• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using a dongle dac to power speakers (no amp)

CarbonMakerU

Forum Donor
suitability.jpg

OP
A

amanieux

Let me guess, there is more bass?

... sure, the output impedance of the dongle is much higher.
Do you have the moodrop dawn 4.4 output impedance, i sometime reads 1 ohms sometimes 0.5 ohms, i cannot find official data

OP
A

amanieux

There's plugins for that. I add crossfeed to my headphones via Equalizer APO.
Does apo crossfeed simulation sounds as good as speakers crossfeed ? I tried variable crossfeed option from my es100 dac and it was really not convincing as it just adds a bit of the right channel into the left channel and vice versa, it not like real crossfeed from speakers that involves hrtf

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Does apo crossfeed simulation sounds as good as speakers crossfeed ? I tried variable crossfeed option from my es100 dac and it was really not convincing as it just adds a bit of the right channel into the left channel and vice versa, it not like real crossfeed from speakers that involves hrtf

I'm using BS2BR with the Jan Meier setting. It sounds pretty convincing to me, but I'm not much of a connoisseur, to be honest.

BeerBear

Unless OP can damage the speakers/dongle with that (can he? IDK), I don't see a problem with what he's doing.
I think a lot of people overestimate the power required for playing music at a moderate level with typical (high 80s sensitivity) speakers. It's when you get to louder volumes that the power demand goes up rapidly.

D

Deleted member 48726

Well. As a kid I got my first TV and I already had some home built speakers made from salvaged ghettoblasters and I hooked those up from the 3.5 mm. headphone jack out of the TV and it did make sound and louder than the TV's single mono driver.

Graham849

Forum Donor
It's not bonkers.

I remember in the 1970s when I was very young, hooking my pocket transistor radio up to one of Dad's 15" 3 way Empire royal Grenadiers 9000Ms via the 1/8" earphone jack and it sounded perfectly fine. We listened to a whole afternoon of cricket broadcast on 2xAA batteries. Flat out, the radio would have put out about 100mW, so likely 15-20mW.
Early 70's I hooked a germanium diode up to a 40ft run wire thru bedroom floor to outside fence. The other end I connected to a huge rotating metal capacitor from a 50s valve radio and connected it across a transformer speaker assembly ditto from old gear. I tuned in the local am radio station so loud my dad ran in thinking I was plugged into the 240 volt power supply. Never underestimate what gear can achieve.

Last edited:
OP
A

amanieux

If you haven’t made a radio powered by a lemon and a few copper coins, you can’t call yourself an audiophile. ;)
joke aside, making great audio with $2000 is easy and boring,
making it 90% as good for $200 is fun and challenging (here i add a $70 used powered subwoofer and it's a nice system for $200)

Last edited:

ppataki

Major Contributor
joke aside, making great audio with $2000 is easy and boring,
making it 90% as good for $200 is fun and challenging
I just tested this with my old Fiio Olympus 2 and it worked pretty well
Of course I would not use my system in this way (simply because I need way more power) but as an experiment it is great!

I can imagine it could work perfectly for a DIY 'head-speaker' using 1-2 inch full range drivers

JSmith

Master Contributor
If you haven’t made a radio powered by a lemon and a few copper coins, you can’t call yourself an audiophile. ;)
Mate surely you know potatoes (circa 1V) are better than lemons (0.7V)... your lemon radio could have been that much better. :D

JSmith

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Mate surely you know potatoes (circa 1V) are better than lemons (0.7V)... your lemon radio could have been that much better. :D

JSmith

I quad series stacked my lemons and ABX'd them against triple stacked potatoes running in BTL, and to be honest, there was nothing in it.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
sound is cleaner than going through my aiyima a07
This is probably the statement I don't understand. For a start I don't what "cleaner sound" is.

What I might expect is the frequency response being different, due to different output impedances and different current availability at impedance inflection points. But I wouldn't expect it to sound "better" than a high current low impedance power amplifier.

OP
A

amanieux

just attached a zip to the initial post comparing sound sampled from zoom h1 at listening position 40cm away from speakers ( you are correct"cleaner" is subjective, i can also describe it as more contrasted or brighter, a07 sounds smoother, judge for yourself)

Top Bottom