• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using Tunemethod to evaluate different OP amps in a TPA 3251 amplifier ( Aiyima a04 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I did som OP rolling yesterday with my Aiyima a04 tpa3251 powered by a medical grade powersupply from meanwell 30V 6A.
I used my two identical Aiyimas a04 - the reference had lm4562. Could it be bettered soundwise ? Source was a Yamaha wxc50 using Apple Music with airplay. Loudspeakers was my current DIY speakers with two very revealing Markaudio chn110 drivers in a stereo setup.

The listening session was like this:

1. The original NE5532
2. Lm4562
3. Opa 1642
4. Opa 1612

I used the tunemethod by ear ( listening after the clearest pitch of the tunes when following each instrument playing ) listening to the same music for about 20 minutes with each amplifier before changing the amplifier.
There were distinct differences in the perceived sound quality with the changing of each OP amp . The NE5532 was clearly the worst sounding when listening after the clearest melody pitch, but one could be very lost in the evaluation If only listening to ” the sound of the music” - not following the instruments melodies and only listening to hifi jargongs like soundstage and such.

The result after this evaluation was …

Best sound ranking:

1. Lm4562
2. Opa1612 ( sounded almost as good as lm4562, very small difference )
3. Opa1642
4. Ne5532

After this , with two amplifiers both with lm4562 it was time to check if they sounded identical, and they did.

IMG_4080.jpeg
IMG_4087.jpeg
IMG_4083.jpeg

Last edited:

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"I used the tunemethod by ear ( listening after the clearest pitch of the tunes when following each instrument playing )"

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the language here.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Complete nonsense.
Keith

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
"I used the tunemethod by ear ( listening after the clearest pitch of the tunes when following each instrument playing )"

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the language here.
The most ”spacious ” perceived sound with the biggest soundstage was with opa1642 - but the bass pitch wasnt as clear to follow in the music listening as it was with the lm4562.

Listening only after ”hifi jargongs” like soundstage depth and width, then the opa1642 was the winner.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Not a single ounce of effort at controlling listening or questioning the results... or using the search function, either here or on Google:

Sokel

Master Contributor
The complete nonsense in the description of the method is what they say about the guitarist tunning his guitar.
(unless someone wants a way to never - EVER play with an orchestra )

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if serious...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, I believe so. Welcome to Audio Subjectivist Review. :facepalm:

Jim
I do it the traditional way, draw a pentagram and burn the proper offerings to the gods of audio. Works for me!

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
Im gonna do further tunemethod evaluations with different amplifiers comparing with the Aiyima a04 with lm4562.
Its not easy to find an amplifier that do better using tunemethod ( within its limited power rating ) regardless of price.

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor

Curvature

Major Contributor
Im gonna do further tunemethod evaluations with different amplifiers comparing with the Aiyima a04 with lm4562.
Its not easy to find an amplifier that do better using tunemethod ( within its limited power rating ) regardless of price.
Why? You aren't interested in knowledge? The "evaluations" aren't designed to test anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom