• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Carbon Footprint of Vinyl, CD and Streaming

ErVikingo

The Carbon Footprint of Vinyl, CD and Streaming

For your thoughts. I see issues with their comparison (how many times you play a record or a CD) but its interesting. Then we will have to add the energy consumed by the components, the waste generated on their manufacture and transport.

OP
ErVikingo

ErVikingo

I find it very hard to believe that increasing or decreasing carbon footprint of audio consumption will have any effect on anything. Probably it is best not to talk about it online and waste energy.
I agree with you and posted this to show that some people think otherwise. The law of diminishing returns

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For what it's worth, I weighted a CD (ABBA Gold: Greatest Hits, Polydor 314 517 007-2) which happened to be within arms reach:

CD: 15 grams
Jewel case, minus artwork, missing a hinge: 65 grams

While my sample LP (Janacek: Taras Bulba, Philips 9500-874) weighed in at about 110 grams, or more than 7x as much as the CD, minus it's packaging.

But to keep things in perspective, I also weighed a clean take-out food container made of good-quality polypropylene: 40 grams. And unlike the LP or CD, the food container is regarded as a single-use item. And even if you attempt to recycle it, there are only so many ways that it can be reused.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
yes its a pointless discussion

i think its clear that for everyday people, in the west, their consumption of power is largely consistent of heating cooking cooling and lighting... and EV if you are so lucky.

Everything else doesnt matter... I literally left on a preamp and poweramp 24/7 for years... it was my belief that having it left on with power in the system lead to lower parts failure... rather than power cycling. Didnt make a dent in the bill... with that I would leave on computers etc.

Thing is people will leave on their internet... because who turns off their router? so if you stream who cares, if you have a file server... if you play back vinyl...

You can also get into the argument of how much it costs to run tidal amazon music spotify etc. but that's really outside of the scope of what people will understand.

Top Bottom