• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vincent SV-237 MKII

sthaus

Hi all,

Is there anyone experience with a German Hybrid amplifier called Vincents SV-237 MK2? Part, a tube class A 10W cross with A/B 150W/8ohm & 250W/4ohm ... seems very attractive looking amp and lustful sound.

With the price range under 3000$, is there any recommendations better than that amp?
Cheers

OP
S

sthaus

Most class A amps only operate in class A for the first few watts or so, then A/B... so not unusual.

Meh...

JSmith
Hahaha, I'm expecting your reaction. From very beginning, I was ... Meh same .. but after listening to it in few sessions; it got a lustful taste, crunchy munchy grunchy apart from most tube amp but still keep warm sound signature with level of details. lookalike "VU" is nice .. !

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
No experience with this Vincent but SV-233 has tremendous power and can make many tired speakers come alive

Edit: 233 has similar specs. I've never heard noise from the amp, it sounded completely relaxed no matter the volume.
The volume pot was its weakness, often had to be fixed. Lost the left channel after one year.

Last edited:

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I remember having amps of this brand in our store (about 10 - 15 years ago). Nothing special about them despite being subjectively very powerful.

RME ADI 2 Pro with a decent power amp should be within your price bracket and should run circles around the SV-237. But if you like the Vincent: keep it.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just as info, without implying anything else: AFAIK Vincent is a German brand which imports from/produces in China from the very first time I stumbled over one, some 20+ years ago.

OP
S

sthaus

Hard to find 101% audio equipments made without china, japan supplies involve ! Even a tiny screw ! And I’m not sick of it .. but just aware of it due to the quality control issue.
Any more recommendations from you guys ! Please share .. much appreciated

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard to find 101% audio equipments made without china, japan supplies involve ! Even a tiny screw ! And I’m not sick of it .. but just aware of it due to the quality control issue.
Any more recommendations from you guys ! Please share .. much appreciated
Japanese quality control and manufacturing is some of the best to exist. Much of the product coming from China now is very much @ a level of quality that is world class in their respective price brackets. I know. I have first hand over 24 years watched them from the point of view as a audio gear salesperson and as an audio gear electronic technician. Both of them have become powerhouses of manufacturing, went from having nagging issues to now offering products designed and manufactured to last many years or longer. Your blanket statements and belittling of anything Japanese or Chinese is simply rubbish. :D I also have been instructed when being educated in electronics by both a direct from Japan electronics expert and a direct from China electronics expert. They both knew the stuff inside and out in many ways and could mathematically explain in the greatest detail in several ways if required anything electronic for me when I needed that so that I could grasp everything no matter how embarrassed I was @ being outed at the front of the class. They really cared a lot and pushed and pushed, worked hard and went above and beyond at the front of the class everyday to make the best students possible. So you really could rethink your attitude about their attitudes and abilities. Sigh* :D

OP
S

sthaus

Japanese quality control and manufacturing is some of the best to exist. Much of the product coming from China now is very much @ a level of quality that is world class in their respective price brackets. I know. I have first hand over 24 years watched them from the point of view as an audio gear salesperson and as an audio gear electronic technician. Both of them have become powerhouses of manufacturing, went from having nagging issues to now offering products designed and manufactured to last many years or longer. Your blanket statements and belittling of anything Japanese or Chinese is simply rubbish. :D I also have been instructed when being educated in electronics by both a direct from Japan electronics expert and a direct from China electronics expert. They both knew the stuff inside and out in many ways and could mathematically explain in the greatest detail in several ways if required anything electronic for me when I needed that so that I could grasp everything no matter how embarrassed I was @ being outed at the front of the class. They really cared a lot and pushed and pushed, worked hard and went above and beyond at the front of the class everyday to make the best students possible. So you really could rethink your attitude about their attitudes and abilities. Sigh* :D

I don’t think we look down on China products but just aware of it as I mentioned earlier .! In fact, Japanese stuff is seems after the quality more than Chinese with the quantity. In addition, most of us know China’s QC is kind of @ss, depends on luck sometimes. An example of my Chinese Amps and my DACs, broken almost every 2 years. I replaced Nichicon’s capacitors quite often in electronic devices with Mundorf, Obbligato , Jantzen and Audionote.. they are very good in quality and performance.

Importantly, We did not discuss how good they know in tech and how hard they work, it does not relate to the topic we wanted to hear. Therefore is anyone lets me know part of your product is from China Zz I will just smile .. thanks and appreciate it, no surprise man !!

Cheers

Last edited:
OP
S

sthaus

I remember having amps of this brand in our store (about 10 - 15 years ago). Nothing special about them despite being subjectively very powerful.

RME ADI 2 Pro with a decent power amp should be within your price bracket and should run circles around the SV-237. But if you like the Vincent: keep it.
RME ADI 2 Pro, you meant DAC ? I got all ESS, AKM & R2R already .. hehe no more budget on DAC for now .. I just focus on Amp only !

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
most of us know China’s QC is kind of @ss, depends on luck sometimes.
erm... No. I bought camera equipment that comes from China but has Euro name branding. The complex and feature laden tripod was a work of art and was perfect in every way and functioned excellently. The camera tripod ball head mount was gorgeous in the finish and super smooth in it's operation which is difficult to do due to the machining and materials required to make it work effectively. I have owned I think off the top of my head 10 Japanese motorcycles both dirt and street rides and they where like hammers in their reliability. One of them the Kawasaki engine was and still is nicknamed in the USA and Canada as, "The Hammer." Because it is so reliable and tough. The fit and finish of the metals and paints was smooth as glass and very durable over the many years. The plastics are top notch too. Yes, I have handled some very cool German electronics that exemplified quality and beauty too and I fell in love with them moment I opened the top covers and saw the construction of it. I have operated German made cars and found them to be pretty nice too but so are the Japanese cars and China is now making cars that are sold in global markets as major recognized established name brands that are luxury quality models that are desirable and unique too. Decades ago when I was a electronic technician in Canada and the electronics devices factories where closing in Japan and the machinery being moved to China and then setup there for manufacturing there where major issues with QA/QC but they only needed 2 or 3 years and they fixed those issues and made good product thereafter. China has come a longgg long way in a short time period and Japan for decades has been a global standard in manufacturing technology and practices. It is you that is incorrect in these matters and are not aware of the historical record etc. Stuff like DACs and other cheap electronics designed to last a short couple of years are not examples of quality gear for quality prices. :D

OP
S

sthaus

erm... No. I bought camera equipment that comes from China but has Euro name branding. The complex and feature laden tripod was a work of art and was perfect in every way and functioned excellently. The camera tripod ball head mount was gorgeous in the finish and super smooth in it's operation which is difficult to do due to the machining and materials required to make it work effectively. I have owned I think off the top of my head 10 Japanese motorcycles both dirt and street rides and they where like hammers in their reliability. One of them the Kawasaki engine was and still is nicknamed in the USA and Canada as, "The Hammer." Because it is so reliable and tough. The fit and finish of the metals and paints was smooth as glass and very durable over the many years. The plastics are top notch too. Yes, I have handled some very cool German electronics that exemplified quality and beauty too and I fell in love with them moment I opened the top covers and saw the construction of it. I have operated German made cars and found them to be pretty nice too but so are the Japanese cars and China is now making cars that are sold in global markets as major recognized established name brands that are luxury quality models that are desirable and unique too. Decades ago when I was a electronic technician in Canada and the electronics devices factories where closing in Japan and the machinery being moved to China and then setup there for manufacturing there where major issues with QA/QC but they only needed 2 or 3 years and they fixed those issues and made good product thereafter. China has come a longgg long way in a short time period and Japan for decades has been a global standard in manufacturing technology and practices. It is you that is incorrect in these matters and are not aware of the historical record etc. Stuff like DACs and other cheap electronics designed to last a short couple of years are not examples of quality gear for quality prices. :D
Sorry I did not aware this conversion has tickle in your nerve about china products but might seem you tried not to understand what I mentioned above. We all talk about audio equipments didnt we.

Can I please not go further about it ! Thanks

OP
S

sthaus

If I were to go for a hybrid design like this (I wouldn’t, but I get the allure) I’d spend the extra money to buy one from Mcintosh.
How much extra $$ on your recommendations ? And which one please !

Pareto Pragmatic

If I were to go for a hybrid design like this (I wouldn’t, but I get the allure) I’d spend the extra money to buy one from Mcintosh.

McIntosh certainly will hold value better, if resale is a concern.

I wouldn't go for it either, but if I did I would go amp + tube preamp. More flexibility that way.

But if someone hears it, and likes the (reportedly) warm sound, and wants a one and done purchase... seems like a reasonable choice.

OP
S

sthaus

Looks like a price of $4500 usd to start, and then goes up from there.
Ouch, this is an 33% extra investment from the mid to the entry of high-end tier and further?

For all audiophile people, you are all become a merchant soon or later

Pareto Pragmatic

Ouch, this is an 33% extra investment from the mid to the entry of high-end tier and further?

For all audiophile people, you are all become a merchant soon or later
There is a used MA 252 on sale, online, from Germany, priced at 2900 euro. Listed 3 days ago.

Seems 3500 euro is a common asking price for it.

Top Bottom