• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

charleski

Major Contributor
Here's a figure from Ken Pohlman's book that shows what's actually happening with oversampling, note that filtering out the unwanted ultrasonic images is an integral part of the process. After the processing the data is then downsampled in a similar fashion, again applying the proper filter to get rid of the unwanted images, along with the ultrasonic junk caused by the processing.
Screenshot 2023-06-27 094004.png

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
In the context of digital effects, upsampling can be useful since running them at a higher sample rate will make nonlinear effects (e.g. compressors or amp simulators) behave more like their analog counterparts. A prime example would be brickwall limiters, which in the olden days (before about 2012) were quite notorious for introducing nasty aliasing artifacts. Basically, nonlinear operations in the digital domain are not inherently band-limited, and frequency components generated past fs/2 will "wrap around" and end up somewhere in the audible spectrum. The higher fs, the more the out-of-band components will already have decayed (as they generally do go down with frequency) and the more they are spread out. Even a factor of 2 tends to help a lot.

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

In the context of digital effects, upsampling can be useful since running them at a higher sample rate will make nonlinear effects (e.g. compressors or amp simulators) behave more like their analog counterpart
That's why I was trying to upsample the signal before EQing but the implementation of SOX resampler is linear in JRiver which is not what I'm prefer.

A prime example would be brickwall limiters, which in the olden days (before about 2012) were quite notorious for introducing nasty aliasing artifacts.
I've setup Fabfilter Pro L2 as a brickwall limiter.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In the context of digital effects, upsampling can be useful since running them at a higher sample rate will make nonlinear effects (e.g. compressors or amp simulators) behave more like their analog counterparts. A prime example would be brickwall limiters, which in the olden days (before about 2012) were quite notorious for introducing nasty aliasing artifacts. Basically, nonlinear operations in the digital domain are not inherently band-limited, and frequency components generated past fs/2 will "wrap around" and end up somewhere in the audible spectrum. The higher fs, the more the out-of-band components will already have decayed (as they generally do go down with frequency) and the more they are spread out. Even a factor of 2 tends to help a lot.

Yes, but please clarify a brickwall limiter is not a brickwall filter (LPF).

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

Here's a figure from Ken Pohlman's book that shows what's actually happening with oversampling, note that filtering out the unwanted ultrasonic images is an integral part of the process. After the processing the data is then downsampled in a similar fashion, again applying the proper filter to get rid of the unwanted images, along with the ultrasonic junk caused by the processing.
View attachment 295173
My grey cells are now busy learning it...

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
That's why I was trying to upsample the signal before EQing but the implementation of SOX resampler is linear in JRiver which is not what I'm prefer.
What's wrong with that? I can't imagine that this is a realtime application where the higher latency of FIR filters might matter?

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why? It's destroying the bit-perfect recording that you probably started with. Run your DAC in exclusive, bit-perfect mode instead.

One reason could be the DAC has a not optimal upsampling itself and doing it in software could improve that..

charleski

Major Contributor
the implementation of SOX resampler is linear in JRiver which is not what I'm prefer.
It makes sense to use minimum-phase for filters in the audible band, though the ringing only really becomes audible if using a steep filter slope. But anti-imaging filters are happening right up at 22kHz (the ringing is actually a chirp with the max amplitude at the filter frequency) and the ringing is effectively inaudible. This is why all the hoo-haa over different DAC filters is largely a waste of time (as long as they attenuate properly).

In fact, I once ended up using a maximum phase filter (with all the ringing preceeding the impulse) because I hadn't read the SOX documentation properly. I couldn't hear the difference when I switched it to linear- or minimum-phase.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
[nm, redundant delete] You all drank my milkshake. ;>

Last edited:

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear ringing all the time! It's called tinnitus.

I blame my DAC.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ooh, I can pull up an AES paper too! By Julian Dunn no less. From 1998.

Anti-alias and anti-image filtering: The benefits of 96kHz sampling rate formats for those who cannot hear above 20kHz.

Anti-alias filters are used to limit the bandwidth of a signal being input to a sampled
system, such as a digital audio system, so that it is less than one half the system
sample rate.
In the reverse process, anti-imaging (or reconstruction) filters are used at the output
of a sampled system to eliminate spectral images of the desired signal.

Your dCS guy is using lazy terminology. You've been thoroughly corrected on this. I suggest accepting that and moving on.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That’s just wrong
I disagree. What happens with a Sigma-Delta DAC without a reconstruction filter? You get an aliased voltage * time domain signal resembling stair-steps. Thus, an anti-aliasing filter is still correct. I do not dispute that it's called an anti-imaging or reconstruction filter, but it's all the same thing.

index.php

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not dispute that it's called an anti-imaging or reconstruction filter, but it's all the same thing.
No, it’s not the same thing. They are reverses of each other. Two sides of the same coin, but still different sides.

As also detailed by wiki:
Anti-aliasing filters are used at the input of an analog-to-digital converter. Similar filters are used as reconstruction filters at the output of a digital-to-analog converter. In the latter case, the filter prevents imaging, the reverse process of aliasing where in-band frequencies are mirrored out of band.
Emphasis is mine..

Top Bottom