• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB-SPDIF shootout proposal

bequietjk

We live in a time where digital music is a staple and high quality playback is important to us. But are we getting the full potential of the systems we invest in?

Amir, you've turned me on (and many others I'm sure) to the Audiophilleo and I've come across the Matrix Audio XSPDIF converter, along with the Wyred4Sound uLink converter. Not only these, but what else can we roundup and hopefully get a competition going for greatest USB-SPDIF converters? Is it even worth doing a comparison and will they be relevant in the near future?

Cheers. Back to work xD

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir, you've turned me on (and many others I'm sure)

I’ll just leave this here :)

On a more serious note though, I think the testing Amir has done so far of various USB-SPDIF converters and inbuilt USB implementations in DACs indicates that there’s little need for a shoot-out; performance of even quite cheap devices seems to put any issues well below audible thresholds...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
On a more serious note though, I think the testing Amir has done so far of various USB-SPDIF converters and inbuilt USB implementations in DACs indicates that there’s little need for a shoot-out; performance of even quite cheap devices seems to put any issues well below audible thresholds...
That's it really. It is rather boring testing them trying to tease out tiny differences. I think you can safely shop on basis of price among the ones I have reviewed. You can see the latest one from holo audio here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-digital-amp-dac-dac-hs.6370/

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
agree with Amir. even cheapest digital-to-digital will work. It is a purely interface conversion operation, there is no audio to test.

Voo

I have used the topping d10 with good results...also have used the signstek 20 buck converter that did same thing

Ratatoskr

Basshead.club already did an S/PDIF Battle a few years ago but still relevant.

OP
bequietjk

bequietjk

I don't know. I've been following Luckbad for some time now and own a Project Horizon myself. Personally, I found a huge difference adding a D10 to my chain, but that was before I had a usb spdif converter, so I don't have anything else to reference. He's actually the first person to help me consider using an LPS for my amp and it made an insane difference just as you all know the impact it can have on a system.

Veri

Master Contributor
Last edited:
Top Bottom