• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB vs Digital/Optical

TechEnthusiast

I have a soundblaster Z card and an Asus H170 Pro Gaming MB. Is there any difference between cards for the SPIDIF out? I mean do they "color" the sound (intentionally that is) or are they attempting to send a pure and accurate signal? Is USB interface preferred or will that introduce noise?
Also if just feeding an amp from PC which is better; straight single ended or se to rca?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The USB connection will enable higher sample rates. The SPDIF and coax outputs may have a EQ available in the ASUS Sonic Studio software. My ASUS motherboard has the EQ for SPDIF and coax. Check your software and see if the EQ is a feature.

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

The USB connection will enable higher sample rates. The SPDIF and coax outputs may have a EQ available in the ASUS Sonic Studio software. My ASUS motherboard has the EQ for SPDIF and coax. Check your software and see if the EQ is a feature.
I understand that with USB, but I want to know about things that can be heard. Just want to know if the card/mb interfere with the original signal

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The differences between using the Sound Blaster Z or the onboard ASUS solution will be very small. If using the TOSLINK output from the SB or the available motherboard digital output connections then the difference is supposed to not exist. Unless I suppose there was some DSP occurring including a EQ like your motherboard may have.

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

The differences between using the Sound Blaster Z or the onboard ASUS solution will be very small. If using the TOSLINK output from the SB or the available motherboard digital output connections then the difference is supposed to not exist. Unless I suppose there was some DSP occurring including a EQ like your motherboard may have.
Thanks. That's what I thought but wasn't sure. What about the question about se vs rca?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you mean balanced/differential XLR vs RCA? A balanced XLR connection system from the DAC onwards would be very nice to have. Whether you decide you want balanced headphones is another thing.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe he means the small jack on the computer? If so, since the connection is digital, it should not matter. It works or it's broken. If there's jitter, whatever you send to should be able to clean it up.

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

Yes, the single ended output on the sound card into an amp. Better straight se or se to rca

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Single ended is a way to refer to rca cables, so you're confusing people. You mean the 3.5 mm audio jack. And it probably doesn't matter which kind you use if the device you're sending to takes either. They're both single ended.

jasonhanjk

Is there any difference between cards for the SPIDIF out? I mean do they "color" the sound (intentionally that is) or are they attempting to send a pure and accurate signal?
No. Unless manufacturer adds EQ (by default) to it's SPDIF out or you enable effects by mistake.
Which can be easily disable.

Is USB interface preferred or will that introduce noise?
The problem with USB is it needs CPU resource. Do not get USB sound card if your PC is still using DDR2.
Some crack and pop sound may occur even with new PC, can be easily solve by clean install Win10.

Also if just feeding an amp from PC which is better; straight single ended or se to rca?
RCA is slightly better but your amp will likely diminish it's benefit.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Funnily you may actually have a double ended cable with the mini jack if it's the three wire kind. But digital only needs two. Aes ebu uses 3 wires, but not with that cable AFAIK.

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

Is there any difference between cards for the SPIDIF out? I mean do they "color" the sound (intentionally that is) or are they attempting to send a pure and accurate signal?
No. Unless manufacturer adds EQ (by default) to it's SPDIF out or you enable effects by mistake.
Which can be easily disable.

Is USB interface preferred or will that introduce noise?
The problem with USB is it needs CPU resource. Do not get USB sound card if your PC is still using DDR2.
Some crack and pop sound may occur even with new PC, can be easily solve by clean install Win10.

RCA is slightly better but your amp will likely diminish it's benefit.
Why would you need a USB sound card? I have a Windows 10 DDR4 set up w/usb 3.0
When I say SE vs RCA; I am referring to running the SE connection out of the sound card to a cable that goes from SE to RCA. I didn't think that would make a difference though since it starts out as a SE.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you looking for a DAC too with a separate amp?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ahh... I see. Well basically single ended RCA is a simpler system that generally can be a cleaner method of amplifying for headphones. Some single ended amps are better than balanced. Balanced has advantage in that it uses a differential system to cancel out distortion picked-up in the cables and whatever. Balanced requires more circuitry and so they have a larger retail expense.

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

Ahh... I see. Well basically single ended RCA is a simpler system that generally can be a cleaner method of amplifying for headphones. Some single ended amps are better than balanced. Balanced has advantage in that it uses a differential system to cancel out distortion picked-up in the cables and whatever. Balanced requires more circuitry and so they have a larger retail expense.
My understanding id that balanced really gives you 4 times the power over single ended and resolves ground loops if there is a problem.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding id that balanced really gives you 4 times the power over single ended and resolves ground loops if there is a problem.
Yes, all true. It also gives you added distortion and stuff from extra components in the signal path. Balanced is good but it's not the end all and be all for everybody. You've picked out some nice gear that is balanced. What headphones are you running?

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

Yes, all true. It also gives you added distortion and stuff from extra components in the signal path. Balanced is good but it's not the end all and be all for everybody. You've picked out some nice gear that is balanced. What headphones are you running?
New; Sundara's Old; Grado SR325i and Sennheiser HD590 and a Sony MDR1A for a closed. Just getting back into it, and it has changed a lot since 2005

Top Bottom