• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Verum 1 : planar magnetic headphones

GGroch

Patreon Donor
RE: What is a good amplifier choice for the Verum One? Good Question. The published V One specs are:

I agree with Veri...my Atom works great with the V One. I use low gain, it has plenty of power.

But: Here are the V One specifications:
96 dB\mW sensitivity
8 ohms

The sensitivity spec is somewhat low. Good for a planar but lower than many dynamic phones. It is the very low 8 ohm impedance that stands out. I had thought that meant it was critical that the amps's output impedance be very low to maintain a flat frequency response. BUT, I also understand output impedance does not mess with the FR of most planars and that the V One chart is very flat.

So, it does not really need an amp, works great out of most phones. But there is a lot of discussion on SBAF on what amps work well and even on some that could damage them, or be damaged. Amps that do not handle low impedances may need an impedance adapter, particularly if you use a balanced cable. I need to go back an read more.

Ken Rockwell's review discusses amp choices and has an impedance chart.

abm0

Amps that do not handle low impedances may need an impedance adapter, particularly if you use a balanced cable. I need to go back an read more.
Impedance adapter for balanced - now there's a tall order.

flipflop

I also understand output impedance does not mess with the FR of most planars
It's the case for all planars, not just "most" of them.
EDIT: Sorry, I was wrong.

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
It's the case for all planars, not just "most" of them.
Not all planars have a completely flat impedance/frequency curve response though, so what suggests that all of them are not affected by output impedance from the amps ??

solderdude

Major Contributor
Even with a 120 Ohm series resistor at 400Hz there will be a 0.6dB increase. Given that due to a resonance the FR dips 4 dB at that exact spot (hence the small impedance bup) this would mean the dip would be 3.4dB at 400Hz so it could even be an improvement driving those from a high impedance amplifier. ;)

sergeauckland

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Patreon Donor
I write as a reluctant headphone user, but I can't help wondering if frequency response matters much with headphones.
Considering how far from flat any headphone is, isn't it then the case that all headphones are a matter of taste?

Take any headphone, run it from 0 ohms output impedance, run it from X ohms output impedance. Neither is right, as in flat, so which one do YOU prefer?

S.

Frank Dernie

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
I have listened to these headphones a lot today.
They are very comfortable to wear. The cable arrangement is brilliant.
The sound is probably the best I have heard from headphones in terms of instrumental timbre.
They have deep bass and a clear treble.
I could not be more delighted.
Worth the wait!

Hello guys! Thanks for support once more and sorry for delays. Within several days I'll finally ship ALL ordered Verums. It'll take 3-4 weeks to reach a client but anyway i'm on a finish line. And I'm finally a very happy person without burden on my shoulders ;)

One hint about Verum 1 sensitivity: 96 db\mW and ~117 db\V so you just need an amp that can deliver [email protected] ohm. not a problem imho.
About output impedance - Verum 1 has almost zero inductance like most planars and frequency response isn't affected Z out of an amp.

solderdude

Major Contributor
Not for the Verum 1, you can connect it to 10 Ohm output R amplifiers without any problems.

It looks like the Sabaj 5 has plenty of power in 32 Ohm so obviously can supply enough current for 8 Ohm (it actually is between 6 and 7 Ohm)
I agree that this is very low for an over ear headphone.
The AEON headphones are 12 Ohm so its not that the Verum 1 is the only one with an unusual low impedance.
Some IEM's also are in that territory.
It does not need a high voltage so currents also won't be terribly high.

Some amplifiers or other music sources may show higher than specified distortion levels though.

Hey guys, does anyone have any info on why Garuspik doesn't issue tracking numbers? I live in South Africa, and the postal service here is quite unreliable, and its almost always required to have a tracking number when dealing with international parcels. I've asked Garuspik before but haven't received a response.

Hey guys, does anyone have any info on why Garuspik doesn't issue tracking numbers?
I think this is just to speed things up on his end during this catch-up with all the delayed orders. I'd expect that once he's up to date and delivering from stock it shouldn't be an issue to send tracking numbers as well.

LE:
Oh, he's already got some things in stock according to the website. Maybe ask him again if it's been a while since the last time you asked.