changing environment?
Same here, I think your doing it just right.

Taddpole

...because CD revenue is miniscule compared to CD's heyday

Even recorded music revenue as a whole is under half of CDs heyday. Vinyl making up around 5% of it.

Highest revenue per unit sold though I'd expect.

DVD still outselling Blu ray. We need a VHS revival :)

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I suppose that CDs and vinyl are now both niche markets. Will we see a CD-revival in the future? I suspect not.

I love streaming (just checking out today's new releases) but do miss the thrill of the new CD (or vinyl or even cassette) bought from a shop!

Wombat

Master Contributor
I suppose that CDs and vinyl are now both niche markets. Will we see a CD-revival in the future? I suspect not.

I love streaming (just checking out today's new releases) but do miss the thrill of the new CD (or vinyl or even cassette) bought from a shop!

I just wish the on-line price of old new, and used, CDs would drop drastically to the Ebay prices of a couple of years ago. Maybe there is a quiet CD revival after all.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just wish the on-line price of old new, and used, CDs would drop drastically to the Ebay prices of a couple of years ago. Maybe there is a quiet CD revival after all.
Definitely. I had a huge CD buying spree around 2006/2007 and you could pick up new CDs for next to nothing (including those imported direct from US to UK).

When vinyl started to enjoy its revival it always struck my as quite ironic that it cost more than CDs. The exact opposite of the 1980s.

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All statistic from a very low piont/sample is suspicus imho :rolleyes: you can increase sales by 10000% if you sell 100pcs instead of one ?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even recorded music revenue as a whole is under half of CDs heyday. Vinyl making up around 5% of it.
Inflation adjusted that looks right, but as I'm sure more music is listened to today* that's good for the consumer.

*Anyone have any way of comparing music listening volumes across the ages? Good data must exist now for streaming, but who was tracking how many plays people did of vinyl or CDs pre-internet.

Old&intheWay

Definitely. I had a huge CD buying spree around 2006/2007 and you could pick up new CDs for next to nothing (including those imported direct from US to UK).

When vinyl started to enjoy its revival it always struck my as quite ironic that it cost more than CDs. The exact opposite of the 1980s.
I went on a huge vinyl buying spree in 1988/1990, they were really cheap then. I have a Technics SL 1200 turntable & a Nitty Gritty Record Cleaner, and I enjoy listening to the occasional LP. Probably the best part is perusing the cardboard sleeve.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I went on a huge vinyl buying spree in 1988/1990, they were really cheap then. I have a Technics SL 1200 turntable & a Nitty Gritty Record Cleaner, and I enjoy listening to the occasional LP. Probably the best part is perusing the cardboard sleeve.
Agree about the sleeve. Did the most LP collecting around the same time. Record companies were blowing out stock to make room for the new format.

Top Bottom