• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB interface question

Kiwimike

Hello , just a short question, I'm looking at getting the SMSL D6S DAC .
My question is can you listen to music files from a portable HDD via the USB Interface ?

Thanks for your time.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey,
It's got to be plugged into a computer for that. It can do it via Bluetooth though, but a DAC like that can't recognize a hard drive on it's own.

JSmith

Master Contributor
My question is can you listen to music files from a portable HDD via the USB Interface ?

Thanks for your time.
Hello and welcome to ASR. :)

AS @Dunring said, not just with a DAC only... it's for USB audio from a another device like a Pi4, streamer etc.

Have you considered a DAC/streamer in one unit, like this?
This will accept an external HDD via USB.

JSmith

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor

Thanks for your time.
Hello @Kiwimike Modern connections like USB-C make this less obvious, but USB is simply a computer-to-peripheral bus. It treats a computer as a central hub and has USB "spokes" connecting peripherals like printers, HDDs and mice and DACs. One end must be a computer. A DAC is a peripheral and an HDD is also a peripheral. So you can't plug them together, there needs to be a computer in the middle.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
One end must be a computer.
For certain definitions of 'computer' - most people don't tend to think of things like a NAS, router or streamer as being a computer, even though that's effectively what they are internally. This can add to the confusion.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
For certain definitions of 'computer' - most people don't tend to think of things like a NAS, router or streamer as being a computer, even though that's effectively what they are internally. This can add to the confusion.
I get that. I was doing corporate IT when USB began being commonly used. The cable had two different ends: the rectangular end could only be plugged into a computer in those days; and the square end went into printers, tape drives, external HDDs, scanners etc. DACs were not a thing.

These days pretty much everything has a processor and UI. Mice, keyboards and printers are clearly still peripherals.

But it must be confusing for people to work out why a dedicated streamer is a host and an ADC/DAC is a peripheral. I feel sorry for people new to this, such as the OP!

Top Bottom